98 replies to this topic

#61 Hobie

Hobie

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:25

For both male and female pilots, right? So why is it important to focus on the gender when it's a female pilot that screws up but focus on the actions when it's a male pilot?

Nothing in my words indicate nor suggest gender.  Yes, you are right bad habits can occur in all people. 

It is too bad our politically correct culture has so much infiltrated our perception or filter of reality.  Often gender has no bearing to the actions or is part of an issue, but becomes the major focus of a story.  Our left leaning politicians and our press seem to be particularity guilty of this.

#62 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Interests:Remembering when I used to admire the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet, alone in the 22 :(

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:26

For both male and female pilots, right? So why is it important to focus on the gender when it's a female pilot that screws up but focus on the actions when it's a male pilot?

You seem to like frivolous crusades, so perhaps you can shed some light on this for me?

What happened to the word "sex"?

Unisex bathrooms are now "gender neutral" bathrooms, transexuals are now "transgenders", and on forms and applications where it used to ask for my sex, it now asks for "gender"!

Did the word "sex" offend you people, and if so, how,...?
  • Nearly Retired likes this
https//:https://youtu.be/oY-pdk_FWh0

R.I.P. flying for fun :(

Can't believe I got banned from JustHypocrites,...again!

,...oh wait, yes I can :D

#63 Soon2be2LT

Soon2be2LT

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:48

Well, if nothing else, at least Nearly Retired got some content going on this forum.  :wub:

• Fred0311 and Nearly Retired like this

#64 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Well, obviously flying and anything aviation...but motorcycling as well. And drinking (when I'm not riding of course!). Oh, and Facebook. Always on Facebook (Bob Barbanes).
  • Company working for:Golden Wings Aviation, Brewster, WA (part-time)

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:06

Hobie, with all due respect, I believe AlluhAkbar was referring to me.  I've consistently referred to the subject of this thread as "she" and "her," something AkAr finds extremely troubling.  But AkAr can go piss up a rope, if that's even possible for her.

Moving on...

Is this one of the major risks/set-backs for single operator 135 outfits? Or part 91 I guess too....Theres no one to catch your bad habits developing. Theres no second set of eyes help ensure standardization. Perhaps a YouTube video and the follow on comments will help fill that void in some odd way???

Ah, but even when there *is* someone to catch your bad habits, bad things can still happen!

Take the crash of a Grumman Gulfstream IV on takeoff in Boston back in 2014.  It was a corporate G-IV, and the two jokers flying it were not kids (age 45 and 61) and they were VERY experienced and very highly regarded among their peers.  They'd both been with the company for over ten years.  One of them was the Part 91 flight department's Chief Pilot.  They'd both flown with each other dozens if not hundreds of times.  So there's two guys who you'd never suspect of making a dumb mistake, eh?

But they did!

They had made a short flight from Atlantic City, NJ to Boston's Hanscom Field.  They arrived in daylight and knew they were going to be there for a couple of hours.  One of them set the control lock (gust lock).

Their principal and his party returned after dark, a little after 9 pm.  The pilots were probably asleep in recliners in the FBO, snoring away like pilots do in between flights.  Wakened from a presumably deep slumber, they hopped in and, with the practiced ease of you getting in your PT Cruiser for a trip to Walmarts for your weekend "hope-I-get-lucky-at-the-bar-tonight" supplies (Cheetos, a case of Keystone Light and a box of Trojan condoms, extra-small), they fired that big jet up and taxied out for takeoff.  Headed home, less than a 45-minute flight.  Easy-peasy.  Milk run.

During the pre-takeoff checks,  Neither pilot did one of those, "Controls - Free and correct" checks in which you move all of the controls to their limits - like when we helicopters "wipe the cockpit out" with the cyclic and collective and pedals.  The G-IV pilots didn't do it on this flight, and evidently they were in the habit of not doing it at all, it turned out.  An audit showed that in the past 150+ flights they had only used the checklist twice.  Twice.  Because they had it memorized, right?  And on May 31, 2014, in the dark cockpit of the G-IV, neither one of them noticed that they'e forgotten to release the gust lock.  The handle was not lighted nor noticeable.

The Gulfstream IV is supposed to have a pin that prevents dumb pilots from advancing the throttles if the controls are locked.  For some reason, this feature on this particular G-IV did not work as designed.  The pilots were able to advance the throttles - sort of.  They pushed them up a bit and then engaged the autothrottles to handle it from there.  The PF noted that he couldn't push the throttles up very far, but did not associate that with the gust locks being on.  Hey, come on, he only had 8,000+ hours!  But even the autothrottles couldn't get the power up to the usual takeoff setting.  But the jet was light and probably didn't need full power to takeoff that night.

Anyway, the G-IV accelerated down the runway.  Almost immediately the PF started complaining that the controls are locked.  He didn't abort as he shoudl have, mind you, he just complained.  It takes a few moments for them to realize that the controls can't move because the dang ol' control lock is still on!  The only approved way to get the lock off once the engines are running is to shut down the engines and de-power the hydraulics.  But there's an unapproved workaround!  By momentarily hitting the hydraulic shut-down switch (called the FPSOV), you could get the lock off.  But!  That wouldn't work - the gust locks won't release if there are aerodynamic loads on the control surfaces, which by now there were.  Ooopsie!

