UpperLimit468VRFTForumHelicopter AcademyMountainRidgeHeliVRFT468FRASCA FT200
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Accredited Universities that offer a Helo Program?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 centrifugal_bumblepoppy

centrifugal_bumblepoppy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 21:33

The University of North Dakota has an excellent all around aerospace program, and they offer optional helicopter training in place of fixed wing for all required course credits. It's not only for ROTC/military training. Website is http://flightops.aer...du/helicopters/.

#22 Norcalguy

Norcalguy

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:17

It looks like I may be attending ERAU Prescott in the fall. I'm hopeing to minor in Helicopter flight with the training done through Guidnce helicopters. I would be very interested if anyone has experience with this program?

Thanks

#23 ascott20

ascott20

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Flying (obviously), Biking, running, all sports, reading, <br />--Always looking for a new aircraft or facet of aviation to check out!
  • Company working for:US Army (DUSTOFF)

Posted 19 February 2006 - 18:37

I went to ERAU in Daytona. That program is excellent in Prescott. Me and a couple instructors who were former helo drivers tried to lobby and bring the minor to Daytona my senior year. Unfortunately, Prescott is a little more forward thinking than Daytona is. Good luck with that man!
No rationalization, No hesitation, No compromise... JUST FLY THE MISSION!!!

#24 danter

danter

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:52

Just to let you know, the uvsc program is not included in your loan like I was told it was from the school that I trained at. One reason I trained at this school was because they said the uvsc program was included in the loan.

#25 Guido

Guido

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 21:38

<font color='#000000'>I'm looking for some sort of 2 or 4 year university that has a Helo program. (Like Embry Riddle for choppers)  Suggestions? Experiences?
Thanks</font>

#26 AdamSTL

AdamSTL

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 00:25

Just to let you know, the uvsc program is not included in your loan like I was told it was from the school that I trained at. One reason I trained at this school was because they said the uvsc program was included in the loan.

What school was it? If I remember right I was setting my loan up to go to USVC and they would be disbursing to the FBO? I don't recall though. I'm going to have to setup a different loan with a cosigner because although I am credit approved they want me to have money as well.

#27 danter

danter

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:22

What school was it? If I remember right I was setting my loan up to go to USVC and they would be disbursing to the FBO? I don't recall though. I'm going to have to setup a different loan with a cosigner because although I am credit approved they want me to have money as well.

The school that I am referring to is universal helicopters. Before I signed up I asked if the uvsc progrram is included in the loan and he told me yes it is. They also pay for the first two semesters and by the third semester you are on your own because there is no more loan money. Tuition now costs $17,000 and going up every year. I would think twice about this because you are going to be quite busy working as much as you can to pay back your loan.

#28 Tara

Tara

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 14:02

<font color='#000000'>Upper Limit Aviation in Salt Lake City, UT is affiliated with UVSC.  Students are able to complete the helicopter specific ground school and flight training through the flight school and receive a two or four year degree through UVSC (with the proper # of college credits of course).

information@ulaheli.com</font>

Can someone please help me to understand the degree options? I already have a bachelor's and am looking into doing Upper Limit Aviation affliated through UVSC. What are the advantages of having a degree in aviation, as opposed to just completing flight training? Is it strictly financially beneficial (can get financial aid) or are there career advantages? Can you get the financial aid through UVSC if not matriculated towards a degree? Any information at all would help me so much!

#29 aircav

aircav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 22:47

For those still interested, they are doing something pretty progressive at ERAU/Prescott. Right now there is a Helo FLight minor and the flight is done at Guidance Helicopter. In the three years the program has run, there has been well over 95% hiring rate after graduation. This year they plan to start a Helicopter Operations and Safety Minor that includes courses the industry has said they'd like to see.
This next year there is a move afoot to begin a new Helicopter Pilot Specialty under their existing Aeronautical Science Degree with their own (contracted or not) helicopter flight training (in-house).
Thing is; at 5000' and Robinson products, with direct links to Papillon for Internships, you won't get better prepared for the industry anywhere else.
It's where I'm sending my kid for certain.

#30 paddypowers76

paddypowers76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 16:01

Hi Ross85,
I am new to this site and iam very interested in becoming an helicopter pilot.
I live in Boston and had my intro flight at Norwood with the New England helicopter academy.....right now iam researching the best ways to go about the financing part of the training. If you have some info relating to this i would love to hear from you especially since you are in the same area as i...

