Heli Training

KTUCKER

In the USA, you have to be an officer with a 4-year degree to go directy into military flight training, with the *exception* of the Army's warrant officer program. Many years ago the Navy had a program called the LDO (Limited Duty Officer) program, in which, if you had an excellent enlistment record, and a certain amount of increased educational background they would commission you as an officer without a 4-year degree and allow you to enter the flight program. You already had to have several years of enlisted experience and it was a very difficult program to enter. I don't know if that LDO program is still active. Maybe someone could enlighten us. I know I have seen active Navy enlisted posting here.

For the WOFT (Warrant Officer Flight Training) program, you need to take the ASVAB, and score at least a 110 in General Technical. Which isn't too difficult. Provided you get that score, you then have to write the AFAST (Army Flight Aptitude Test) and score a minimum of 90. After that, you do a full Flight Medical, then go for an interview infront of 3 officers. In my case it was 2 army Captains, and an LT. Then it's up to Recruiting command to see if you're worth it. You then do your basic training, most likely at Ft. Benning in Georgia. Then head to Ft. Rucker in Alabama for WOCS (Warrant Officer Candidate School). If you pass WOCS, you're in the Flight program.

I tried to get in. I was DQ'd for my eyes, my uncorrected vision didn't meet the minimums. I went through the whole deal all for nothing. And the whole process took close to a year which really ticked me off. The recruiters did their best but that's all they could do. But don't get discouraged, it could work out for you.

Thanks Troops23

Will it help that i already have 5 hours of flight time? I was talking to my mom about it and i had forgot but we have bad luck in my family with WO. my cousin is a apache helicopter pilot and he was shot down in Iraq at the begining of the war (he was a POW for 20 days but he back and ok now). So i dont think any of my family qwants me to go that route. Dose anyone know anything about the USCG?

Thanks everyone for your help

Thanks Troops23

Will it help that i already have 5 hours of flight time? I was talking to my mom about it and i had forgot but we have bad luck in my family with WO. my cousin is a apache helicopter pilot and he was shot down in Iraq at the begining of the war (he was a POW for 20 days but he back and ok now). So i dont think any of my family qwants me to go that route. Dose anyone know anything about the USCG?

Flight time will always help - if you're humble and don't convince yourself you have it over your peers... With just 5 hours... ...After everyone else has a few hours, you'll all be on a level playing field in short order. It might help with hovering and that is about it... Probably, unless you're an experienced IFR pilot or at least have an IFR rating for the fixed-wing portion, and considerable experience in helicopters, it really won't help that much.

To go the USCG route, you go though USCG OCS (Officer Candidate School), then U.S. Navy primary (fixed-wing) flight training at North Whiting NAS (Naval Air Station), Milton, FL, then U.S. Navy basic and advanced helicopter training at South Whiting NAS, Milton, FL. The training is for the most part, the same as U.S. Navy and Marines go through. The OCS portion of the training differs from the other branches cause you are taught things about the USCG mission, traditions, history, etc.... You *have* to have a 4 year degree to qualify, and go through a stringent selection process... I'm not USCG myself, so maybe someone here who has been through the training can elaborate...

The U.S. Navy administrates the flight training for the USCG, Marines, Navy, and conditionally, some foreign military branches...

Thanks Troops23

FOR COAS GUARD INFO, CHECK THIS OUT:

http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/dcprograms/blue21.htm