By the crew finally decided to abort it was waaaaaaaay too late.  The G-IV ran off the end of the runway and crashed, killing everyone - all seven people - on board.  

So you've got your checklists memorized, eh?  You would never make a dumb mistake like that...like two pilots with 8,000+ and a 14,000+ hours, eh?  We don't need no steengkeeeng checklists!

Me, I don't know what the answer is when it comes to combating complacency.  You fly alone, you get complacent.  You fly with another pilot (the same pilot) for over ten years, you both get complacent.  Obviously, the subject of this thread - the person who by order of AkAr must not be referred to as a male or female - has become pretty complacent.  Her...damn, I mean this pilot's airmanship is horrible.  Wait, can I even say "airMANship?"  Isn't that sexist?  I wish I was more PC.  I hate offending people...of any gender!  

Kathryn's Report of the G-IV Accident

Philadelphia Inquirer Article About G-IV Accident 

YouTube Recreation Done By NTSB

• adam32 likes this

#65 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 21:40

Oops.

Edited by mudkow60, 30 August 2019 - 21:40.

#66 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 21:41

How do you delete something... oops 2!

Edited by mudkow60, 31 August 2019 - 10:18.

#67 AkAr

AkAr

COM Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 16:22

I wouldn't say I'm troubled, amused is closer to the truth. It's amusing seeing how affected you are by another person's body parts. I'm used to keyboard warriors typing things they'd never say to me in person, so that's also amusing to me. Watching you fade farther into irrelevancy gives me lots of pleasure! 😂

Butters, there's a subtle difference between sex and gender, but to me the context clears up any confusion. If somebody says sex when they mean gender I can figure it out just fine, doesn't bother me.

Edited by AkAr, 31 August 2019 - 16:27.

#68 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Well, obviously flying and anything aviation...but motorcycling as well. And drinking (when I'm not riding of course!). Oh, and Facebook. Always on Facebook (Bob Barbanes).

Posted 31 August 2019 - 16:39

How do you delete something... oops 2!

Just mention the name of the subject of this thread - it'll get deleted for you! ;-)

AkAr: What's funny is you implying that *you* have any relevancy...or any more than I do.  Hey, here's a thought: Why not change your profile so that it reflects your true sex...I mean, gender?  It's clear to everyone here that you're a woman.  Oh, and trust me, missy, everything I say here I'd say to your face.  Ask any of the guys on here who know me personally.

#69 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 19:09

bHaJV3g.png

• Whistlerpilot and Nearly Retired like this

#70 AkAr

AkAr

COM Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:26

AkAr: What's funny is you implying that *you* have any relevancy...or any more than I do. 

Not surprising that you'd confuse implying with inferring. I didn't imply anything. You'll be gone soon and the helicopter world will be a better place for it.

Edited by AkAr, 01 September 2019 - 08:26.

#71 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:00

Not surprising that you'd confuse implying with inferring. I didn't imply anything. You'll be gone soon and the helicopter world will be a better place for it.

If you are actually in the helicopter industry, you come across as someone who does not take advice or criticism kindly from those that have more experience and understanding of aviation than you.

#72 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Interests:Remembering when I used to admire the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet, alone in the 22 :(

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:14

You'll be gone soon and the helicopter world will be a better place for it.

Oh come now, if Bob leaves they'll be no one left to dry cherries but 500 hour Robbie Rangers, and well,..."her"!

Yeah that's right, I don't know how you did Bob, but the 58 guy said I was the highest time guy of all the new hires by like 200 hours!,...woo that's sad!

I don't want to say there's a pilot shortage, but,...

,...maybe there is a pilot shortage :o
  • Nearly Retired likes this
https//:https://youtu.be/oY-pdk_FWh0

R.I.P. flying for fun :(

Can't believe I got banned from JustHypocrites,...again!

,...oh wait, yes I can :D

#73 helonorth

helonorth

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 13:18

If you are actually in the helicopter industry, you come across as someone who does not take advice or criticism kindly from those that have more experience and understanding of aviation than you.

Somebody out there still thinks this is about aviation? Wow.

#74 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 13:35

Somebody out there still thinks this is about aviation? Wow.

I guess I am always the optimist... heheh...  So, what is this about... a fruit?  (re: cherries)?

#75 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 19:51

Missy, I can assure you- I know the difference between implying and inferring.  I choose my words very carefully.  Unlike you.

Saying that the helicopter world will be a better place after I'm gone is, I think, being awfully and unnecessarily nasty and cruel.  Bitter, too. I've never said anything that personally bad about you (although I may have thought it...okay, I have thought it).  Seems to me you have some serious man-hating issues to deal with.  Why do you hate men so much?  Do you wear a lot of plaid?  Did your dad not give you enough attention when you were growing up?

