• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#41 caross

caross

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 16:19

Just posted, what I hope to be, a good and complete review of Hillsboro Aviation. Thanks for pointing the review section out in a "sticky"... would have missed it.

Just a reminder for registered forum members: please post your helicopter flight school reviews at the reviews page: http://www.verticalr...licopterreviews

Your forum username and password work for the login at the review page. Try to include the dates you attended and what ratings you obtained.

Thanks!

-Rey

#42 lastmanjackson

lastmanjackson

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:09

THE ONLY SCHOOL that I could find that met my criteria was a school that would guarantee me a job. I only found one with the balls to put it in writing. I was looking for a school that also operates helicopters on contracts such that I kew they would be there to offer me a job once my money ran out. www.HelicopterAcademy.com is the only school that guarantees a job. They have 13 helicopters, are an RHC Service Center with three full time mechanics and one instructor for each helicopter. New York, Maryland, North Carolina, Florida, Houston, Chicago, Cleveland, Long Beach and Portland are places they can teach you. I went through the program several years ago and found impeccable maintenance, sensible management and just like it says on the website that once you hit 300 hours of time built with HelicopterAcademy they will give you a job and they had me pretrained for the position. I made it to 1,000 hours within 365 days of arriving and had a blast doing it. There is also a program if you transer from another school with a private license. Check it out! Best School BAR NONE to train you to a guaranteed position and they train you with dignity in a one on one environment like you are part of the team. It worked well for me and all the students before and after that I came in contact with.

Forgive me for asking, but with the username boatpix this post may be looked at as self promotion. Were you a genuine student at Helicopter Academy?

If so I would like to ask you more questions on this training facility.if possible.

I'm from the UK and looking at training in the US for cost reasons, but the number of schools is mind boggling.

Thanks

#43 bulgy_06

bulgy_06

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 22:28

Has anyone had any experience with Advanced Helicopter Concepts, they are located in Frederick, MD? They seem like a good group but I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

#44 Chaz

Chaz

CFI Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Flying, riding motorcycles
  • Company working for:--- lost and worried almost pilot 42.2 tt

Posted 01 August 2008 - 21:49

Well ,
I had my first flight at nobel Avaition today. Nik Scott was my cfi for the flight. Had a really great time he was very professional and helpfull. Even though my kids were keeping the owner and others very busy. lol .... Everyone at the fbo were great people... Cant wait to go full time first of next month.

Professor Focke and his technicians standing below grew ever smaller as I continued to rise straight up, 50 metres, 75 metres, 100 metres. Then I gently began to throttle back and the speed of ascent dwindled till I was hovering motionless in midair. This was intoxicating! I thought of the lark, so light and small of wing, hovering over the summer fields. Now man had wrested from him his lovely secret.

Hanna Reitsch, German test pilot describing the first helicopter flight

#45 Call me the JetRanger

Call me the JetRanger

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 23:59

I got my private rotorcraft earlier this summer and currently am working on my commercial at a flight school called Fairfield Airventures, Fairfield County Ohio. Its about a 20 minute flight or hour drive from Columbus OH.

They operate Schweizer Cbi's in great condition, one is already configured to be an ifr trainer and the other is being upgraded to an ifr trainer. Scweizer's in my limited experience are the most forgiving and capable helicopters ive flown yet (I fly 520D's and 206 II's) and still dont think ive ever flow a helicopter thats quite as fun to fly around in.

The airport that the flight school operates at is almost completely dedicated to their flight programs, both rotor instruction and fixed wing instruction (however the rotor operation is the true heart of the operation.) Its called fairfield county airport (LHQ)

There are three full time flight instructors who operate for fairfield airventures, all of whom ive gotten to know very well. The head instructor who was my CFI, runs both the flight program and the airport, so its possible to fly whenever you want and wherever you want. This flight certified 10 of the 15 columbus police helicopter pilots.

All three CFI's are extremely talented pilots whos main concern is to teach new helicopter pilots to fly safe and to stay out of trouble, they let you learn through your own mistakes, but never allow you to get so far into trouble that you endanger yourself.

Im 17 and i decided, due to my summer time constraints to get my private in a little over a month and was flying for about 4 hours a day plus ground school, and there wasnt one time that one of the three instructors wasnt willing to go up and fly with me.

Although i have no basis to compare, i cant imagine that there are many flight schools who provide the same kind of service and knowledge as these guys did. I highly recommend this program to anyone living in pen, mich, ohio or any state within a reasonable distance.

http://www.fairfieldair.com/

#46 mdv22tech

mdv22tech

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 13:46

Hello all,

I am looking at going to "American Helicopters" at Manassas Airport, VA. Has anyone on here gone there or looked into it. Can't find much with the search function. I would love a good review, good or bad, of the school, aircraft, maint, and staff.

Thanks,

Rob

#47 Justin DBC

Justin DBC

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Hiking, Weight Lifting, Marksmanship, Martial Arts, Music
  • Company working for:CA Army National Guard

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:27

I started my PPL at Los Angeles Helicopters in Long Beach, CA in August. I needed a part 141 school due to the fact that I'm trying to go through CFII and I'm using the GI bill and, after a bunch of research, it seemed like the best school around for the price.

