Flight Physical Experience Part 1
renderTimingPixel.png

I am a 27 year old civilian currently building my packet to join the California National Guard as a Warrant Officer and yesterday I went through my first phase of the Class 1A Flight Physical at Fort Irwin, CA. I wanted to share my experience for those interested in how this process works as I was one of those people as of a couple days ago. Obviously, YMMV.

I called my local WOSM who gave me the phone number to the Community Hospital on base to schedule my physical. I called and scheduled it myself and was told to be there at 0800. On the day of my physical, I drove to base, got my visitor pass from the visitor center, and drove to the hospital. I checked in at primary care at 7:30 am and got called in at 8:05 am. I was in a small room with 6 other people and the flight nurse gave us all a packet of information to fill out (basic medical packet - emergency room visits, allergies, etc). In the packet was a map of base and a list of requirements for my Class 1A Flight Physical (Labs, Dental, Optometry, Audiology, Anthro, & EKG). She instructed us on how to fill out the packet and that once we were done with all of the requirements to report back to her with all the signed documents to schedule part 2. This was basically like a medical scavenger hunt. All of the requirements were by walk-in only (except for optometry which they scheduled for me at 11 am).

1. Audiology - This was in a building across the street. I walked over from the hospital and they took me right away. I sat in a sound proof room and put on headphones and held a jeopardy-like buzzer and was told to press the button every time I heard the tone. After about ten minutes she told me that my hearing was good, signed off on my paper and I was on my way.

2. Dental - This building was next door to audiology. I walked over and they gave me a little sheet to fill out (standard dental/medical questions). I was a little nervous because I've had a root canal and some fillings before but that did not matter. I got a few x-rays done and then the dentist looked them over, looked over my teeth for about 5 minutes and said I was good. He signed my paper and I was done.

3. Labs - This was back in the main hospital. I went to the desk where they gave me a cup to pee in and a number. I went to the bathroom, peed in the cup, went back and gave them my pee and sat and waited to have blood drawn. They called my number, took 4 vials of blood, signed my paper and then I was done with labs.

4. Optometry - This part took the longest. They gave me 3 different eye drops that dilated my eyes and she told me that my vision would be blurry for the next 24 hours (which I was not expecting). First they tested eye pressure by blowing some air in each eye. Then they had me cover each eye and read a couple letters on the board from afar. Then they gave me 3D glasses and a sheet with some figures on it. I had to tell them which figures were 3D. Then they did a color test where you read them the the colored numbers that are hidden in a different colored circle. After that the optometrist inspected my eyes with a big microscope looking tool and then had me look at a few different charts and say which one looked more clear (chart a vs. b etc.). She said my vision was good but I might need reading glasses when I'm in my 40's. She signed my paper and I was good.

All that took place between 8:05 am and 12 pm. The flight nurse wasn't back in until 1:30 pm so I wandered around base pretty blind for about an hour and half, ate some pizza, then went back to the hospital. I met back up with the flight nurse at primary care who looked over my packet, made sure I had all my signatures, and then scheduled my phase 2 for my "Anthro" and EKG which I will go do next week.

All in all everyone was really helpful, the medical questions were super basic, and the experience was pretty straightforward. I was pretty nervous about all of this but everyone I met throughout the process made me feel at ease. I am a healthy guy with no history of medical problems except for some stitches I got when I was 6 (which I disclosed on my medical form) so like I said YMMV. Hope this helps inform others who are interested in what the process is like for a civilian getting a Class 1A flight physical done for the first time.

TL:DR: Flight physical wasn't that bad (so far).

Flight Physical Experience Part 1
renderTimingPixel.png

I am a 27 year old civilian currently building my packet to join the California National Guard as a Warrant Officer and yesterday I went through my first phase of the Class 1A Flight Physical at Fort Irwin, CA. I wanted to share my experience for those interested in how this process works as I was one of those people as of a couple days ago. Obviously, YMMV.

I called my local WOSM who gave me the phone number to the Community Hospital on base to schedule my physical. I called and scheduled it myself and was told to be there at 0800. On the day of my physical, I drove to base, got my visitor pass from the visitor center, and drove to the hospital. I checked in at primary care at 7:30 am and got called in at 8:05 am. I was in a small room with 6 other people and the flight nurse gave us all a packet of information to fill out (basic medical packet - emergency room visits, allergies, etc). In the packet was a map of base and a list of requirements for my Class 1A Flight Physical (Labs, Dental, Optometry, Audiology, Anthro, & EKG). She instructed us on how to fill out the packet and that once we were done with all of the requirements to report back to her with all the signed documents to schedule part 2. This was basically like a medical scavenger hunt. All of the requirements were by walk-in only (except for optometry which they scheduled for me at 11 am).

