Interservice Transfers - How does it work?

I was street-to-seat but have a few friends looking at putting in packets and trying to give guidance.

I would imagine they can drop a packet without any type of consequence, meaning whether or not they are selected they will either continue with their current job and service or shift to WOFT.

What are the differences between a civilian packet and an interservice transfer packet?

I know theyll have to request conditional release from their Branch. Conditional releases also expire at a certain point... Some of the Interservice transfers selected along with me were worried about having class dates that would allow them to separate in time before their conditional release expires. Other than that, Im not too familiar. I know there are multiple interservice transfer selectees on this forum. Hopefully they can provide more guidance.

Step 1 is your conditional release (DD-368) you can start building your own packet of you want but your recruiter wont spend much time on you until you have a signed 368.

Step 2 is building the strongest packet you can, this will include taking the SIFT and getting your flight physical, if you are current service you should be able to schedule these on your own and not wait for your recruiter, this is how I avoided a 6 month wait for the physical. Make sure you have strong LORs and write a high quality essay.

Step 3 will be you recruiting Bn QCing your packet and making sure everything is included correctly and you are board ready. If you are coming over from being a commissioned officer there is only ONE board per year for you and its in January so backplan your timing (with more room than you think youll need for error) to make this board.

Step 4 go to the board and get selected then follow the instructions of the selection letter and get your class date.

This makes it sound easy, but an IST is an administrative night mare and it took me 1.5 years to get board ready, always seeming to be waiting on one more signature or one more document.

If you have any specific questions hit me up. I did my IST this year and am in class at rucker now

• Like 1

Step 1 is your conditional release (DD-368) you can start building your own packet of you want but your recruiter wont spend much time on you until you have a signed 368.

Step 2 is building the strongest packet you can, this will include taking the SIFT and getting your flight physical, if you are current service you should be able to schedule these on your own and not wait for your recruiter, this is how I avoided a 6 month wait for the physical. Make sure you have strong LORs and write a high quality essay.

Step 3 will be you recruiting Bn QCing your packet and making sure everything is included correctly and you are board ready. If you are coming over from being a commissioned officer there is only ONE board per year for you and its in January so backplan your timing (with more room than you think youll need for error) to make this board.

Step 4 go to the board and get selected then follow the instructions of the selection letter and get your class date.

This makes it sound easy, but an IST is an administrative night mare and it took me 1.5 years to get board ready, always seeming to be waiting on one more signature or one more document.

If you have any specific questions hit me up. I did my IST this year and am in class at rucker now

Same here. I just checked, my conditional release was approved Sept 2018 but it still took me 10 months to get all the ducks in a row before finally getting the stamp of approval for the July 2019 board.

Similar to the Coastie above, if I don't get a early enough class date, I'll have to get a conditional release extension also.

Good luck!

I'll echo the administrative nightmare sentiment. I've been going back and forth with my S-1 formatting this conditional release for six months. Hoping to have it signed off by HQMC for the 22 Nov packet submission deadline for the 13 Jan board but doubt it. If I have everything else squared away by 22 Nov can I submit my packet then add the DD368 as a "correction?"