2 replies to this topic

#1 Fred0311

Fred0311

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 15:43

So I've been offered a job as a contractor and I'm trying to figure what pitfalls there are to it. So far the obvious issues are health care and paying the employer side of taxes as well. But what haven't I thought of? If something ever went wrong would I face more liability than I would as an employee? Could an employer's insurance come after me if I'm not an employee?

#2 tumar

tumar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:12

I think yes

#3 RisePilot

RisePilot

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:16

Aside from the “odd” American construct of your job and your healthcare insurance being the same, being a contractor (with a corporate structure; not as a sole proprietor) can be quite advantageous as compared to being an employee.  Provided you are being paid more as a contractor (you should be), it should be a simple decision.

You have far more flexibility in tax, cashflow and deductions.  For very little money, you can set up a company and then set/negotiate your own contracts with customers.  Liability is limited to the company; not necessarily you as an individual. 

• Wally likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

LakeSuperiorGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200FreeFlight_General200HeliHelmetsGuidance General 200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralSpectrum_VRGeneral468BLR Gen 200