FRASCA FT468MountainRidgeHeliVRFT468Helicopter Academy
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Accredited Universities that offer a Helo Program?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 HeliMott

HeliMott

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Company working for:HelicopterAcademy.com/BoatPix.com

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:06

All,

I am the Student Services Director for HelicopterAcademy.com. We have a program through UVSC and part of my job is to help students through UVSC and to be a lesion to UVSC. I am also a UVSC student in my Junior year. We have had a tremendous amount of success with UVSC. I have had a tremendous amount of success also if I wouldn’t have gone through UVS I would have never gotten a loan to become a pilot.

The benefits of UVSC is that students that have been given low offers or counter offers usually can get 100% approved through Sallie Mae in association with UVSC's program. The loan now becomes an "alternative loan". I have seen that many students that were declined or even required a co-signer were approved through the college route. The reason is because when you buy a car, they can repossess the car and recover some money, but an education cannot be repossessed. When you go through college it’s looked upon as a bigger commitment for your earning potential, than if you just got a career training loan. UVSC has limited the amount of money you can get per semester to $50,000. When you go to UVSC the online classes through the Global Aviation Degree Program qualify for in state resident class rates, and are funded through a different source than your Flight School loans. After filling out a FASFA, Utah Higher Education Association dulls out loans for your classes.

As pointed out earlier Utah Valley State College offers a few AS programs and two Bachelors programs, Aviation Pro. Pilot, and Aviation Admin. Later this year UVSC is going to become Utah Valley University and will be offering a Masters Program. UVSC is a regionally accredited program, and has a pretty good name in aviation.

Concerning Helicopter Specific classes, they do not offer any Helicopter specific classes and leave it up to your flight school to teach you the helicopter stuff. The information given is all fixed wing information, so it is up to you to discern the differences. I have spoken to them about adding Helicopter classes but they have said that there aren’t enough students to make such a class or course schedule. That is amazing to me because in my classes, when looking through the forums, there are always a significant amount of Helicopter pilots. It may also be noted that your quizzes and exams do include fixed wing questions like lazy 8's. You may be inclined to learn about fixed wing stuff or you can just breeze through it. The Classes quizzes and exams aren’t to hard, everything is open book. If you load your classes correctly you can do your flight classes while you obtain your licenses. For example if you’re a student pilot going for your private, you’d take Private Pilot Ground and Private pilot Ground. The PPL Ground course is lectures and quizzes that are test prep for your FAA written Exam. The FAA written exam is your PPL Ground final, so if you score a 90% on the FAA written, you'll score 90% on your final. The PPL flight class, you basically get your hours, take a small 50 question final and turn in your license and you’ll get 100%. If you already have your licenses you'll have to take a small 50 question test and turn in your license and you'll receive credit for the class
Student Services Director/Houston, TX Instructor
HelicopterAcademy.com

#42 bellpilot

bellpilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Company working for:Commercial charter/tours/school

Posted 28 December 2007 - 13:08

Leading Edge Aviation is an established full service aviation company. They are FAA 135,133,137,141 approved Helicopter Company. The school has (5) R22's (3) R44's two are instrument trainers and the other is an initial trainer for weight requirements. (1) Bell JetRanger BIII. They are an authorized Robinson sales and service and overhaul facility FAA approved 145. They include mountain flying into all ratings thru ATP. Flight providers for Central Oregon Community College, Oregon Institute of Technology and VA approved. DPE on staff.

Web: www.flybend.com
www.leadingedgeavn.com

Edited by bellpilot, 28 December 2007 - 17:46.

#43 Parker

Parker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 16:56

FYI, Kansas State University has added a Helicopter program at their Salina Kansas Campus. It is 141 approved now and V.A. approval is pending. They have a new 300CBI and will train up to ATP rating.

k

#44 sfdoc

sfdoc

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 22:08

Viper Killer,

The program at the University of North Dakota is available to you. While it's initial focus was on Military students, they now have a large private student base as well.

You will get the same curriculum that the Army students get, and the instructors are all high time guys, with excellent skills, and are a true pleasure to fly with.

Other have posted about UVSC, which my school offers as well, but it is not the same.

The Georgia program has a fairly good rep as well, and you can't beat the price, but I have no direct knowledge of their program.

The Embry Riddle program has a few bugs to work out still and is not in the same league as UND.

I would suggest that you get your pvt fixed wing rating at a local school while knocking out your General Ed requirements.

This will decrease some of your costs at UND, if you choose to go there.

If you are able to go to Heli Expo (www.rotor.com) this year in Houston Texas, check them out, they will have a booth down there.

