Difference between F28C and 280C?

What is the difference between the F28C and 280C...around the 1978 model years? Also is there a source for information on the Enstroms, an Enstrom club, information website? I have heard nothing but good things about the helicopters and am looking to purchase one in the 65 to 85 thousand dollar range. Thanks

Mechanically the F28 and the 280C are the same. The 280C was given a more streamlined nose and a different tail design to make it faster. The 280C cabin is a little less roomy than the F28 due to the narrower nose and the vertical fin positioning and size on the 280C can sometimes cause a very slight yawing in flight. It is my understanding that the 280F models were given the same tail design as the F28 to take care of this problem.

I owned a 280C model for three years and they are great helicopters; but they are very expensive to operate compared to other piston helicopters. Make sure before you buy one that you have an Enstrom service center or an A&P with Enstrom experience nearby. This will save you a lot of frustration (and money) down the road.

I would be very carefull buying an Enstrom in the price range you mentioned I sold mine six years ago in excellent condition with a low time engine and mid to high time gearboxes for $90,000. I'm sure an equivalent helicopter in todays market would bring $20,000 to $30,000 more.

If you have any more questions e-mail me and I will answer them the best I can.

Hi nj,

I operate a '75 28A in the UK which was around the same cost as you are contemplating. You wouldn't get a C for that money here. If you do spend that little money on one be prepared to spend quite a lot on renovation as  it is likely to be 'well used'. I spent about £20K on mine to make it right. It has been very reliable for three years and needed almost no out of sync maintenance. I take the position that with an aircraft of this age, if there is any doubt about a componant, change it. It is a pleasure to own and fly and I enjoy lavishing care and money on it. If you take that attitude you wont go wrong. Dont buy an old one to do it on the cheap. That doesnt work.