Silver State Helicopters In Butte,MT

Arrow,  read the past forums on ssh.do your RESEARCH first before deciding on a school and only pay by the hour.I have friends there right now and they wish they were some where else.Its' been eleven months since they started and they still do not have their private.

From the research I've done, apparently the ground school takes approx. 4 months or so (with no flight time in that time). Once your ground school is done, they start your flying.... but the problem I've been hearing is that the student to helicopter ratio is pretty bad. The only way I can conceive getting through the program in a reasonable amount of time is by making yourself available to fly at anytime of the day.

They say you can potentially go through the program in 12 months and work for them about 6 months before you have to start paying back your loan, but how many people finish in that 12 months?

Do what I'm going to do, and be available whenever you can.

Personally, I'm in no rush to get through the program as quick as possible. (I'm a HS Senior so it's still going to be quicker than college, + you can get degrees through UVSC I think it is?) I always realize what the worst is that could happen in any situation (for example a helicopter shortage), and I'm not suprised when it occurs. But it makes me happy when things go smoothly!  :D

Someone mentioned on these forums before that the Silver State program is not a get through it quick type of deal, but I guess it varies from each location.

Anywho, good luck w/ your decision,

- Robert

I know of several of my old instructors that went to ssh in Utah and taught students there and said that most of their students were working on their commercial ticket and had been there for two years. I received my CFI in a year and a half but I went really slow due to my learning curve. Two of the students I was at school with finished in less than six months and that included their CFII. You should check out the school I went to. It's Silverhawk Aviation Academy in Caldwell Idaho. The school has a former student from around the Bozeman Montana area who is now a CFII who may be able to give you some insight. Give the school a call and ask for Joel. You can also go to the school website at www.silverhawkaviation.net  Hope this helps ya out. If you have any questions just email me.

Steve ::rotorhead::

Arrow,

The Butte school went through 3 instructors while I was there.Two got fired for some reasons I'm not sure of and one left for a couple of reasons one being he wasn't pleased with how the program was set up .The enviroment was fine they just didn't have their sh#! together,they have made some changes but it's still taking the students forever to get anything acomplished.They are also flying r-44's thats great but when your done you still can't instruct in a 22 untill you get the required hours .Still not sure how they plan to cover this issue seeing that most schools require you to instruct in the 22 .When I left they had about 45 students and I beleive they have three birds now,so you do the math .So I hear they might be starting another class ?I wonder how few hours students will be flying then.Butte is a different little town, poor economy ,so it might be tough finding a decent job to get by on.But it is Montana ,and man do I miss montana.If you havn't committed to them yet, I would seriously be looking at some other schools.One that doesn't take a two years salary for some ,before you get your ppl and then has the right to boot you whenever they feel like it.