• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jas01470

jas01470

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 15:20

Do you know of anyone that has worked a tour season for TEMSCO that has lived out the season in a camper/RV? I know that living in the provided housing is all part of the experience, but my wife and I would really like to get the full experience (including the drive from the lower 48 to Juneau/Skagway). Having our own place, even if it's only a fifth wheel camper, is a must with my wife and dog.

As we think this through, the questions that keep coming up are, "Are there affordable RV camping options for an extended stay?", "Will we be able to navigate the ALCAN during early spring and mid-fall", better yet "When exactly are new TEMSCO recruits required to be there for the start of the season/training and when does it end?". 

Flying for TEMSCO is at least another 2 years away for me as I am a relatively fresh CFI. However, with how tough it is to find information on this specific subject, I thought getting started sooner is better than later. Thanks in advance for any insight. -J

• TomPPL likes this

#2 RagMan

RagMan

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 17:48

Im sure its doable to spend the spring/summer in an RV somewhere. Though Juneau is landlocked, only way in or out is by plane or ferry/barge. Not many areas to get on the road and travel around from there.

Skagway has a highway that runs out to the North so you can get out and about. Its a lot smaller of an area than Juneau. There is a train that travels from Skagway into Canada.

Training starts early April in Ketchikan around the 2nd. You pay for your flight up. If youre not there when class starts, you lost out. Season will end first week of October. Training Lasts most of April and you wont get paid during this time. Youre an employee when you pass your 135 ride, at which time theyll cut you a small check, $375 or so for passing. You will work 6 days a week and have 1 day off. They pay once a month. You dont get to really choose what base you go to. The company will choose for you. Last half of the season, you can expect to start getting a couple days off per week. Dont go to a Temsco to travel around alaska. You wont get that kind of time off. Go there to fly Astars, get mountain time, and enjoy the views from above.

Theres at least one RV campsite in Juneau, Skagway Im not sure. Dont know about prices.
  • TomPPL likes this

#3 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 07 July 2019 - 23:03

Thousand hour pilots don't get paid during training?,...damn that sucks dude! Even five hundred hour cherry drying pilots get paid during training,...sh*t, even Fedex paid me during their three weeks of training!

Well, I hope those Astars are really nice :D
  • TomPPL likes this

#4 jas01470

jas01470

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:15

Thank you for the info RagMan. 

We would like to leave a month or so early from the St. Louis, MO area and enjoy the trip up to one of the ferry terminals with the fifth wheel. Once we arrive in Ketchikan for training, we don't plan on traveling around. At least not until we have to hitch back up to head to Juneau/Skagway. It will 100% be for building turbine/Astar/mountain time. The trip up, back down and being able to have my wife with me are all just +'s. It looks like I'll need to start saving up to cover that lag in income!

Working 6 days/week I'd assume you build quite a bit of hours. Do you have an idea of what the seasonal average is?

Butters, not getting paid for training will be rough. However, from what I've read on the forums, TEMSCO training is second-to-none so I'll take it. We have an Astar AATD at my flight school...we'll see if that helps me out at all. 

• TomPPL likes this

#5 Little Bird

Little Bird

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:28

I had mates in both Skagway and Juneau that lived in RVs.
Once you pass your training (3-5 weeks) youll be assigned a base. Depending of how quickly you pass through training you may or may not have a choice. Once they send you on your way youll hit the ground running in terms of further base training, so youd have to take Marine Highway (aka ferry aka blue canoe) with your RV. Problem is if the boss wants you at your base the next day, the ferry schedule may not accommodate you. One solution would be to base yourself in Juneau as its the bigger base and most pilots are assigned there. If you get allocated Skagway then figure out the ferry schedule and work out a day off with your Base Manager and then transfer the RV that way.
Ragman is correct with the other info.
I know the Skagway RV Park is pet friendly but it is small.
In my second year, a whole group of people did the ALCAN south at the end of the season, maybe 3-4 vehicles from RVs to sedans.
I loved Skagway so much. I wish my wife could work from there because Id return in a heartbeat.
Best of luck.
  • TomPPL and jas01470 like this

#6 Little Bird

Little Bird

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:29

To add, season flight time depends on the base. In Skagway the group ran from high 200s to low 300s both seasons.

#7 jas01470

jas01470

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 15:28

Thanks Little Bird. It's sounding like my best option might be to roll the dice and set up in Juneau and leave the wife there while I complete training in Ketchikan. Would you say that you prefer Skagway over Juneau? If so, why? I know it doesn't really even matter since bases are assigned, I'm just curious. 

Also, I totally understand if you'd rather not share, but what did you earn on your first and second years there? 

• TomPPL likes this

#8 Little Bird

Little Bird

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 20:12

Skagway is a very small town. 700 odd permanent residents growing to over 10,000 people on a 4 ship day! Its crazy to see. But once everyone goes, the town is quiet again! I liked that you can bike everywhere. So much nature to take advantage of; hiking, paddle boarding, skiing, snow shoeing, drinking, frisbee golf, swimming etc. You got to know a lot of people quickly and theres always something going on in town. If you like small and can entertain yourself then Skagway is for you. On the other hand if you want more entertainment like bars and restaurants and a better variety of groceries then Juneau is the choice. Its just small town versus big town I guess.
Salary was between 3.5 and 4.5, cant remember exactly.
  • TomPPL likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TEMSCO, Tours, Camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Genesys VRForum200_GeneralMaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200LakeSuperiorGeneral200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200Spectrum_VRGeneral468BLR Gen 200HeliHelmetsGuidance General 200FreeFlight_General200