Has anybody in here trained at Avia

Guest rookie101

Guest rookie101

Hello again,

I was wondering if anyone in here had heard of the flight school Avia, there based in the Corvallis airport right next to the helo company HTS. I'm asking because the school is the closest to me, but i don't know if there any good, seeing how there a pretty small school. Thanks to all who post, for this question and the last one.

Hey rookie101

Go along and talk to them ,talk to people at the airport, ask to talk to other people training.

Just because they are small does not mean no good.

I learnt with a school with one person and 2 helios allways got the same instructor so no conflicting advice and he allways knew where I was at.

BUT boy was he there to help me learn, and stay with his firm,  When I want to hire there is the feeling on both sides of trust (I Hope)

Never trained there, but have seen the school. The owner Ron is a great guy, one of the few pilots that I have met 'in the training scene' that actually flies commercially also. Had I known about avia before starting somewhere else I may well have gone there instead. Yes, they are a small school but from what I gathered from being there it is well run. Definately recommend going down there for a demo flight and a look around the place.

Pilot freind

I have trained there, R22 up to comm rating, working on my inst.  I have not trained with the new heli chief pilot as of yet.  They have first class maint.  I have 30 years on my A&P, mostly with heli's including deep dynamic overhaul.

They are also honest with the finances, but are not cheap.  It is the perfect airport to train from. When I did my confined and mtn work for the commercial they had the best LZ's to work your way up too.  I have been told what some of the other schools offer on that one and they don't compare.  

The last cheif pilot (not current one) and I did not get along I will say, but after he asked me to go into his secret nerve breaker confined spot on the comm stage ck we got along better.  I have seen few students get great entry level jobs with HTI.

The owner is a well respected check pilot who is fair and knows his stuff.  If you have a good touch, work under authority well and are a positive person you will do fine.  Don't try to prove anything, if your'e good the word will get around through the contacts at the school.  It's fun to hover around the S61's and 64's.  

Hope you find the right place.

Kind regards mrose

Guest rookie101

Hello to those wiser than me ::bowdown:: ,

Thanks to all who post, very helpful. This is in regards to mrose's post. I was wondering who the FI guy was that you didn't happen to get along with. I'm wondering because I don't want to get stuck withs some ###hole FI. The guy I meet with when I took my demo flight was Scott and he seemed like a pretty nice guy. I've been in contact with him for quite somtime asking him questions, so many questions that I'm pretty sure I've already sent him about 8 e-mails with at least three or more question in each one. I must also say that it is pretty sweet at least near one of those S-64's. The day I took my demo, HTS had brought out one of their 64's for shipment to Australia and my God, I didn't think a helicopter that big exsited or could even get off the freakin' ground, much less lift 8 or 9 tons (I think it's about that much). I was proven wrong a couple weeks later when another 64 flew over my school during football practice.