Possibility of a fixed wing transition?

I referenced this website immensely during my journey to becoming an Army Aviator, I now i'm back looking for any guidance and a glimmer of hope. I'm at K16 in Korea, and to say i'm not enjoying my time here and my career so far is a huge understatement. I really hate to negatively speak about the Army, but it's just the honest reality of my situation. All my friends that selected fixed wing are enjoying their careers and are happy they went that route. My question to any experienced guys is; is there any way possible to transition to fixed wing after your first assignment? I ask this with full knowledge that the fixed wing boards no longer exist. I guess i'm just looking for a glimmer of hope to get out of Army rotary wing aviation.

P.S. I would also be willing to try out for the group, but I don't know if they would be willing to let you transition to their fixed wing side. Would anyone know if that's possible or have a contact that would be able to answer that question? Thanks in advance for any advice, even though I know the majority of responses will be telling me to suck it up lol.

I referenced this website immensely during my journey to becoming an Army Aviator, I now i'm back looking for any guidance and a glimmer of hope. I'm at K16 in Korea, and to say i'm not enjoying my time here and my career so far is a huge understatement. I really hate to negatively speak about the Army, but it's just the honest reality of my situation. All my friends that selected fixed wing are enjoying their careers and are happy they went that route. My question to any experienced guys is; is there any way possible to transition to fixed wing after your first assignment? I ask this with full knowledge that the fixed wing boards no longer exist. I guess i'm just looking for a glimmer of hope to get out of Army rotary wing aviation.

P.S. I would also be willing to try out for the group, but I don't know if they would be willing to let you transition to their fixed wing side. Would anyone know if that's possible or have a contact that would be able to answer that question? Thanks in advance for any advice, even though I know the majority of responses will be telling me to suck it up lol.

Doubt it man. The only aircraft transitions Ive heard of as far as staying big army was when they offered 60 guys transitions to 64s when manning got really bad. After first assignment, im gonna say zero chance. After ADSO, maybe?

They weren't even offering fixed wing transitions when they retired the Kiowa and put ~900 aviators out of an airframe. I'll never say it can't happen, but it's incredibly unlikely. Especially if you tell them it's because you're unhappy with your choice :lol:

Edit: They weren't offering it to warrant officers. I know quite a few o-grades who jumped over to fixed wing once the OH-58 went away.

What are you expecting to find in the fixed wing world and what are you hoping to get away from in the rotary?

Edited by SBuzzkill

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2019 at 10:40 AM, SBuzzkill said:

They weren't even offering fixed wing transitions when they retired the Kiowa and put ~900 aviators out of an airframe. I'll never say it can't happen, but it's incredibly unlikely. Especially if you tell them it's because you're unhappy with your choice :lol:

Edit: They weren't offering it to warrant officers. I know quite a few o-grades who jumped over to fixed wing once the OH-58 went away.

What are you expecting to find in the fixed wing world and what are you hoping to get away from in the rotary?

CTC rotations and the field :D

I'm in the same boat, more or less, and am almost 1 year out from my flight school adso expiring. I was curious if there were any updates by the OP, so I'm bumping. 

I guess getting fixed wing in WOFT is like getting a F-22 out of flight school in the AF. Being an RLO, from time to time, they are given fixed wing transition in taking command of a unit.

Be thankful you do not have the 10 yr ADSO in being somewhat disappointed in your Army aviation career. Keep your kidney, you only have 2.