Best of Luck

#45 rjl2001

rjl2001

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:aviation, motorcycles, kayak-fishing, guns
  • Company working for:None

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:31

Another school with AS degree plan for helicopter flying is Palm Beach Community College. They have a professional pilot technology program which allows you to choose from either Maintenance Management track, Operations track, or Professional Pilot track. The latter can be in either fixed wing or helicopter and includes the private through commercial ratings, while additionally offering CFI and CFII classes.

I drove down a couple days ago to check it out, but wasn't able to find anybody in that program. There are actually four helicopter flight schools in West Palm Beach that the college will let you choose from. Your options are West Palm Beach Helicopters, Helicopter Academy, Cloud 9 Helicopters, and Ocean Helicopters.

The PBCC has been doing the fixed wing course for a few years, but the helicopter option is pretty much brand new it looks like. For me one of the benefits looks to be the additional financing options available through the college. All of the financing goes through PBCC, and they have an account for you which they use to pay the flight school. They are all 141, and VA approved and any regular student loans/financing options will work for the flight training portions just as well as the college classes.

http://www.pbcc.edu/x3222.xml?id=31
Semper Rotatus!

#46 aquaman2000

aquaman2000

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 14:05

<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I am at Bridgewater State College in Massachusetts. They have a fixed wing program affiliated with Delta airlines. The main reason I decided to go to this school was because they said that they would let me train in helicopters after i got the fixed wing rating i wanted. I had my private fixed wing when i got to college and then got my instrument, next I started doing my commercial helicopter at Plymouth Airport. I am the first kid at my school to do helicopter training. We would like to get more students so we can start a program like delta has. The school is great and the tuition is cheap because its a state school, which is good when flying costs so much. The school has been very cooperative with me in setting up pretty much my own program and its been fun. let me know if you have any questions.</font>

how much is the tuition

#47 ssmech

ssmech

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 15:59

<font color='#000000'>I'm looking for some sort of 2 or 4 year university that has a Helo program. (Like Embry Riddle for choppers)  Suggestions? Experiences?
Thanks</font>

TwinAir Inc. in Van Nuys, California helo flight school

little tuition and 10% discount

#48 Kropte

Kropte

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Company working for:US Steel Minntac

Posted 01 December 2008 - 21:30

Hibbing Community College in Hibbing, MN (Northern Minnesota) Has a 2 year A.A.S Degree for Helicopter Pilot Training.
If you check their site you will see the different financing options and they will work with you to get you what you need for your flight time.

Info Here.

They are Affiliated with Northern Helicopters a part 141 School located at the local airport.

Visit Northern Helicopters.

Northern Helicopters has 2005 and newer R22's (5), a R44 a Bell 206 and one of the 22's is an instrument ship. Plus a Fly-It Sim.

Edited by Kropte, 20 February 2009 - 11:56.

#49 Vortex Man

Vortex Man

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 22:42

Hey Guys,

College of the Sequoias in central california has just started an AS degree program. working with Blue Sky Aviation. Financing has never been as easy as this and in addition you don't even have to get all the way though the AS degree, cause the first 25 hours of credit is all helo training and flight time. Next Classes Start June 8 and housing is provided for out of state individuals in addition to that all out of state training is done in Paso Robles CA, awesome training, very little weather, and the cost is is about 3-4 grand less just for the ground school. Contact they're recruiter at 888-685-7505. Good luck finding your school. Best choice I have ever made!
Josh

#50 gary t

gary t

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 21:51

There was a blurb the other day on HAI about Liberty University in Lynchburg,VA having
an aviation program for helicopter ratings.

#51 Tim Tillman

Tim Tillman

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Company working for:Liberty University

Posted 01 April 2009 - 13:04

There was a blurb the other day on HAI about Liberty University in Lynchburg,VA having
an aviation program for helicopter ratings.

We do have a program at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. We just had our first two students get their Private add-on on the 27th. We are training in the 300CBi and I really like this helicopter for training. 141 is just about done and will open up a few more options for funding. You can check the program out by contacting me or through the web at http://www.liberty.edu/academics/ then fallow the links to School of Aeronautics.
Tango
Never stop flying the aircraft

#52 Miles

Miles

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a helicopter pilot.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 17:24

Which school will give you a complete training loan (CFII)? It seems like they're only willing to loan a small portion. Are you normally taking the college courses and training at the same time? Does anybody find this to be too much work at once? Anybody doing the online courses instead?

What have your total costs been? Average loan rates? Amount of time allowed for deferment? Etc...

