Fire pilot shortage?

Fred0311

I notice there are still quite a few companies advertising positions for fire pilots and I would expect them to have been filled by now with the season so close. I know the company I work for will probably have a helicopter grounded this year for want of a pilot. Do you think we'll start seeing more of this or is JSFirm just reposting old adds? I saw that once before where a company paid for a recurring add and never took it down.

• Like 1

Whatever gave you that idea,...ha!

Bluesky Helicopters is now accepting resumes for the upcoming fire season and beyond. We currently have H-60 SIC positions available but will consider PIC positions for the right candidate. Bluesky operates a fleet of H-60L, A+, and A model Black Hawks as well as a B-206L. All aircraft are based in the Los Angeles area. Relocation to the LA area is preferred but not mandatory.

Schedule is a 12/12 but may flex to a 12/2 for fire season depending on staffing and fire needs. We offer a competitive compensation package and promote a healthy work life balance.

JOB REQUIREMENTS

Minimum SIC Qualifications:

500hrs PIC in Helicopters

Good Attitude, ready to learn

Eligible to work in the U.S.

There must be a shortage of cherry driers too, as Bob posted another ad,...though he put the location as Pensacola, :D
  • Like 1

Whatever gave you that idea,...ha!

There must be a shortage of cherry driers too, as Bob posted another ad,...though he put the location as Pensacola, :D

That was actually a really fun job. Can't make a career of it (unless your Bob) but it was a great way to spend a summer.

I see it continuing like this for a while with the impact airlines have had on the industry. In order to find qualified pilots fire contractors are gonna have to compete with EMS and powerline operators when it comes to pay and schedule. A 12 and 12 with good pay will have to become the standard if companies want to be competitive.

I could see it pushing smaller operators out of buisness. I don't see the Forest service increasing rates so companies can afford to pay more and hire more pilots for 12 and 12. Maybe they'll get the hint if they can't get enough aircraft this summer.

• 3 months later...