• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 cadetpilot

cadetpilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 23:49

Learning to fly can be one of life's most rewarding adventures. The freedom of moving in three dimensions is not only fun but can lead to interesting career and travel opportunities. To take advantage of aviation's rewards, you must make sure you get the good, solid information and aviation training that you'll need to be a safe, confident pilot in the air.

#202 everdayimhovering

everdayimhovering

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 16:15

Interested in doing some flight training in NYC/NJ area. Found a school in Linden, NJ called Core Helicopters. Any information would be beneficial. 

Thanks

#203 kjackson81

kjackson81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:52

I absolutely loved my time with FlyHAA (http://www.flyhaa.co...copter/courses/). I was able to learn from some great trainers that made things easy to understand. I would recommend them to anyone. 

#204 RotorHead56

RotorHead56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 19:11

Hey so I'm going to be headed back to southern California after I get out of the military. I am looking for a good flight school that accepts the GI bill and won't screw me over. It's been pretty discouraging seeing how a lot of these schools have been completely scammin people. Does anyone have any good experiences with any flight school or the VA involved flight schools? 

#205 Cod

Cod

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 13:02

Rotor head, my recommendation is:

Step 1.  Do your research.  I spent 6 years doing mine while preparing to leave the military.

Step 2.  Build a short list of 2-3 schools and visit all of them. 

Step 3.  Select your school, then move to where your school is.

In this way, you have better options than moving to some random area, and then casting about for whatever school happens to be in your neighborhood.  An aviation career requires mobility, especially in the early days of your career.  I'm not saying this is definitely your situation, but if you can only live in a certain location in the United States, it may be tough to find work and this might not be the best career move for you?

All that said, I earned all my helicopter ratings through the post-911 GI Bill and Central Oregon Community College.  (The flight partner is Leading Edge Aviation, Bend, Oregon.)  COCC is a squared-away program and is run squeaky-clean, as proven by what I have seen first-hand, as well as passing VA audits with flying colors.  Best of luck to you in the future!

#206 vic82

vic82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 14:41

Has anyone done any training with Helicopter Academy https://www.helicopteracademy.com/ They are offering me 100 hrs in the R-22 for $30,000. I have over 1000 hors and  Commercial with instruments from the military.

#207 Pohi

Pohi

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:30

Has anyone done any training with Helicopter Academy https://www.helicopteracademy.com/ They are offering me 100 hrs in the R-22 for $30,000. I have over 1000 hors and  Commercial with instruments from the military.

Do a quick search of these forums. You should find all sorts of different opinions about them and their programs.

#208 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:19

Wow, things are that bad for 1000hr pilots!?

You probably never thought that anything you flew in the military was as difficult or complex to fly as the mighty R-22 Mariner, so as to require 100hrs of "training",...not to mention the extreme skills needed to fly photo missions!

Just remember, if you're holding a camera in your hands it not loggable as flight time. :(
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#209 RagMan

RagMan

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 14:10

You would be better off going to a flight school and paying for quality time in a helicopter. Is your 1,000 hours Total Time, or Pilot in Command time?

If you haven't gone through and figured out / calculated your Pilot in Command time as per Federal Aviation Regulations from your time in the military, that would be a good place to start. If you wish to use your military time and convert it to civilian time, you will have to abide by the FAA standards of logging Pilot in Command time, as the military logs it very differently. 

Otherwise, this may be a good place to start.

http://www.justhelic...28/Default.aspx

#210 vic82

vic82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 14:47

I have just over 1000 PIC hours and over 1300 total time, all turbine. I'm between this and Bristow for CFI, and looking for a way to build my 2000 hrs.

You would be better off going to a flight school and paying for quality time in a helicopter. Is your 1,000 hours Total Time, or Pilot in Command time?

If you haven't gone through and figured out / calculated your Pilot in Command time as per Federal Aviation Regulations from your time in the military, that would be a good place to start. If you wish to use your military time and convert it to civilian time, you will have to abide by the FAA standards of logging Pilot in Command time, as the military logs it very differently. 

Otherwise, this may be a good place to start.

http://www.justhelic...28/Default.aspx

#211 bruchpilot02

bruchpilot02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:I'm a 23 yaer old guy from Europ working as aflight instructor in the US. I'm happy to share my experience whith anybody who has the same dream of becomeing a helicopter pilot. Feel free to contact me with questions about flight training or the inital job as a flight instructor (bruchpilot02@gmail.com). I'm still kinda new but I'm happy to share what I know, also especially about coming to the US as a non US citizen.

Cheers

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:29

Aloha, I did most of my training in Hawaii with Mauna Loa Helicopters and can really recomend this school!
Stuff and instructors were very helpfull and skilled, I had for sure a great time there. For me as a non US citizen the F1 visa opend a many doors for me and also helped me to land my first job, didn't take long until I got picked up at a school as CFI.
I'm happy to share more of my experince there if somebody is interessted.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200702HeliVRFT200VOLO_VRFT200JerryTrimbleMidwestHeliAcademy2016Precision_FTForum200GuidanceVRFTForum200RPMN Mag BannerHillsboro2014_200VRFTRorumUNDVRFTForum200