Learning to Fly Helicopters<the book>

Well first of all I want to say Hi since this is my first post. I have been browsing the forums for the last couple days and finally decided to sign up. I am 19 in college and interested in making a career out of helicopter piloting.

Anyway to my question. I was at books-a-million last night and found this book "Learning to Fly Helicopters" by R. Randall Padfield, what little I read, before my girl friend hurried me off, made it seem like a good start. The only thing is that it was written in 1990, I realize that the way helicopters are flown hasn't changed but the book also has info on flight school/flight testing and job information. So would this be a good start for me or does anyone know of a book thats a little more up to date?

Hey there

Welcome to the forum! I would recommend starting out with something a little more formal and up to date. The Rotorcraft Flying Handbook is an FAA publication that will give you a great base from which to build on. It keeps things pretty short and simple, which is great to any new pilot as it's easy to get overwhelmed at first.

I recommend that you buy your book at a pilot's store. There will be one (hopefully) at the nearest airfield/flight school to you. This way you can ask the staff questions and also see which books 'made it' to a pilots shop and not just the shelves of xyz bookstore. You can also buy any of these books online too, but I recommend speaking to somebody face to face. Oh last thing, make sure the store caters for helicopters too!!

I would recommend starting out with something a little more formal and up to date. The Rotorcraft Flying Handbook is an FAA publication that will give you a great base from which to build on.

I disagree with that.  The FAA pubs are dry and dull.

Learning to Fly Helicopters by Padfield and The Art and Science of Helicopters by Coyle are a better read and usually available at a Borders, Barnes & Noble or other bigger book store. They dive into the more technical aspectsd of flying and can get difficult in some places. But overall, very inforrmative reading.

Jeppesen has the helicopter training manual which is a pretty easy read too.   It's pricey though, so I'd suggest the above reading if your just exploring though.

I agree with Unit74. If your looking into this as a possibility you should definately read something more enjoyable than the FAA boredom books.

I have read "learning to fly helicopters" it is very well written, full of useful information, and actually fun to read.

This book was written to entertain you, the other books are written for you to study from. Which would you prefer.

Another good one is Pricipals of Helicopter Flight. I've only seen it here, north of the border, but if you can find it, definitly a good one to have.

I can never pronouce that authors name....

Waggenhof or something like that......?  It's the book with the red and white 412 (if I remember correctly) over the ocean on the cover.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't recommend 'Principals of Helicopter Flight' as a beginner book. Great book but it is a WAY TOO advanced book to start with. I have read many different books in print and pdf form. The two best & my personal favorite are: Jeppesen 'Helicopter Pilot Manual' & Coyle's 'Cyclic & Collective'. I found myself reading both of those book at the same time.

Both of those book in my opinion are a must! Though you could get through you PPL & CPL with only the Jeppesen book.