Bell 212 cyclic position

Agog

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think it must be the darn great swashplate spring. With engines off, when I depress the FTR, I am actually able to manhandle the cyclic back to a centred position, and all is now right with the world.

Apart from me wondering what is the function of the spring...

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think it must be the darn great swashplate spring. With engines off, when I depress the FTR, I am actually able to manhandle the cyclic back to a centred position, and all is now right with the world.

Apart from me wondering what is the function of the spring...

The spring on the the swashplate is the swashplate balance spring. It can and usually does pull the controls when static, at least it did on the 212s I worked on. When rigging the controls on a 212, the spring is required to still have tension when the fwd/rh horn is at it's lowest level, so it will never not have tension on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was taught the swashplate spring is on both 205/212 to assist in hydraulic off forces. The rotor system will give you feedback ( aft cyclic ) and the dissymmetry of lift would tilt the rotor slightly to the left, so that spring is designed to hold it FWD / RIGHT.

Dual HYD off in 212 is against the RFM, but we train it in the 205 since many models are single HYD and its not terrible.

• Like 1