<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I am at Bridgewater State College in Massachusetts. They have a fixed wing program affiliated with Delta airlines. The main reason I decided to go to this school was because they said that they would let me train in helicopters after i got the fixed wing rating i wanted. I had my private fixed wing when i got to college and then got my instrument, next I started doing my commercial helicopter at Plymouth Airport. I am the first kid at my school to do helicopter training. We would like to get more students so we can start a program like delta has. The school is great and the tuition is cheap because its a state school, which is good when flying costs so much. The school has been very cooperative with me in setting up pretty much my own program and its been fun. let me know if you have any questions.</font>

#31 betr_thn_Icarus

betr_thn_Icarus

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:18

I have zero personal experience with this school but www.bluesky-aviation.com says on their website that they have a degree through Utah State http://www.uvsc.edu/avsc . They are in sort of mid california.
"Semper Rotatus" -me

#32 Guest_No Bad Days..._*

Guest_No Bad Days..._*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2007 - 14:18

Does anybody know of any Helicopter schools in Riverside California. I would like to get my Commercial License and start a flying (Like everybody else).

Thanks,
No Bad Days...

#33 AngelFire_91

AngelFire_91

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Company working for:I'm not even sure where I was an hour ago.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 17:13

I graduated from the University of North Dakota with all the fixed wing ratings they offer, And got my commerical Helicopter Add-on from them as well. You do NOT have to be in ROTC to do the helicopter training but they do cater to ROTC a little more then Civi's. I have plenty of first hand knowledge about the program, so if you have any questions about it, or I can give my personal opinions, just ask.

#34 james28

james28

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 17:45

i would love to hear your personal opinion and the facts. please, do tell.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there aren't any old, bold pilots.

#35 JDMac2006

JDMac2006

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 22:15

are you able to get federal aid for both tuition and flight training through uvsc???

#36 AngelFire_91

AngelFire_91

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Company working for:I'm not even sure where I was an hour ago.

Posted 28 September 2007 - 20:40

I graduated from the University of North Dakota with all the fixed wing ratings they offer, And got my commerical Helicopter Add-on from them as well. You do NOT have to be in ROTC to do the helicopter training but they do cater to ROTC a little more then Civi's. I have plenty of first hand knowledge about the program, so if you have any questions about it, or I can give my personal opinions, just ask.

Personal Opinions aside, Just the Facts:
If you are starting without any ratings at all, you will be required to get a PPL Airplane in a piper warrior your first semester, then the next semester a PPL Helicopter in a H300. After that you will proceed to a semester of helicopter systems and transition into a Bell 206. Then the next semester is Helicopter aerodynamics and back in the H300, to complete your commerical ticket. Next semester is Basic Attitude Instrument Flying in the Bell, then a semester to complete the Instrument rating in the Bell.
Those are just flight classes. You will also be required to take Weather, Physiology, Law, Safety, and others to complete out the degree.

List of Degrees:
http://www.avit.und....duate/index.php

Here is a list of flight classes and project cost of each:
http://studentservic...opter/index.php

Full Course List:
http://www.avit.und....urselisting.php

A degree in commerical aviation helicopter requires:
Flight Classes
Avit 102, 142, 243, 244, 245, 346
Non-Flight
Avit 100, 103, 208, 250, 302, 309, 327, 403, 411, 430, Two of either 402, 405, 407

Various General Ed classes, Math, English, etc... I can get a Graduation Status sheet for any aviation degree offered that shows exactly what classes are needed, just PM me with your Email address and which degree program if you want to see it.

My Personal Opinions:
I feel that the school offers excellent classes and some of the best instructors around. But on the other side, I feel that the school consentrates too much on Black and White.... Regs, Policies, Procedures etc. I received my Private and Instrument Airplane outside of UND and feel I got more flying experiance there then I would have got at UND. However UND offers up a lot of training I don't think I could have had at my local FBO. UND is excellent at explaining how things work and educating people on aerodynamics and offering training classes, but almost all the flight instructors, lead instructors, course managers are graduates from UND, and most haven't done any flying outside of UND so they can't teach experience. A lot of the helicopter instructors however are ex-military and can show you some pretty cool stuff, I however didn't get one of them, I got an inbread, but he was ok and got the job done. I also think UND is a little policy happy, there are so many policies and procedures in place that it makes it almost impossible to make those little mistakes that you learn from, (I.E. launching into bad weather that you probably shouldn't have done, which is able to be handled by the instructor but you learned what you can and can not handle). I'm not trying to be too negitive here, there are some awsome classes with absolutly excellent teachers. The Avit 309 Flight Physiology class was one that I will forever be greatful I had taken. With 2 trips into a Hypobaric chamber to feel what it is like at 25,000ft without oxygen, to see how you react, and how your mind goes, 1 trip doing rapid decompressions just so you know what it would be like when that window blows out at 30,000ft and a couple of trips in a vertigon experiencing different illiusion and disorentations that could happen in flight. All of which is training that could not be replaced by anything else, and I would pay any sum of money for that training.

