Just Started My WOFT Packet

Hey guys I just started my WOFT Packet(civilian). This is my first post so i'm hoping you all can provide some insight. As of today I have only taken the ASVAB and got a 140 GT. I will be taking the SIFT next month.

GT: 140

SIFT: 65+ (estimate)

APFT: Working hard everyday. Should be around 250

Education: 45 college credits, 2.3 GPA, 2 years high school JROTC

Flight: None

LOR: CW3, CW2, O3, (working on more)

My recruiter told me I need a way to make my packet "stand out." I'm thinking that my 140 GT score along with a high SIFT score will be sufficient. Any thoughts?

Also how important is getting that associates degree? What about associates degree vs private pilots license? Or both? Getting one or both is my plan if i don't get selected the first go around.

Thanks!

From what Ive read on this forum a good APFT + Why I want to be an Army Aviator ESSAY > good ASVAB + SIFT scores. Im cant imagine the higher scores would hurt though! Also 3 high quality LORs are better than 6 ok LORs because the board doesnt have much time to look through your packet and will most likely just choose 3 to go over. I have not submitted my packet yet but this is just what Ive read. Not sure about the degree. In the March Board thread someone recently posted the average stats of those selected that go around, check it out!

From what Ive read on this forum a good APFT + Why I want to be an Army Aviator ESSAY > good ASVAB + SIFT scores. Im cant imagine the higher scores would hurt though! Also 3 high quality LORs are better than 6 ok LORs because the board doesnt have much time to look through your packet and will most likely just choose 3 to go over. I have not submitted my packet yet but this is just what Ive read. Not sure about the degree. In the March Board thread someone recently posted the average stats of those selected that go around, check it out!

I saw that. Were those stats street to seaters only?

I saw that. Were those stats street to seaters only?

I'm not totally sure.

Also, what kind of training are you doing to get your PT score up? I started pretty low and have been using a 6-week APFT program from "Mountain Tactical" that has been working well for me. I'm 5 weeks in and have shaved over a minute off my run time so far and upped my push-ups and sit-ups by 15+ reps. Always interested to hear about more methods of improving though.

As others mentioned. Your test scores are one of the lowest factors.

The APFT is generally considered most important. The essay and LoRs are going to be the next thing to do well. High test scores never hurt though and very well may be the difference of being selected over another candidate.

For your LoRs you are in the right direction. Limit it to 3 good ones. Also try to have ones from people that know you on a personal level and can speak about your character and leadership characteristics. Having 3 from aviators that don't know you may not be the best thing to do.

Of course this is all hearsay and guesses based on what people do on this forum. We don't really know exactly what the board wants.

• Like 1

I'm not totally sure.

Also, what kind of training are you doing to get your PT score up? I started pretty low and have been using a 6-week APFT program from "Mountain Tactical" that has been working well for me. I'm 5 weeks in and have shaved over a minute off my run time so far and upped my push-ups and sit-ups by 15+ reps. Always interested to hear about more methods of improving though.

Just doing chest 2-3 times per week and doing sprints twice a week and a long distance run once. I have been trying to find a more structured plan. I'll probably check out the one you're doing.

As others mentioned. Your test scores are one of the lowest factors.

The APFT is generally considered most important. The essay and LoRs are going to be the next thing to do well. High test scores never hurt though and very well may be the difference of being selected over another candidate.

For your LoRs you are in the right direction. Limit it to 3 good ones. Also try to have ones from people that know you on a personal level and can speak about your character and leadership characteristics. Having 3 from aviators that don't know you may not be the best thing to do.

Of course this is all hearsay and guesses based on what people do on this forum. We don't really know exactly what the board wants.

Thanks for the insight. I was under the impression that the SIFT was the most important part.

Thanks for the insight. I was under the impression that the SIFT was the most important part.

They got you covered.

Im not sure in what order, but essay, LORs, and APFT certainly appear to be the 3 most important things. A SIFT score above 60 helps Im sure.

I would talk with your recruiters about whether to include that college experience. Your GT score is god tier but thats not reflected in your GPA. And with no degree Id consider whether including the 45 credits helps or hurts you.

PM me if youd like input on improving your APFT score.

For what it's worth, I didn't have any CW LoRs. The only aviator LoR I had was from an O3 but it was a homerun.

Agreed on what was said about the PT score and GPA.

My feeling is that as long as your stats are average and have well-written LoRs and essays, you will be in the game. What would drive it home is if you really shine with a couple of them.

Mine was, I think, my GT and that portion on the actual application where I wrote "Why I want to be ...", then took my best three jobs and pointed out my work integrity, my leadership potential, and my experience operating machinery valued high $$$.

It's your job to tell them why they want you.

Pro tip: when writing your essay, don't be afraid to consult a thesaurus.

• Like 2

Based on the memorandum that was shown to me, they used the "Whole Person Concept" in selection. I had a meh SIFT score (55), APFT (261), and GPA (2.69 and 2.44).

I've also gone through a lot of the stats of civilian-selectees with scores close to mine. What stood out was there LORs (e.g., aviators in the program, top brass) and their relevant aviation experience (e.g., flight time, mechanical/aviation related degrees/work/MOS).

Having worked policy before, It's more of what they get out of hiring you instead of someone else. I suggest thinking from the point of view of a businessman when submitting your packet. What does the businessman say when he goes over an application? Personally I'd think: "Who is this person connected to? If I hire him, what do I get out of it? Will he mix well with the rest of the flight officer cohort?" This is the reason why LORs are so important.

I had only one aviator letter in my packet, and the rest were from CWs and my previous civilian boss. However, all of those LORs detailed my relevant work/life experience (e.g., flight safety investigation, procurement for airports, professional licenses/certifications).

And about the Essay. You're going to have to capture everything valuable about you in it - in the most non-boring way possible.

This is just my opinion. But, I strongly believe this is what got me in.