1. Audiology - This was in a building across the street. I walked over from the hospital and they took me right away. I sat in a sound proof room and put on headphones and held a jeopardy-like buzzer and was told to press the button every time I heard the tone. After about ten minutes she told me that my hearing was good, signed off on my paper and I was on my way.

2. Dental - This building was next door to audiology. I walked over and they gave me a little sheet to fill out (standard dental/medical questions). I was a little nervous because I've had a root canal and some fillings before but that did not matter. I got a few x-rays done and then the dentist looked them over, looked over my teeth for about 5 minutes and said I was good. He signed my paper and I was done.

3. Labs - This was back in the main hospital. I went to the desk where they gave me a cup to pee in and a number. I went to the bathroom, peed in the cup, went back and gave them my pee and sat and waited to have blood drawn. They called my number, took 4 vials of blood, signed my paper and then I was done with labs.

4. Optometry - This part took the longest. They gave me 3 different eye drops that dilated my eyes and she told me that my vision would be blurry for the next 24 hours (which I was not expecting). First they tested eye pressure by blowing some air in each eye. Then they had me cover each eye and read a couple letters on the board from afar. Then they gave me 3D glasses and a sheet with some figures on it. I had to tell them which figures were 3D. Then they did a color test where you read them the the colored numbers that are hidden in a different colored circle. After that the optometrist inspected my eyes with a big microscope looking tool and then had me look at a few different charts and say which one looked more clear (chart a vs. b etc.). She said my vision was good but I might need reading glasses when I'm in my 40's. She signed my paper and I was good.

All that took place between 8:05 am and 12 pm. The flight nurse wasn't back in until 1:30 pm so I wandered around base pretty blind for about an hour and half, ate some pizza, then went back to the hospital. I met back up with the flight nurse at primary care who looked over my packet, made sure I had all my signatures, and then scheduled my phase 2 for my "Anthro" and EKG which I will go do next week.

All in all everyone was really helpful, the medical questions were super basic, and the experience was pretty straightforward. I was pretty nervous about all of this but everyone I met throughout the process made me feel at ease. I am a healthy guy with no history of medical problems except for some stitches I got when I was 6 (which I disclosed on my medical form) so like I said YMMV. Hope this helps inform others who are interested in what the process is like for a civilian getting a Class 1A flight physical done for the first time.

TL:DR: Flight physical wasn't that bad (so far).

That is quite an experience.....because in SC, I did not do that at all. I did partial labs (since I was not in the military, they would not pay for it). Also, I had to submit from my own paid for Eye exams, rest of blood work, and one more thing I cannot remember....but jokes on them, I didn't pay for medical because I come from a family of doctors and I am a mooch!

Other than that, be prepared for a long road. I know CA has a great reputation with the Street to Seat from what I have read, but it IS a LONG road. I was accepted in June 18 and just got my dates 2 weeks ago. If you have any questions please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Fort Irwin was my last duty station before leaving the Army and I did 2 flight physicals while there. The way they schedule their physicals is the most annoying out of the 5 places I've done them.

That said, the scavenger hunt is the standard experience for every flight physical I did while in the Army. On years that you can do a short form you'll get to skip a couple steps but it's always at least a 2-part process. The policies vary from post to post when it comes to what is walk-in vs what needs an appointment. But you're always going to be running all over post like a chicken with your head cut off. LoL

I would say if this happens to anyone else give some pushback.. I'm a civilian, no prior service, and I had everything (including full labs) scheduled through the flight surgeon's office. Only thing they didn't really do was dental, they just glanced at my mouth and signed the papers but I didn't have to bring in any records or pay for anything...

That is quite an experience.....because in SC, I did not do that at all. I did partial labs (since I was not in the military, they would not pay for it). Also, I had to submit from my own paid for Eye exams, rest of blood work, and one more thing I cannot remember....but jokes on them, I didn't pay for medical because I come from a family of doctors and I am a mooch!

Other than that, be prepared for a long road. I know CA has a great reputation with the Street to Seat from what I have read, but it IS a LONG road. I was accepted in June 18 and just got my dates 2 weeks ago. If you have any questions please let me know!

• 4 weeks later...

So how long did you have to wait to get scheduled for the flight physical?

I sent my medical records (lasik and another surgery) in February 11 and have been waiting ever since.

That sounds a bit weird. My recruiter scheduled my physical for me. The flight surgeon's office won't contact you about it, afaik.

After the MEPS medical, I didn't need to send LASIK or other medical paperwork anywhere. I just brought a copy when I went to the flight physical, to be safe

So how long did you have to wait to get scheduled for the flight physical?

I sent my medical records (lasik and another surgery) in February 11 and have been waiting ever since.

I had to schedule my own eye exam and fax the results to the nearest flight surgeon. After faxing my results the flight surgeon office called me within three days of faxing them to schedule a flight physical. The soonest possible appointment was three months - you should have been contacted by now. Scheduling the physical is the easy part.