Flight Log Book

TaIk2Kevin

I plan to go and take my first Helicopter Lesson Next Week, and I was wondering what logbook I should have? I have a small helicopter one thats like 7X3.

The question is... Since I will be carrying this around for a while is there a profeesional one or a bigger one i should get? or is the small one good?

I plan to go and take my first Helicopter Lesson Next Week, and I was wondering what logbook I should have? I have a small helicopter one thats like 7X3.

The question is... Since I will be carrying this around for a while is there a profeesional one or a bigger one i should get? or is the small one good?

Fill that one up. In the meantime you can look at others. If you are planning a career you are going to fill several before you stop logging your time.

I started with a standard ASA logbook in 1993 when I started flying (soon followed by a lonnnng time befoer getting any ratings), but at the beginning of last year I split that into two logbooks - one for helicopters and one for fixed wing. It's a lot easier to track stuff that way - but of course if you don't intend to fly airplanes then you'll probably nly need one book :) . I don't think it matters whether it's a big one or a small one - when you lose it or get it stolen or it burns up in a fire, you'll be in a similar world of hurt.

In my helo logbook, I have special columns for the Robinson helicopters - R22 and R44. Per the Special FAR 73, and also per some of the insurance companies (e.g. Pathfinder), they have special requirements for various things and I wanted an easy way to track my hours in each type. I also have a column for turbine time, although as a renting pilot I will probably never have enough to make much difference :blink: .

What I did for the Robinson and turbine time is "re-assign" some of the provided columns to my own uses. It will take a while to understand what columns you need for ratings, but study the FARs closely and you should get an idea of what you need. Examples: Solo, PIC, night solo, cross-country PIC, etc. Variations of those and probably other types of flight time will be required for the various ratings, and my approach is to make it as easy as I can make it to track those sorts of logged time.

Hopefully this is of some use to you.

cheers,

Dave Blevins

Kevin,

Just get the smaller one for NOW, and then get another one as you fill them up....just like the other guys have recommended! Also, if you want, I have a MS Excel Log book for the computer(Mac or PC). I downloaded this a couple of weeks ago. Let me know if you want it. You can PM me on this site, and I'll send it to your personal email.

Cheers-

Rob

:D

Thanks for all the replys

Question answered.

-Kevin

I recommend getting an actual student log book. Those books will have all of the required spots already in there for the endorsements you will need, such as soloing, crosscountries, flying to another airport, ect...

I always had my students get the burgundy ASA log book. That one had large boxes that you could fit a 2-3 line description of the flight. It'll fit you back pocket which is nice too. Those skinny Jeppesen books hardly have enough room to sign your name.

Now I use the big Jeppesen book because of all the different columns. I just changed all the airplane columns to different helicopter make/models.

Be careful pre-fab endorsements in the back of the book. A lot of them reference airplane reg's. Research the reference before signing it.

These days I use an electronic logbook, Palmlog, on my Palm. All I've logged for years is what I need to prove currency, and I quit logging everything long ago. I lost my first logbook during a military change of station, and I have a few logbooks up on a shelf somewhere, but logging time has lost its charm, and I pretty much quit after my ATP. Not much left to prove any more, other than night currency.

Don't spend any more than you have to on aviation stuff for now. You may quit, and even if you don't, there is no reason at all to get expensive stuff just for flying when standard stuff will work. Get a basic student logbook, so it's easy to show all your endorsements, and take your time and see what is going to work best for you.