Housing (utilities, hurricanes, safety, etc.)

Hi guys. I've read the previous threads on housing, but I still need some help on deciding whether to live On-post or Off-post.

1) How much do you SINGLE soldiers average for utilities a month for On-post and Off-post housing? (I've read that On-post housing only covers "some" utilities.)

2) On hurricanes, how often do they happen at Rucker? (I'm considering renting a mobile/trailer home, but I don't want to get blown away together with the cheap thing.)

3) Is Daleville that bad/ghetto/unsafe? Would I need a baseball bat or gun if I rent there? I'm assuming most folks in Daleville are military, so I don't get what's dangerous. (On google maps, Daleville is way closer than Enterprise, and it would be a shame if I just picked Enterprise cuz everyone else is doing that.)

4) Have anyone of you managed to make Ozark and Dothan work? Can you share your experience. (There's this Rucker student over Dothan looking to share an apartment for 350 dollars.)

5) Have any of you managed to negotiate an extended stay with a hotel :)

6) Most people on previous threads say its a hassle to go home and shower if you live Off-post. Doesn't the Army gym have showers and lockers we can use? (I'm thinking along the lines of just using that and my car's storage for books to change and get to class after PT, flightline, etc.)

7) Now, for the heaviest question. In relation to #6 and BAH, do we have to substantiate our housing expenditures? (Hypothetically, what if one of us is a cheapskate and decides to live in his car and pocket the bah lol.)

• Like 1

1. On post all utilities are included in your rent, off post it varies depending on where type of dwelling ETC

2. Ive been here over a year and one hurricane

3. Daleville is like all poor southern towns has some nice areas and some very rough areas

4. Dont do it, every class has one student who lives there and is constantly late.

5. Not that I know of

6. Gyms do have showers, but imagine a small locker room with 3-4 benches and 100-200 people trying to change, its a PITA also when your in class Youll probably only PT after class.

7. Once you are qualified for BAH the Army doesnt care how much you try to save. Plenty of students here in two bedroom apartments with roommates to pocket the savings

• Like 2

1. I save about 200-300$ in BAH each month and I am single in a 2 bedroom apartment in Enterprise.

2. Same as previous. We got lucky and it missed Rucker with the worst part.

3. Overall from what I have seen Daleville is just older and the rentals seem less maintained with a similar cost to Enterprise. (But I didnt look to hard for a place there) I did have 1 buddy who stayed there and when we was moving he decided in his own words that he didnt want to slum it anymore. He also only saved about 100-200$ more living in Daleville for a 1 bedroom.

4. Yeah Dothan is a ways off.

5. I havent heard of it apart from maybe some W2 buddies who come back for follow on courses. But thats a difference of weeks compared to 1-2 years.

6. They do. The beginning courses generally give you 2 hours after PT till your next time you need to be anywhere. So its right in the weird spot of enough time to go home but also gotta have some hustle in your step. Then during flightline you will PT on your own and thats generally after. I have used the gym a few times though and it works out.

7. Army doesnt care. For the longest time I'm pretty sure there was a guy on Rucker living out of his extended Sprinter van.

• Like 1

1. On post all utilities are included in your rent, off post it varies depending on where type of dwelling ETC

2. Ive been here over a year and one hurricane

3. Daleville is like all poor southern towns has some nice areas and some very rough areas

4. Dont do it, every class has one student who lives there and is constantly late.

5. Not that I know of

6. Gyms do have showers, but imagine a small locker room with 3-4 benches and 100-200 people trying to change, its a PITA also when your in class Youll probably only PT after class.

7. Once you are qualified for BAH the Army doesnt care how much you try to save. Plenty of students here in two bedroom apartments with roommates to pocket the savings

1. I save about 200-300$ in BAH each month and I am single in a 2 bedroom apartment in Enterprise.

2. Same as previous. We got lucky and it missed Rucker with the worst part.

3. Overall from what I have seen Daleville is just older and the rentals seem less maintained with a similar cost to Enterprise. (But I didnt look to hard for a place there) I did have 1 buddy who stayed there and when we was moving he decided in his own words that he didnt want to slum it anymore. He also only saved about 100-200$ more living in Daleville for a 1 bedroom.

4. Yeah Dothan is a ways off.

5. I havent heard of it apart from maybe some W2 buddies who come back for follow on courses. But thats a difference of weeks compared to 1-2 years.

6. They do. The beginning courses generally give you 2 hours after PT till your next time you need to be anywhere. So its right in the weird spot of enough time to go home but also gotta have some hustle in your step. Then during flightline you will PT on your own and thats generally after. I have used the gym a few times though and it works out.

7. Army doesnt care. For the longest time I'm pretty sure there was a guy on Rucker living out of his extended Sprinter van.

Where do you live in Enterprise? Are most listings not available online?

Can you personally tolerate just showering and dressing up in the gym on a daily basis if you live off base?

Is there like a garage sale of furniture on base like the lemon lot for used cars?

I also noticed after I moved in there wasn't a lot of information on apartments that was easily accessible. But it is all around Jackson Crossing, Lincoln Square, Madison Park, and Wakefield Townhomes. I personally know folks in both Jackson Crossing and Wakefield. Both of em seemed to be in fairly decent condition as far as I can tell. Then you'll also find the odds and ends online for random smaller listings but those are all the main complexes.

I generally go home in between PT in class and just occasionally hit the gym and Dfac for breakfast. Some guys I know do that everyday though.

Uhhh, I haven't looked into furniture much... I'm sure there are but I havent heard of any post sponsored ones.

• Like 1

I don't know anyone that has done extended stay in a hotel there. I do have friends that lived in trailers, apartments, houses, on base, off base, in Ozark, in Dothan, in Enterprise, Daleville, pretty much anywhere you could think of in the area. Almost everyone who lived in Dothan regretted it. It's just a little too far.

As for living in your car. Dude, it's hot as hell in the summer and super humid. You're going to be making decent money and they're giving you a housing allowance. If you want to save money go get yourself a shitty apartment somewhere.

Edited by SBuzzkill