Army aviation units in the New York area

AndrewT

I've been going out of my mind trying to find any Army air stations in the new york/tri state area (the closer to the city, the better). SO does anyone know of any that serve in a reserve or guard function, or at least a website or something that I can visit to find out?

The only one in New York that I know of is Wheeler-Sack Army Airfield; on or near Fort Drum.

Also, there is a complete listing of all Army bases worldwide at  www.globemaster.de/index.html

Hope this helps.

:unclesam:

Probabaly not helpful to you at all, but I flew through Albany International a few times recently and it looks like they've got an Air National Guard unit there... (The Blackhawks all lined up gave it away a bit.. :P)

Information from this page seems to indicate that it's the 3rd Battalion, 142nd Aviation Regiment of the New York Army National Guard?

Anyway, like I said, probably not at all what you're looking for, but maybe it's a help, lol.

Yeah, all these units are so far away! I just heard back from a Reserve recruiter whom I met at my ROTC building and he might have some leads.

Ft. Drum is 30 min from Canada and Albany is about a 3-4 hour drive from me. There is another guard unit in Rhode Island, but they are also about a 3 hour drive.

Andrew,

Be careful of those NYC area recruiters - they are worse than average, especially once they find out you want to go WOFT - I basically did all the work myself when I tried going through them. :(  Below are some links  to help you, but I think you only have 2 real options as far as location: Ronkonkoma,NY and West Trenton,NJ.

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/nyarng.htm  -  NYNG, AVN is in Ronkonkoma (Islip area?) maybe the same one gkp200 referred to.

http://www.state.nj.us/military/army/state.html#middle - NJNG, AVN unit is is West Trenton.

I served there in 2004, great bunch of people, but NJNG is(was) in limbo with transitioning from old OH-58's to ????, they didn't know. I waited almost an entire year for a selection board that never happened, so make sure you get all the details and the date of the next DEFINITE board with your name on the selection list before you enlist with either state.

Good luck!

PS: I'm in SoCal now, spent a year with an RA recruiter in NYC and got nowhere and another year in NJNG with the same result. I'm now working on getting into the USCG flight program. Lucky for me I have a very successful fiance!   ::dancing1finger::

There is a unit at Islip airport on Long Island.  2nd battalion/142nd Aviation.  I served there for several years.  Great group of pilots.  Good Luck.

Gary

Yeah, I got in contact with them today.

Things are alittle differnet for me since I'm in ROTC, so I'd be looking to do SMP.

-EDIT-

Scotty-O, are you getting your packet ready? I think there is a selection board for OCS coming up in spring or something like that. Also, don't forget to get in touch with me when you are back in NY