helo-r-fixed wing

charlie

Alright I need some help FAST! I'm a senior in high school and i am graduating in May. Right now i'm trying to decide wether to go helicopters or fixed wing. I've found both a helo school (Vortex Helicopters) and a fixed wing school(Delta Connection) but now is the hard part which one do I choose? I absolutely love to fly and have no preference with one over the other. But what are the advantages of being a helo pilot vs. a fixed wing airline piolt. Which one pays more? And some day I would love to have a family which one would be better (time away from wife/kids) and i've heard lots of talk about strikes and airlines layoff thousands of pilots, is the helicopter industry more stable... so to make a long story short ...Which one would be best I know you guys can't choose for but please please I need some direction

Any information is welcome and will be greatly appreciated

Charlie..

OK quick answer. Pay sucks for either. For the first two years you will be flat broke - in debt if you took out a loan.

The airlines are in free-fall, unions going bust for the legacy airlines while the low-budget carriers are hiring like crazy (and paying peanuts).

Helicopter operators are just realizing that the pilot shortage everyone has been predicting, then ignoring, IS HERE! The pay still sucks, but if you have the 1,000 hours and half a brain, you have a job.

So which - helicopter or airplane? Depends on how much money you have RIGHT NOW. If you can afford the $50 - $60K it takes to get the CFII R-H, that's the way to go. However, if you can only afford $20 - $30K, then it's airplanes for you!

If this sounds cynical, it isn't. The jobs are out there, but there's no free ride or short cut. Airplanes are cushier and easier, helicopters are where the action is, but the first two years after you get your CFI will be lean whichever path you choose.

Hope this helps!

hey,

You can do both if you go to Bridgewater State College. Thats what I did, started in fixed wing in the Delta Connection program and then got my helicopter ratings at Ace helicopters and am working on a degree at the same time. Just my opinion, but flying helicopters is much more fun.