When I walked in, everybody seemed friendly, explained the process to me, and even put up with my interogative questioning. Since I've signed up, I haven't looked back. There are a couple of schools around here that are a bit cheaper, but none of them offer an environment like you get at LBC. At first it was a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure I have a bit of an advantage dealing with congested airspace than someone training in the country.

The instructors have been great. They assigned me to a CFI they thought I would get along with (we both did the same job in the Army) and it's been working out great. All of the CFIs I've flown with have been extremely knowlegeable, patient, and are able to effectively teach the information in a way that's easy to grasp and absorb.

I just reached 21 hours today after my first solo. They have allowed me to progress at my own pace and didn't waste time beating details into my head that had already stuck. I do have a bit of experience on the maintnance side of the house, and the fact that they don't try to repeat a bunch of stuff I already know which is very cost effective. I realize that not everyone is in this situation, but the other students there are moving along quite quickly as well. I should probably also state that, while they keep you moving along, at no time have I felt rushed or like I wasn't comfortable with what I was doing. As I said, all these guys are very patient and are VERY good instructors.

This is probably a bit long winded and rambling.... The dangers of writing a school review at 0130. If anyone has any questions about this school, feel free to email me. I also looked into a lot of the other non-141 schools in the area so I have a bunch of info on them as well. Hope this helped someone out!

J-
"Furthermore, you should never hover just above the ground - too much gust from the engine."

#48 heliswan

heliswan

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:flying dirtbikes snowboarding fishin
  • Company working for:Ramp Systems inc.

Posted 25 September 2008 - 23:40

Still no word on if bristow in florida is any good i see. I keep hearin the scoolin is great but the place is packed with foreiners(not that this is bad) just getting flight time seames hard. I viseited the place in june and was turned off by how meny studednts where floting around. They definitly need to build a better bigger facility. Id still go there if i could figure out 9 months of funding my life and training everyone i met was supper nice. but a lot of students in a small place.

#49 usairwayspimp

usairwayspimp

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Company working for:us airways (piedmont)

Posted 09 October 2008 - 23:08

hey everyone i am new to the this forum but it seems like it has alot of information but i was wondering if anyone had information on palm beach helicopters or ocean helicopters in palm beach fl. i am currently living in gville working for us airways so i know i will have a job if i head to south florida. any news would be appreciated

thanks

sean

#50 RagMan

RagMan

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:17

Does anyone have any information about Precision Aviation located in Newberg, Oregon? BTW my name is Marcus. I'm a H-60 Blackhawk crew chief out of Ft. Campbell, KY. I've been looking into this civilian flight school for when I get out of the military in early 2010. I've spoken with the flight instructors over email a couple times, and they seem like really nice, very professional people and pilots. A company I use to work for back in 03', P.J Helicopters, out of Red Bluff, CA, gave me some insight about Precision Aviation in Oregon, and highly recommended them for learning to fly helicopters (Precision has trained a few of the pilots currently working at P.J's.) I just wanted to know if anyone has been through that area, and spoken to any of the employees, or know anyone that has worked or graduated from their flying course. Any information about them is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Marcus

#51 Trojan22

Trojan22

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:59

Hi,

I am from the philippines planning to go to Fort lauderdale FL for R44 transition can you reccomend a school for my training, I have checked the list and they are so many to choose from, hope you could help me on this....

dex

#52 Bootcamp

Bootcamp

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Company working for:Bootcamp Helicopters, LLC

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:01

Stay away from Helicopters of America.

Robert "Bootcamp" Schapiro, BS, ATP, CFII, AGI, IGI, NR-P
Helicopter, AMEL, ASEL, ASES, Glider, S-70 Type Rating
Gold Seal CFI, Master CFI
RMSchapiro@bootcamphelicopters.com
http://www.bootcamphelicopters.com
(301) 717-5455 Mobile

#53 Trojan22

Trojan22

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 18:12

thanks for the PM and info.

Edited by Trojan22, 10 November 2008 - 18:13.

#54 airBeater

airBeater

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 13:59

Sean,
You have a third choice left out. I did my training at Helicopter Academy which is also in the Palm Beach area, LNA, and HWO. My instructor was good. He has a 100% sign-off rate and 2400+ hours total. The price was better than the others you mention and housing was included. Plus, they have the time-building option that the others don't...

Good luck...

hey everyone i am new to the this forum but it seems like it has alot of information but i was wondering if anyone had information on palm beach helicopters or ocean helicopters in palm beach fl. i am currently living in gville working for us airways so i know i will have a job if i head to south florida. any news would be appreciated

thanks

sean

#55 GoinAround

GoinAround

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 15:43

I am a student at Northeast Helicopters in Ellington, CT. I recently finished my private pilot rating with the school and plan to continue with them. I have researched many schools and have found them to very reputable and reliable.

Check them out at

http://www.northeasthelicopters.com

#56 rhooks81

rhooks81

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 19:01

I'm looking for schools in the MD/NoVA area and think I have settled on either Advanced Helicopter Concepts in Frederick, MD or the Helicopter Academy in Annapolis, MD. Anyone have experience with either of these schools or want to recommend another school in the area? I'd love to have any insight you can offer!