I'm considering moving from NJ to Houston, TX to work and save. I didn't know there were schools willing to loan you the full amount if you signed up for their 2-4 year courses. Has anybody followed through with the complete 4 year commitment? How was the experience? Any regrets?

Thanks,

Miles P. Stevens.

Edited by Miles, 01 September 2009 - 16:30.

#53 Miles

Miles

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a helicopter pilot.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 15:56

The University of North Dakota has an excellent all around aerospace program, and they offer optional helicopter training in place of fixed wing for all required course credits. It's not only for ROTC/military training. Website is http://flightops.aer...du/helicopters/.

http://www.studentse...ER/Default.aspx

That totals to about $145,000 for helicopter training. Does that include your college degree, as well? That seems insanely expensive, am I not understanding something?

#54 notahosebag

notahosebag

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:47

<font color='#000000'>I'm looking for some sort of 2 or 4 year university that has a Helo program. (Like Embry Riddle for choppers)  Suggestions? Experiences?
Thanks</font>

Yes, there are other 2 or 4 year programs similar to what Embry-Riddle had planned. If you are already in Arizona, you might be insterested in Yavapai College. It is in Prescott, Arizona. They are expecting a start date in January 2010 for such a program. It's a 5 semester, 21 month program. You'll be able to use VA benefits to cover the expenses, or, since it's at an accredited college, get federal financial aid (title IV funds) to help cover not only the tuition but the flight fees as well. Since it's hard to get private training loans, many people will be going to these colleges with approved helicopter flight programs so they can get the federal financial aid or the VA benefits.

#55 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 16:25

My thoughts after 20 years in this business is that the college programs get you financing to pay for the college and you are on your own for paying for the flight lessons which is what most people really want. The college programs can get you to CFII but can't get you a job particularly in a world that requires 1000 hours and some jobs at 300 hours. Seek a school that will train you to 300 hours and guarantee you a job. There is one out there.

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#56 Trans Lift

Trans Lift

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Flying, motorcycles, surfing, kitesurfing, snowboarding, bone carving
  • Company working for:major Powerline utility company

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:10

There is one out there, it will take your car, motorbike or anything that you have to trade in order to get money from you. Also ask your parents to remortgage the house or just give it to Boatpix outright. I hear they are even taking blood donations for flight time. Talk about sucking the life from you!!

#57 riddlechopperpilot

riddlechopperpilot

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 13:53

It looks like I may be attending ERAU Prescott in the fall. I'm hopeing to minor in Helicopter flight with the training done through Guidnce helicopters. I would be very interested if anyone has experience with this program?

Thanks

Will you be using GI Benefits?

If you are, you need to ask...very directly, what is going to happen after August 1, 2011. The bill has recently changed and it looks like ERAU may be affected.

#58 riddlechopperpilot

riddlechopperpilot

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 13:55

Yes, there are other 2 or 4 year programs similar to what Embry-Riddle had planned. If you are already in Arizona, you might be insterested in Yavapai College. It is in Prescott, Arizona. They are expecting a start date in January 2010 for such a program. It's a 5 semester, 21 month program. You'll be able to use VA benefits to cover the expenses, or, since it's at an accredited college, get federal financial aid (title IV funds) to help cover not only the tuition but the flight fees as well. Since it's hard to get private training loans, many people will be going to these colleges with approved helicopter flight programs so they can get the federal financial aid or the VA benefits.

It is a great program and offered through Guidance Helicopters. The program has been super successful.

#59 riddlechopperpilot

riddlechopperpilot

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 13:57

FYI, Kansas State University has added a Helicopter program at their Salina Kansas Campus. It is 141 approved now and V.A. approval is pending. They have a new 300CBI and will train up to ATP rating.

Serious, and ATP rating?

Who is the contracted flight training company? UHI?

#60 CaptainDune

CaptainDune

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Company working for:Big Ditch Tours

Posted 05 January 2011 - 13:01

Will you be using GI Benefits?

If you are, you need to ask...very directly, what is going to happen after August 1, 2011. The bill has recently changed and it looks like ERAU may be affected.

It doesn't just effect ERAU's veteren program. It honestly shuts the doors on any veterens considering attending ERAU at all, and especially those who are going to be looking into any type of flight training.

The new bill caps tuition and fees at $17,500 per YEAR for all non-public schools. This barely pays a semesters worth of classes at any ERAU let alone doesn't cover any flight expenses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

702HeliVRFT200VOLO_VRFT200Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200JerryTrimbleGuidanceVRFTForum200Hillsboro2014_200VRFTRorumAnthelion_VRFTForum200UNDVRFTForum200Precision_FTForum200