First Job after the magic 1,000 hours..

ProudFather

Just wondering..

For all you who went the now traditional route of school, instructing till the magic 1,000 hour mark. What was your first job and how did you go about getting it? How did it go for you? What kind of additional training if any, did they put you through and how long did that take? Did you get treated like the new kid on the block and have to wash skids at first or did they send you right up?

I would love to hear details from you on this one and I'm sure all those about to enter at that level would find it informative also.

Thanks....

Paul the curious.....

I stuck it out to 2000 hrs at a school and went straight into EMS. But, I was also doing photo/video work, 135 charter, tours, etc. Almost two years later, the job is still great! I didn't take very much crap, just general teasing since less than 5% of the company pilots were civilian trained at the time.

At 1000 hrs without an instrument rating, I was offered jobs by Temsco & Coastal. PHI and Era said they'd take me as soon as I got my instrument. I didn't want to move though--I was finishing my grad degree, and had a fiancee with another year of nursing school to finish her degree.

Just get the instrument rating before the 1000hr mark is reached. It will make everything easier. I wish I would have done it early on when I needed to build time rather than at 1900 hrs when I needed it for a job and nothing else.

I started working for a small Part 135 operator flying JetRangers with 700 hrs TT after spending a year or so as a flight instructor. I lucked out, I was in the right place, at the right time, and got hired by a cheif pilot who was willing to give someone of my experience level a chance. And about a year later I don't see myself wanting to go anywhere else.

When I started my checked out in the new equiptment. Whenever I was sent out on something new my boss would go over it with me and depending on the mission he would take me up for some additional flight training. After about a month I was deemed worthy of my first out of town mission and it was "here is a credit card and a helicopter, come back when the job is done and check in every now and again." And the job has taken me all over the midwest, every job different from the last.

I suppose I took a little flak for being the new guy. But not much more than I get now or give for that matter (every one is a target around the hangar). And where I work everybody washes the helicopters, even the boss (although not as often as the rest of us).

I started working for a small Part 135 operator flying JetRangers with 700 hrs TT after spending a year or so as a flight instructor. I lucked out, I was in the right place, at the right time, and got hired by a cheif pilot who was willing to give someone of my experience level a chance. And about a year later I don't see myself wanting to go anywhere else.

When I started my checked out in the new equiptment. Whenever I was sent out on something new my boss would go over it with me and depending on the mission he would take me up for some additional flight training. After about a month I was deemed worthy of my first out of town mission and it was "here is a credit card and a helicopter, come back when the job is done and check in every now and again." And the job has taken me all over the midwest, every job different from the last.

I suppose I took a little flak for being the new guy. But not much more than I get now or give for that matter (every one is a target around the hangar). And where I work everybody washes the helicopters, even the boss (although not as often as the rest of us).

What kind of jobs are you doing with this company? How many hours do you now have?

Thanks

Paul

What kind of jobs are you doing with this company? How many hours do you now have?

Thanks

Paul

Since I started I have flown charter, organ transplant flights, powerline patrols (visual and infrared), pipeline patrols, aerial photography (still and video), microwave uplink, hurricane relief in New Orleans, and a little flight instruction. Probably a few other things as well.

I have about 1200hrs now. I logged about 700 hrs last year, 500 since I started this job last May.

Since I started I have flown charter, organ transplant flights, powerline patrols (visual and infrared), pipeline patrols, aerial photography (still and video), microwave uplink, hurricane relief in New Orleans, and a little flight instruction. Probably a few other things as well.

I have about 1200hrs now. I logged about 700 hrs last year, 500 since I started this job last May.

Man, you have been busy! Sounds like everything is working out great with your career. Such a deverse range of flying at your hours. Hope my daughter has some of your luck (skill, as we both know)

Thanks for your response...

Paul

At about 700 hours I became chief instructor of our little school, and now a year later remain happily there! Getting some part-time ENG flying in the good old 206 rounds things out nicely, and there's enough variety to make every day interesting.

I've had unsolicited offers from Grand Canyon tour companies and GOM operators, which were hard to say no to, but for the immediate future I'm in a good place.

Edited by flingwing206