Specifically the Helicopter department... I feel is kind of a ripp off, money wise. 90% of the Helicopter students are ROTC, and because of that the University can really charge what they want since the students are not paying for it. Which leaves us non ROTC people paying the big bucks. $310/hr for H300 and $100/hr for instructor. I also felt the ROTC people get priority over us Civi's, they get the better instructors and stuff, which could be a coincidence, but that's how it feels.

To touch on the Aircraft... UND has some of the best aircraft I've ever flown. The maintaince, and up keep of every single piece of equipment is top notch. The Helicopters seem to be a little harder to schedule sometimes but usually not too big a problem, not enough I've ever had to get mad about. Everything is always clean and ready to go. You need oil, call them up on the radio and 2 minuets later they are there. Pulled out of the hanger, no prob, call em up the calvary will be there pulling 3 aircraft at once to get you out. With a fleet of, ~75 somthing regular warriors, ~20 Glass cockpit warriors, ~15 Arrows, ~10 Seminoles, ~3 Glass cockpit Seminoles, a Beech Baron that was just sold, ~20 Cirrius SR20's, 2 Decathalons, 2 Piper Cubs one on floats, a cessna 150, 2 Bell 206's one brand new, and 6 Schweizer H300's, I'm sure I missed something... I did that by memory, they have a very top notch line, and maintaince crew that I can't complain about.

Any other questions just ask. I have plenty more but I'm getting tired of typing right now, and I'm sure your sick of reading.

Kevin

Edited by AngelFire_91, 28 September 2007 - 21:02.

• Anonymous??? likes this

#37 bellpilot

bellpilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Company working for:Commercial charter/tours/school

Posted 26 December 2007 - 22:44

OIT news
Public Affairs Office § 3201 Campus Drive § Klamath Falls, OR 97601-8801
541.885.1160 § 541.851.5306 (fax)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Kristina Maupin, 541.885.1164, kristina.maupin@oit.edu
Dec. 21, 2007

AVIATION PARTNERSHIP FORMED

KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. – Oregon Institute of Technology has entered into a unique aviation partnership with Central Oregon Community College in Bend, Ore. COCC has blended their two-year aviation degree with fixed-wing (airplane) pilot training offered by Professional Air, and rotary-wing (helicopter) pilot training offered by Leading Edge Aviation, both located at the Bend Municipal Airport.

With the addition of OIT to this partnership, participating students have the option to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Operations Management from OIT in addition to an associate degree in Aviation Science from COCC. Students will be able to complete the associate degree, professional pilot licensure/certification and bachelor’s degree on the COCC campus in Bend and at the Bend Municipal Airport.

Students may choose from the following Federal Aviation Administration airplane or helicopter certificates:

· Private Pilot; Airplane single and multiengine land, airplane single sea, and/or rotorcraft-helicopter
· Commercial Pilot; Airplane single and multiengine land, airplane single sea, and/or rotorcraft-helicopter
· Instrument Rating; airplane and/or helicopter
· Certified Flight Instructor (CFI); airplane and/or helicopter
· Certified Flight Instrument Instructor (CFII); airplane and/or helicopter

Flight simulator training is conducted using “glass cockpit” technologies which offer easily readable graphical views of key flight indicators such as altitude display and mach speed. FAA approved flight simulators are also used in training.

Graduates of the Operations Management bachelor’s degree program are fully prepared for a career in aviation, including the airlines and helicopter operations in areas such as fire fighting and oil exploration.

Contact John O. Miller, aviation program director at COCC, for more information about the AAS/AS degree at COCC by telephone at 541-318-3736 or e-mail jomiller@cocc.edu. For more information about COCC, visit www.cocc.edu.

Contact Ralph Gibbs, assistant professor of management at OIT, or Charlie Jones, professor of management at OIT, for more information about the bachelor’s degree in Operations Management. Gibbs may be contacted by telephone at 541-725-5929 or via e-mail ralph.gibbs@oit.edu. Jones may be reached by telephone at 541-885-1377 or via e-mail at charlie.jones@oit.edu. For more information about OIT, visit www.oit.edu.

#38 67november

67november

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 00:47

WOW does this mean they will offer a 141 program and all others that allow student loan approval instead of something other than that?
spinning wings are better than fixed.

#39 bellpilot

bellpilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Company working for:Commercial charter/tours/school

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:17

It is a 141 program, VA and all other college grants and loans.

#40 copter doctor

copter doctor

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Company working for:Bell, UH-1Y, AH-1Z

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:31

FYI, Kansas State University has added a Helicopter program at their Salina Kansas Campus. It is 141 approved now and V.A. approval is pending. They have a new 300CBI and will train up to ATP rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200RPMN Mag BannerJerryTrimbleHillsboro2014_200VRFTRorum702HeliVRFT200GuidanceVRFTForum200UNDVRFTForum200MidwestHeliAcademy2016VOLO_VRFT200