Advice on Drafting LORs

So guidance from my unit is to draft my own O3 and O5 LOR and then they will red ink, return and fine tune from there. I'm not exactly sure on what I should focus on for each LOR. Essentially my plan is to break it up into 2/3 paragraphs but want to obviously cover different areas with each.

For unit CDR:

- Leadership traits befitting of a warrant

- quantifiable achievements back up traits

- summarize with recommendation/potential

BN CDR:

- efforts that impacted BN+ level

- characteristics/potential

- endorsement

Suggestions? Examples would also be appreciated if anyone wants to share.

Here is a good outline for your BC LOR: (I serve in SOF so somethings may not be applicable)

It is with great pleasure that I personally recommend RANK XXXX to be selected to become a 153A Rotary Wing Aviator.

RANK XXXX is a highly intelligent Non-commissioned Officer/Soldier and has always demonstrated the utmost character and professionalism consistent with our ARSOF Attributes and the Army Values. RANK XXX continually accomplishes all assigned tasks above standard and has achieved accolades while operationally deployed. The United States Army would highly benefit from investing in RANK XXX by enrolling him/her into Warrant Officer Candidate School. His/her growth and development as an outstanding NCO have provided him the key leadership qualities, moral courage, and common sense essential for becoming a successful Warrant Officer. In conclusion, RANK XXXX also possesses the intelligence, fortitude, aptitude and drive to become a technical and tactical subject matter expert in the field of Aviation as a Rotary Wing Aviator. I whole heartedly recommend RANK XXX for acceptance as a 153A Rotary Wing Aviator.

And here's for your company commander:

I strongly recommend RANK XXXX for entry into the Flight Warrant Officer program. RANK XXX has served in [iNSERT UNIT] for [TIME]. During this time, RANK XXXX has done [iNSERT ACCOLADES, ACHIEVEMENTS, DEPLOYMENTS, ETC]

RANK XXX has displayed a high level of maturity and leadership ability. He/she has shown the ability to work at levels above his/her grade and should be placed in positions of greater responsibility. RANK XXX is a winner and a leader. He/she is able to adapt to any situation and rise to the occasion. He/she has the mental, physical, and interpersonal skills to succeed in any position he/she is put in. I am confident he/she will succeed as an Aviation Warrant Officer.

NOTE: I was a first time select with these LORs. Make sure you highlight your achievements. I've been told the board weighs these two LORs heavily since they're the ones that work closest to you and have had time to evaluate your leadership abilities.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Good luck!

Like the other guy said, you want to specify YOU and YOUR achievements that affected at a higher level. For me it went the first paragraph was the intro/generic "he's great, pick him". The second paragraph I had the BC comment on the board study halls I ran for my company and that we won't all the Soldier and NCO of the Quarter last fiscal year. Last paragraph I had it mention "I've spoken with long-standing members of the battalion staff, both enlisted and officer, and they can all speak on his character. Watching this Soldier arrive as a Private and explode into the fiery leader he is, it is no surprise he wants to apply to be a Non-Commissioned Officer and feel he would do the Army a great service being one."

I'm my O-Room Sergeant, so my CO had a lot to say about me. Really just any additional duties you have and anything you've done great for your platoon/section. For me it was armorer through a deployment, for you, it might be a BOSS rep or whatever.

Here is a good outline for your BC LOR: (I serve in SOF so somethings may not be applicable)

It is with great pleasure that I personally recommend RANK XXXX to be selected to become a 153A Rotary Wing Aviator.

RANK XXXX is a highly intelligent Non-commissioned Officer/Soldier and has always demonstrated the utmost character and professionalism consistent with our ARSOF Attributes and the Army Values. RANK XXX continually accomplishes all assigned tasks above standard and has achieved accolades while operationally deployed. The United States Army would highly benefit from investing in RANK XXX by enrolling him/her into Warrant Officer Candidate School. His/her growth and development as an outstanding NCO have provided him the key leadership qualities, moral courage, and common sense essential for becoming a successful Warrant Officer. In conclusion, RANK XXXX also possesses the intelligence, fortitude, aptitude and drive to become a technical and tactical subject matter expert in the field of Aviation as a Rotary Wing Aviator. I whole heartedly recommend RANK XXX for acceptance as a 153A Rotary Wing Aviator.

