1 reply to this topic

#1 Dave0392

Dave0392

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:50

Hey everyone,

So, I've shifted my focus from active to guard because of a civilian job opportunity and I'm trying to navigate the process with a guard recruiter. The unit by me has already taken all the pilots that they're taking for this year and my recruiter has brought up going enlisted on a 1 year contract, saying that it'll give me a better shot at getting selected on next years board and staying in the unit. I was a helicopter maintainer in the Marines, so I would join as a 15T and get to keep my rank. I know recruiters have their mission and will say anything to get it done, so I was looking for any advice or insight on possibly taking this path.

#2 penlandc

penlandc

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:07

Hey everyone,

So, I've shifted my focus from active to guard because of a civilian job opportunity and I'm trying to navigate the process with a guard recruiter. The unit by me has already taken all the pilots that they're taking for this year and my recruiter has brought up going enlisted on a 1 year contract, saying that it'll give me a better shot at getting selected on next years board and staying in the unit. I was a helicopter maintainer in the Marines, so I would join as a 15T and get to keep my rank. I know recruiters have their mission and will say anything to get it done, so I was looking for any advice or insight on possibly taking this path.

Do it.  You will most likely get a signing bonus, time in the unit, and knowing the people who you will be around for the next 6 years will be worth the 1 year.  

The way the NGB does street to seat slots is difficult and takes some time (mine took 18 months).  There is a guy I know who is enlisting as a 15R and already got the go ahead for getting a flight school slot. 

My opinion, is see if they will go ahead and board you, do all the necessary due-diligence, and ask them to go ahead and offer a slot for the next FY.  Worst thing they can say is no.  But get ready for a ride if you stick with the Street to Seat side.....the NGB can be difficult to navigate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

PrecisionVRForumHome200Guidance Home 200HeliHelmets-VR HomeBLR 200Spectrum_VRHome200LakeSuperior200Genesys VR Forum 200MaunaLoaVRHome200FreeFlight_Home200