Can a person get a Class II medical...

I got a questions posed to me Friday evening, too late to call the FSDO or an AME, so I thought that I'd throw the question out to all here and see if anyone might have an answer. The person in question is wanting to take lessons and is missing the index and middle finger from his left hand. I know that there are numerous people with missing limbs flying, but what, if any, would the limitations be on the medical of someone missing these two fingers and would he be able to get a Class II and a commercial certificate?

Thanks...Doug

Yes he can, at the very most he may have to apply for a SODA. Its not going to be a problem. Lots of people fly and fly professionally with loss of limbs and fingers.

The only soda I know is a Diet Pepsi, I assume that it is some type of waiver or special dispensation to his medical. Please elaborate so that my poor feeble mind can partake of your vast knowledge.

Doug

Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA), I have one for my eyes. Since they changed some requirements for vision some years back, I don't need it anymore.

I got mine by just having my eye doctor filling out a form. Just for the asking. You friend will be able to get a medical.

Me and my feeble mind thank you all. I met with him this morning and it looks as though he shouldn't have any trouble as he as excellent grip and dexterity with the two remaining fingers and thumb. I've got him calling the AME tomorrow to get an appointment and find out what else he will need to start training.

Doug

• 4 months later...
Me and my feeble mind thank you all. I met with him this morning and it looks as though he shouldn't have any trouble as he as excellent grip and dexterity with the two remaining fingers and thumb. I've got him calling the AME tomorrow to get an appointment and find out what else he will need to start training.

Doug

How did this turn out? Will he be able to obtain a class II or even class I medical?