employment and DUI ?

john123456

Cheers John,

Not only can your employer deny you employment, but you now have to put it on

your medical application.

If it's you first and only major traffic violation, you can probably talk your way out

of any type of employment or FAA problem.

If you've got a string of speeding tickets or other "moving violations" then you've got

major problems - both with an employer and the FAA.

Warning: do NOT omit it on your medical application. If you do, when they find out,

you can be charged with "falsification of Federal documents" which carries jail time if

convicted.

I'd just go ahead and admit it. It's gonna bite you sometime - might as well get it over with.

Hope this helps.

Gentle winds,

Russ

Think of it from the employer's side of things. Some pilot walks in to your office looking for work. You find out either from them, or another means, that he/she has a DUI. What is your first thought?

If it were me behind the desk:

- this person can't drive their own car with any basic responability.

- this person is a risk taker, not only with his/her life but those around them.

- this person is willing to break the law if it suits them.

Don't take it personally, I'm a huge hardass when it comes to drinking and driving. Got a buddy stuck in a wheel chair for life because of it. As Russ says, if it's a first offence you might be ok. None of us are total angels and no one knows this more than another pilot. It all depends on the person's tolerance for such things. Mine is obviously very low, others could probably care less.

Also might depend on your age. An 18 year old might get away with it... chalk it up to the inexperience of youth. A 35 year old getting busted for DUI is a total friggin moron.

Best thing to do is approach a few operators and see what they say. Be honest, and they will be to.

Good luck, and don't go DUI again John. ;)

Well let me guess, party time during Christmas. well you are not the first one not the last one to do something that stupid. This is going to cost you, as it been stated you have report it on your next flight physical. The good part is that its not going to doom you unles there is a pattern. Its going to follow you for some time. You should have called a cab to take you home. Or stayed at a hotel were you were. I bet right now the cost of a cab or hotel would have been a lot less than the fine, the increase insurance you are going to pay for the next 10 years or so, and the problems that you are going to have finding employment as a pilot. You will find employment, its just going to take a few more hoops.

Actually, in a strange but good twist... I was involved to some extent in a case where a friend, who is a pilot, got a DUI, his only one. When he went to get hired he outlined the fact that he got a DUI. The employer was so impressed and moved by my friend's honesty and contrite attitude over his own behaviour that he was hired on the spot. The employer has a special higher level of trust and there is a greater mutual respect between the two of them due mostly to my friend's honest admission. Not saying that that will happen much, but it is nice to know people are out there that will help, if you admit to screwing up. Something to consider... ;) Always tell the truth, but don't let it happen again.

Plus, if you get an opportunity, go to your local high schools and relate your story, and how it has the potential to change/ruin your life. Prevent someone else from doing the same, and you could gain great credibility in the eyes of an employeer.

Not to judge, but we should all have zero tolerance for this, in this day and age. Everyone knows better, except of course, when we're under the influence...

...and then it's someone elses fault for not stopping us.

If by "last December" you mean last month? Id say your goig to need to give it a couple of years at least. I would imagine you havent even gone to court yet probably?

West Coaster had a point regarding your age. If your young..OK....you made a stupid mistake, but now your an irresponsible kid. If your older, what is your problem.....your still making kid mistakes.

I would bet almost all employers check your driving record and criminal record. One issue you are going to look at is maybe you are going to have to accept less than desirable jobs until you can put some miles between you and the arrest to establish a good track record. I definitely would not say your flying career is over by any means. But you have people who are just as qualified, if not more, who dont have your baggage.

NBIT...Im glad it worked for your friend, but unfortunately, I think its sad that your friends employer was impressed by your friends "honesty" .....considering he would be breaking the law if he did not disclose his DUI. A sign of the times I guess.....people are impressed when people do what they are required to do anyway. Of course, the law says your not supposed to drive drunk either.....

John.....Your chances of going to a High School are probably pretty slim, I guess depending on where you live. They probably arent going to let some stranger who got arrested last month come in and give the students advice on life without a thorough background and some serious jumping through hoops on your part. Just do what the court requires, and put it behind you. Dont try and be a hero...TRUST ME....nobody is interested in your story. Im not trying to be rude. Its just the reality of it.

does any body know how a DUI will effect my employment ? will in not be hired on by anyone ,does the employer check driving records or criminal court records? what is my best bet. i got it last december

Just curious, but was your driver's license automatically suspended, like it would be here in Maryland. Because if it was you need to notify the FAA NOW. Well actually within 60 days of the violation, but it has to be done in writing. FAR 61.15

If you are a member of AOPA there is a good article explaining the FAA side here.AOPA FAR 61.15

Chris

I hate to say it but there should be no pilot jobs for people with DUI's. Why on earth would someone expect to be allowed to carry passengers in something that flies when they can't make the right decision when it comes to something that drives?

It may have been youth, it may have been someone else's fault - but really it shouldn't matter. Life is about choices and if you choose to drink a ton and then get in a car you have to accept there are more people out there that will be less than impressed than those willing to offer flying jobs.

I've worked with a guy who had drinking issues and a DUI and was flying and it wasn't pretty - ever. Sometimes people deserve a second chance - but they have to show that they are deserving of getting one. I like the idea of someone who is genuinely remorseful going to school and talking to kids or taking the initiave to see if he can prevent someone else getting a DUI. That will show an employer that you maybe should be given a second chance. Unfortunately you just seem to want to get the charge reduced. This will show your employer you are unwilling to accept the consequences of your actions and will keep you out of employment.

Good Luck.

:unsure: