California Highway Patrol

Just wondering if there are any CHP pilots on this forum.

I'm interested in joining with the hopes of being part of the aviation unit eventually.  I'm scheduled to take the written test this month, with the phys. ability and psych. test next month.

How long does the interview process take?

What's the academy like?

Where do most "fresh out of Academy" officers go?

How long on the street before you got into the aviation unit?

What kind of flying do you do? Patrol/SAR/HEMS?

I'm a dual rated Comm./Inst. pilot with well over 300 PIC in helicopters, and about 100 PIC in airplanes.  Does anyone, or is it  possible to fly both in the same unit?

Thanks in advance for the responses,

Aaron

I am a flight officer for Fresno County Sheriff (In training anyway).  We have a CHP unit at Yosemite National Airport.  They are always short on pilots (not that unit specifically) Especially if you have turbine time.  The unit here has the A-Stars and the Cessna 206.  I was at Aircrew School last month, and they had guys in the air unit who had less than 3 years on, and they had no aviation experience.  When you come in as a trained, qualified pilot, you are a hot commodity! When you get to your oral interview, MAKE SURE you bring up your aviation experience.  You know,.....let them know your also interested in patrol, working for the CHP as an officer.....yada yada yada........also, check www.chp.net   its a forum specific to the CHP.......every once in a while youll have someone on the site spouting that you should join the CHP only to be a chippie.....bla bla bla....all else is seconary....yeah, what ever.  You a pilot, you want to fly.

You will have to do your year probation on the street thouh before you go off to any air unit though...most likely.

• 4 weeks later...
I believe there are only two agencies in the state that are POST certified to provide an Air Crew course.  They are the CHP and LAPD.  They offer the classes several times a year and it is a two or three day course.  It covers various topics related to law enforcement operations including search and rescue.  I am almost certain you must be a peace officer to attend the courses.  You can contact either agency for the next scheduled class.

Eagle 1 is right.  CA. POST Air Crew Course is put on by the CHP, and is held in different places.  Its held twice per year, and you can count on it being somewhere nice!  San Diego, San Francisco, etc.   You have to be a Law Enforcement Officer to attend.  There are only about 30 slots available per class.....so 60 per year.  I think LAPD teaches one also, but its restricted to LE only.  Dont know when they teach it.

POST Air Crew Course was held in San Diego a few weeks ago.  I think tey are talking about Sacramento or SF for the next one.  There is no flying involved....its all classroom course on safety, tactics, equipment, etc.  Its 3 days long.

The CHP ASU pretty much does it all.  Patrol, EMS, SAR.  and they are always mutual aiding other agencies.  They have forst rate equipment.  Their AS-350B3's are very nice.

• 2 years later...

Hey there,

Just interested in some info about being a CHP helo-pilot....I am in training right now at American Helicopters in Fresno. I wanted to know if it is really worth the $$$ and time to go all the way for CFII, and build 1,000, and if that will help me to be a "hot item" to the CHP.

I don't wan't to go further than I need if it really is not an advantage in the end...I appreciate your help with this, oh, and if you might send me an e-mail (I almost never check in here) at shortco10@hotmail.com Thanks again!