Military Training?

Hi I am looking at taking my commercial pilots licence. I am a Canadian citizen and as I understand it is getting to be impossible to get your licence with the military anymore. Is there any way that I could get into flight school as soon as joining the military. I am willing to fly in Iraq or anywhere. In fact I would be honored to. Thanks for the help.

We wish we had a real military, hawg2hawk.  No one who is really interested in military aviation takes the CF seriously.  Not to deride the actual serving members, however.  They do a pretty good job, given the budgetary bludgeoning they've received in the last 10-odd years.

Actually, rather than resorting to trash-talk, I'll admit that I assumed Currie was talking about the US military b/c he mentioned Iraq...and Satan will be skating to work before the Canadian Liberal government ever agrees to send soldiers to Iraq.

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Currie,

Have you managed to talk to any Canadian Military guys yet?  If not, I might be able to get you in touch with one near you or I can do my best if you wish to answer any questions about the Canadian Military.  I am in a rescue role now, but I do know lots of guys in the Tactical world that can probably answer questions for you if you have them.  These guys do go overseas to the war torn nations of the world.  The guys that I know that have done tours overseas come back with all sorts of stories and great memories.

It does take a while to get your wings in the military.  If I am not mistaken, the guys getting their wings now have about 4 years in the system.  For salary, I know that in the Canadian Helicopter industry, military pilots are well paid.  Go to "http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/engraph/home_e.asp?sidesection=6&Section=204.215&sidecat=21&Chapter=204#204.215" to see the pilot pay rates.  When you join, you don't make near as much, but once you get your wings, chances are that you will have enough time in that you will go straight to the rank of Captain or get it very shortly after wings.  The big catch to the military is that they want you to either have or get a degree.  I am not sure the details of the entry plans that are in place now but I know that we NEED pilots like you wouldn't believe.  If I remember right, we (The Military) are short by about 150 pilots (helo, multi and jet combined - roughly 60% are helo).  Also, a recruiting center can fill you in on the entry plans, but to get the best answers on what is like to be in the military or to be an operational pilot, talk to someone in the system, not the recruiting center.  If you ask them about "being a pilot" they will probably give you a line that if you do join, you would look back on as a serious line of bull@#$%.  Anyways, my 2 cents on recruiting centers.

Good luck in which ever way you get your pilots licience!

Let me know if you have questions, and I'll see what I can help you with.

GreatScot,

I can't argue with you and I agree on the Liberal assesment! :(

Cheers.

::rotorhead::

• 1 year later...

Hi Currie.

I'm a Norwegian Air Force student pilot. I also thougth it would be hard to get through the pilot selection. But when I look back at it, it wasn't that hard. Either you got what it takes, or you don't. It's as simple as that. I guess the Canadian and the Norwegian systems are pretty much the same. In that case, GO FOR IT!!! Many people try and many people fail, but some manage to pull themselves through the tests. You might be one of them you know... ;)

Good luck!

Sunny.