#57 Bootcamp

Bootcamp

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Company working for:Bootcamp Helicopters, LLC

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:28

I'm looking for schools in the MD/NoVA area and think I have settled on either Advanced Helicopter Concepts in Frederick, MD or the Helicopter Academy in Annapolis, MD. Anyone have experience with either of these schools or want to recommend another school in the area? I'd love to have any insight you can offer!

I have trained with both. They are both good, reputable schools.

At Advanced Helicopter, most of my old instructors have moved on, but if Ryan Dale is still around, I can attest to his knowledge and experience. (Look at the cover of the Helicopter Oral Exam Guide...he wrote it.) One of the things I liked about Advanced Helicopter is that on several occasions, they let me rent the helicopter to fly out of state (Atlantic City, New Hampshire, and southern VA).

At Helicopter Academy, my instructor has moved on but I still keep in touch with the owner. Helicopter Academy seems to be one of the only schools that will guarantee you a job once you get your 300 hours with them. They also give you a lot of commercial experience and cross-country time that you wouldn't otherwise get as a student.

If you don't mind the journey down to southern VA, I recommend Hampton Roads Helicopters. They have a very experienced staff and a small school so booking time is pretty easy. One of the owners is an examiner so it makes transitioning from "training" mode to "exam" much more relaxing.

Robert "Bootcamp" Schapiro, BS, ATP, CFII, AGI, IGI, NR-P
Helicopter, AMEL, ASEL, ASES, Glider, S-70 Type Rating
Gold Seal CFI, Master CFI
RMSchapiro@bootcamphelicopters.com
http://www.bootcamphelicopters.com
(301) 717-5455 Mobile

#58 Rick20

Rick20

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Company working for:Northeast Helicopters

Posted 15 December 2008 - 20:47

I am a student at Northeast Helicopters in Ellington, CT. I recently finished my private pilot rating with the school and plan to continue with them. I have researched many schools and have found them to very reputable and reliable.

Check them out at

http://www.northeasthelicopters.com

I'm also attending NEH. I also cannot say enough about the instructors. I had my 1st solo Nov 2nd, which only happened when I was ready, and recently did my 1 hr solo and my Class D airspace solo. All the instructors have made me feel right at home. I should be able to get my instrument rating before my loan is up, and hope to get the rest of the money I need as soon as possible so I can finish my training. NEH will not gaurente any one a job, as they want to make sure that you have the ability and the right atitude, which makes me feel comfortable that they didn't just hire on my instructor just because he met the minimums, but because he is a good pilot.

#59 Vassago

Vassago

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 14:17

Hello all,

I am looking at going to "American Helicopters" at Manassas Airport, VA. Has anyone on here gone there or looked into it. Can't find much with the search function. I would love a good review, good or bad, of the school, aircraft, maint, and staff.

Thanks,

Rob

I'm attending American Helicopters in VA now
Overall I'm happy with the CFI's I've worked with, and their aircraft
They are very safety conscious, and work very well with my schedule as I have a heavy load on my daytime job. I usually scheduled my classes during the week at night, and weekends with no complaints from instructors and no problem scheduling them. I do have to schedule a month in advance as my instructor is the senior, so he's pretty busy.
They teach auto's right from the very start so you get familiar with them, and more importantly comfortable with them.
They teach you to deal with the ADIZ (critical in DC land), and how to deal with Dulles Class B airspace hanging over you.

I'm currently awaiting good weather for my first solo :)
  • Wolf Trap likes this

#60 H/V

H/V

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Flying Helicopters, Airplanes & Sailplanes! Riding recumbent bicycles & tricycles. Adventures. Learning & Living! Most of all, sharing my passion for flight and the world around us; the reason for my aspiration to become a helicopter tour pilot.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 16:01

Ace Pilot Training is one of the best Helicopter Schools I have found. That being said with having 15 years experience in the Aviation Industry. The reason for the high regards is because of their great equipment (Shiny Young 300CBi's), great location (an hour west of New York City and the Jersey Shore, located in the beautiful Lehigh Valley...minutes from ski resorts), and a great staff who really care about the student's progress. The thoughtful-minded staff guided me through my Helicopter Add-On in less than a month!

They have had a lot of foreign students because of their lucrative M1 Visa Program, with by far some of the most competitive rates in the industry. Nothing like being able to ski the slopes, walk the streets of NYC or hit the beach after a hard day of flight training!

If you're looking for the best school with some of the best rates in the best location to get experience, go to Ace Pilot.

Their Website is: acepilot.com

To inquire about their Professional Pilot and M1 Foreign Pilot Programs, email James at:
acepilotschool at gmail dot com (<--they don't like spam, plug in "@" and "." )
"What you want to do, and what you can do, is limited only by what you can dream."

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3)

Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200Precision_FTForum200JerryTrimbleUNDVRFTForum200RPMN Mag BannerGuidanceVRFTForum200702HeliVRFT200MidwestHeliAcademy2016VOLO_VRFT200Hillsboro2014_200VRFTRorum