Funding for Flight Training. What are the best steps to take?

So I've been through a hell of a ride this last year since I separated from the military. I had a solid plan to get out last July, pursue my license in Las Vegas through Charter College. I was going to use my G.I. Bill to pay for this school but so many things happened in between May of last year and January of this year. The flight school I was going through got bought out, lost V.A. funding, and Charter College withdrew their aviation program all in that 7 month span. I tried going through vocational rehabilitation, they said they won't help because even though the flight school I want to go through is VA approved, it's not through a college. The Nevada State voc rehab said the VA's determination on my disability is not good enough and they won't help either. It took 6 months to get 2 no's. Now I just got approved for my Montgomery G.I. Bill because Post 9-11 is terrible for vocational training and I'm trying to get a loan so I can pay the other portion since MGIB will only pay 60%. No one wants to give me a loan without and insane interest rate, even putting up my car as collateral and having excellent credit. Are there any options for funding out there? I know that not everyone has the VA option so what is done instead? I'm on Plan E now and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get this done at this point. I already have my PPL with 55.5 hours and i'm trying to continue on. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Switch back to post 911 gi bill. Move to an area were you can use it. Anything else is a massive waste of benefits. The rules have changed a bit since I did it but it covered 100% of my flight training, my degree, and gave me a housing allowance. It's worth the move.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Son you need to go to a legit school. Call Silverhawk Aviation Academy in Caldwell Idaho. Legit, VA approved 100% funding.

I've heard some good things out of Silver Hawk with instructors having 100% of their flight training paid for through the VA. My flight school is I think opening up here soon a school in Dallas, TX flight partnered with a college, I'm not up to par with all the in and outs but it accepts VAED instrument/commercial/CFI/CFII. Veracity Aviation, they have been treating me right so far. If I could go back and redo something, I would move to a place that could pay for as much as possible. Helicopter training is too expensive, the VA is the only reason I am pursuing this as a civilian.

Well...you have heard...and I gave advise...can lead a horse to water...cannot make it drink.

When advise that’s sound is given..then try and follow it, change your mindset, open up to doing more than you are..and you will find more in life than what your experience is at the moment.