Look, I've spent a long time in this industry, sweetie.  I've done a good job for all of the people I've worked for.  I've mentored and counseled and encouraged more pilots than all of the guys you'll ever meet on Tinder. Or Grinder, whichever is your choice app for meeting men.  I've given over 100 Young Eagle rides.  Not 100 kids...100+ rides in my two-seat airplane(s).  I write stupid articles on stupid websites like this for no money, just so maybe...maybe it causes another pilot to laugh and think a little bit about how he goes about manipulating and conveying these crazy contraptions through the air. 

And what have you done?

I've seen the future of helicopter aviation, the new crop that's going to take my place.  And you know what?  I'm generally not impressed.  I'm not impresed with guys who crash perfectly good LongRangers into the Hudson River because some paranoid R-44 instructor convinced them that 206's are just a hair-breadth away from getting into uncontrollable LTE.  I'm not impressed with 206 pilots that can't even land a goddamn B-model on a dolly without rolling it over.  And I'm especially not impressed with ol' whatserface, Mrs. doesn't-use-a-checklist, doesn't-do-a-pretakeoff-check, doesn't-do-a-hover-check, flies-low-over-people's-houses, and crashes-her-helicopter-into-trees-at-night-while-diddling-her-iPad.

Oh yeah, this is some industry that'll be better when *I* leave! 

You can have it.  See if you can make a difference, hon.  Maybe  you can be...you know...relevant.

• adam32 likes this

#76 AkAr

AkAr

COM Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 23:47

Saying that the helicopter world will be a better place after I'm gone is, I think, being awfully and unnecessarily nasty and cruel. 

Perfect use of irony!

#77 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:20

Perfect use of irony!

Your grasp of irony is as solid as Alanis Morissette's.              

• adam32 and Nearly Retired like this

#78 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 16:09

And the hits just keep on comin'!

Man, oh man, I don't want to start nit-picking all of the YouTube videos posted by you-know-who...  But I've got to comment on one more - the one where this pilot gets to go up in a UH-1B/C.

First off - okay, you're a helicopter pilot and you've found someone who'll take you up in their Huey.  Great!  I'd jump on that opportunity like Hurricane Dorian jumped on the Bahamas - I'd be all over it. Probably with the same death toll.

And in fact, coincidentally this year I did get the opportunity to fly our UH-1B.  Yeah, we have one.  It needed to be repositioned from one parking spot to another (could not move it by ground), and so the boss generously invited me to come along and (ahem) take the long way around from Spot 1 to Spot 5.  In other words, "Come and get some stick-time in the Huey."  Which, for as long as we've had it, I've never flown it.  There were always PLENTY of other pilots who'd never flown one and desperately wanted the chance.  I was always happy to let others have the experience.  (I've flown a Huey before.  Meh- it flies like a big Bell 47.)  Anyway...on this particular day, it was only the boss and me around.  So let's go, man!

Okay pilots, what's the *first* thing we do whenever we get in a helicopter WHETHER WE'RE GOING TO FLY IT OR NOT.  Right, we adjust the pedals.  (And the seat, if it's adjustable.)  It's kind of automatic, right?  We just do it.  And we do it ESPECIALLY if there's the slightest, tiniest, most microscopic chance that we might get some stick-time in the thing, amirite?  

But not (INSERT PILOT'S NAME HERE).  Oh nooooooo.  Not him/her.  They get all the way through the start and the run-up, and just before they're about to lift off, (this pilot) figures out that he/she can't reach the pedals (or, as it turned out, the cyclic).  So now there's a big rush to adjust the controls, and he/she never gets it quite right...because they're up at 6600 rpm (or whatever) and the tiny dog is jumping around the cockpit causing a commotion, and they're burning jet fuel like an F-18 at full afterburner.

Oh. My. God.  I mean, really?

Needless to say, the flight did not go well.  You can't really get a feel for an aircraft if you can't comfortably reach all of the controls.  One thing we discover from the video is that the UH-1B does not like to fly fast.  He/she pushed it up to 90 knots, and the PIC advised to back it off to 70.  I had to laugh at that point, because I did the exact same thing on my ride in our B-model.  They'll do it, but they're just not happy going fast.

I really have to stop watching YouTube videos.  Especially his/hers.  I've run out of chill pills and my doctor won't write me a refill in the scrip.

#79 Tbarrier

Tbarrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 13:33

I had to stop watching after we lost cockpit audio, but I was surprised the start sequence didnt include any discussion about TOT, or is it TIT (Its been too long since Ive flown a Huey), whatsoever.

#80 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 17:47

Well...I know I sound like a broken record, but...had they used a checklist!...which they didn't...there probably would've been some discussion about the temperature limits.  Those T-53s start pretty cool though.  The temperature doesn't spike for the moon on light-off like some 206's do.  And I guess the PIC didn't think it was necessary to complicate things any more than necessary in his mansplaination.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralBLR Gen 200Spectrum_VRGeneral468LakeSuperiorGeneral200Guidance General 200FreeFlight_General200HeliHelmetsPrecisionVRForumGeneral200