And here's for your company commander:

I strongly recommend RANK XXXX for entry into the Flight Warrant Officer program. RANK XXX has served in [iNSERT UNIT] for [TIME]. During this time, RANK XXXX has done [iNSERT ACCOLADES, ACHIEVEMENTS, DEPLOYMENTS, ETC]

RANK XXX has displayed a high level of maturity and leadership ability. He/she has shown the ability to work at levels above his/her grade and should be placed in positions of greater responsibility. RANK XXX is a winner and a leader. He/she is able to adapt to any situation and rise to the occasion. He/she has the mental, physical, and interpersonal skills to succeed in any position he/she is put in. I am confident he/she will succeed as an Aviation Warrant Officer.

NOTE: I was a first time select with these LORs. Make sure you highlight your achievements. I've been told the board weighs these two LORs heavily since they're the ones that work closest to you and have had time to evaluate your leadership abilities.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Good luck!

Thank you! This is definitely a good foundation I can build upon.

Like the other guy said, you want to specify YOU and YOUR achievements that affected at a higher level. For me it went the first paragraph was the intro/generic "he's great, pick him". The second paragraph I had the BC comment on the board study halls I ran for my company and that we won't all the Soldier and NCO of the Quarter last fiscal year. Last paragraph I had it mention "I've spoken with long-standing members of the battalion staff, both enlisted and officer, and they can all speak on his character. Watching this Soldier arrive as a Private and explode into the fiery leader he is, it is no surprise he wants to apply to be a Non-Commissioned Officer and feel he would do the Army a great service being one."

I'm my O-Room Sergeant, so my CO had a lot to say about me. Really just any additional duties you have and anything you've done great for your platoon/section. For me it was armorer through a deployment, for you, it might be a BOSS rep or whatever.

I appreciate your advice. I as well was the armorer for about a year, master driver, SHARP rep and a few other misc duties.

I wrote my own LOR for my company commander(O3), BN commander(05), and a CW4. My LOR's were kind of generic and talked about how I can bring my current MOS skills over to aviation and how I want to not only be a pilot but potentially in a position of leadership/mentorship. In my opinion I don't even think my BN commander looked at the LOR; I'm assuming he asked my commander's opinion and just signed the LOR, but what did help me was the 4 AAM's i earned in 2 years as a PFC.

What I think helped me with my CW4 LOR is I came to him with a 100% ready for board packet minus the LORs. That showed him that I was serious and not just dipping my feet in the water. My LOR for him was kind of generic but he was happy with it. He also interviewed me about airframes that I'd like to fly and the missions that each one has.

What I think is the most important part is having a LOR that is already made. In my opinion an O5 or CW4 is not going to set time aside to write an LOR from scratch for someone they don't know. Having the initiative to write an LOR about yourself, which I found very hard to do, is part of the process.

I submitted my packet as a PFC and was selected and what I focused on since I had a lack of resume was my improvement of APFT score, receiving awards, how my current MOS could give me an advantage in the aviation field, and my desire to be a leader/mentor. Also spoke about me being young how it is an advantage to the Army and that they can invest in me and I can invest in the Army.

• 4 weeks later...

also... if he really wants you to get selected he would point you towards a CW4 or 5, he/she has a boss! That's how I got my LOR, I sat down with the senior-most warrant in my company (CW3) and afterwards he "hooked me up" with a CW5.

One more questions for everyone,

Is there a certain rank I should should aim for the SWO LOR? I have a meeting with a CW3 SP soon and not sure if I should keep shopping around?