BLUF: Trying to get as much info on flying in the National Guard as possible.

I've been spinning up a packet to apply to an AD WOFT board as a sister-service (USMC) IST. I'd like to weight all my options, so I'm looking into flying for MT National Guard. I know virtually nothing about how the Guard functions, so I got in touch with the WOSM and she answered some questions. There were a few things she didn't know so I wanted to reach out to this community and see what I could learn. Hopefully this will help others weighing their options as well.

1) Any personal experience or opinions in general? Has anyone in here gone AD to Guard or vice versa?

2) How does flight time work? Do you only fly during drill weekends or can you fly when you have spare time as well?

3) Does Guard rate flight pay? What about BAH/BAS?

4) For retirement, as I understand, pay is a percentage of whatever you would rate on active duty based on yearly points. Are there any restrictions on medical benefits?

5) Are there any current signing bonuses for aviation?

6) Are there any opportunities to attend AD training for things like 160th SOAR?

I've been spinning up a packet to apply to an AD WOFT board as a sister-service (USMC) IST. I'd like to weight all my options, so I'm looking into flying for MT National Guard. I know virtually nothing about how the Guard functions, so I got in touch with the WOSM and she answered some questions. There were a few things she didn't know so I wanted to reach out to this community and see what I could learn. Hopefully this will help others weighing their options as well.

1) Any personal experience or opinions in general? Has anyone in here gone AD to Guard or vice versa?

2) How does flight time work? Do you only fly during drill weekends or can you fly when you have spare time as well?

4) For retirement, as I understand, pay is a percentage of whatever you would rate on active duty based on yearly points. Are there any restrictions on medical benefits?

6) Are there any opportunities to attend AD training for things like 160th SOAR?

1. Guard the entire time, currently also a full-time tech likely heading to the airlines within the next 6 months. I've flown about 170 hours so far this year, which is more than I would have if on active duty. The Guard is a great route depending on what you're looking to get out of being in the military and if you can make it work with your civilian life. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to give them a shot.

2. You will typically be authorized 72 additional flight training periods (AFTPs) per fiscal year. These are the equivalent of one half day of drill pay and are yours to come in and fly, do academics, or provide mission support at your flight facility. Whether you fly on drill weekends will be unit dependent. Some will while others tend to focus on admin stuff since the whole unit is together in one place.

3. You will not get the full flight pay that active duty does. I have to do the math, but I believe for each AFTP I get 1/30th of the monthly rate. The same applies for drill. You will not get BAS or BAH unless you are on orders.

4. No idea. Someone else probably has the answer to this though.

5. Not that I'm aware of, hence why everyone is going to the airlines. If your state is severely hurting for pilots they may offer you one, but that will more than likely be individual. I do not know of any blanket bonuses being offered by NGB.

6. Not sure what you're asking here. Depending on your airframe, you will be able to support training events for active duty units. Chance of training with the 160th as a NG aviator? Likely slim to none. I'd recommend just going active if you are trying to eventually assess with them. Getting released by your state will be tough and your unit likely won't appreciate you using them as a stepping stone to go AD. They want people who will be there long term.

1. USMC to Guard here. Was USMCR and I am still in the pipeline for Guard aviation, so not flying yet. I have been drilling with a Guard Aviation unit the last 18 months and I am currently on ADOS doing R&R for officers and warrants. Guard aviation is the farthest thing in the world from the Marine Corps, both good and bad, so just be prepared for that. There was a USMC to Guard culture shock.

2. Answered

3. There is currently lobbying going on to get Guard full-time flight pay. That is not yet/currently the deal. The logic is Guard aviators fly the same minimums and maintain the same standards as the active component.

4. It's a point system. I don't fully understand it, but to get a sat year you need 50 points. One day of active duty is one point, a drill day is two days, an AFTP is one, etc. If you are on orders, its back to the one to one ratio. While you are in the reserves/guard, you are eligible for tricare reserve select. It's like tricare light... but it's wicked cheap compared to any civilian health insurance. You still are eligible for SGLI.

5. No as stated (though as your state unless they do something weird). if you take an enlisted job that pays a signing bonus, after the cash is paid out to you, that paid cash cannot be recouped if you go WOCS/OCS. Verify that your state has the policy, but I believe that is universal. So for example, we have had guys re-enlist for 20K and access into aviation shortly after, they keep their bonus. The bonus contract usually states there is an exception for WOCS/OCS.

6. Active duty schools are available. How hard/easy they are to get probably depends on a lot (a lot more than I understand certainly). As to 160th, it is not impossible to try out for them. To my knowledge we have had a few in my state go to 160th the past decade or so, one has recently come back Guard side. From what I understand your state will need to be willing to play ball. Some states are more or less willing to entertain it. We have also had guys do stints as instructors at Rucker, etc. Not sure how much of this had to do with needs of the state at the time, the pilots' standing with the state, etc. I would say the answer here is more of a maybe than a hard no. It likely won't be an option right out the gate. As stated, states hope for a long term commitment from you, but not being a douchebag goes a long way. A lot of the guys I have seen who got "screwed over" probably earned that to some degree.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. What do most guys do for civilian jobs? I was looking at life flight or Parks Service and it looks like a lot of their flying jobs require about 2000 hours Pilot in Command time.

You can pretty much count on not being able to get any civilian flying job out of flight school. As you said, many helicopter jobs require a minimum of around 2000hrs which is about 6-10 years down the road as an army pilot.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 5:13 PM, mike0331 said:

6. Active duty schools are available. How hard/easy they are to get probably depends on a lot (a lot more than I understand certainly). As to 160th, it is not impossible to try out for them. To my knowledge we have had a few in my state go to 160th the past decade or so, one has recently come back Guard side. From what I understand your state will need to be willing to play ball. Some states are more or less willing to entertain it. We have also had guys do stints as instructors at Rucker, etc. Not sure how much of this had to do with needs of the state at the time, the pilots' standing with the state, etc. I would say the answer here is more of a maybe than a hard no. It likely won't be an option right out the gate. As stated, states hope for a long term commitment from you, but not being a douchebag goes a long way. A lot of the guys I have seen who got "screwed over" probably earned that to some degree.

Would a similar concept apply for those trying to get into the XTP program through the Naval Test Pilot School at NAS Pax River?

On 10/1/2019 at 1:16 PM, 06butters said:

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. What do most guys do for civilian jobs? I was looking at life flight or Parks Service and it looks like a lot of their flying jobs require about 2000 hours Pilot in Command time.

Firefighter and Cop are also pretty good for the mix, from what I heard.

I’m currently looking into the former on top of vying to become a Black Hawk pilot with my local Guard Helo battalion (through Street-To-Seat WOFT).