Waiver for a pilot who has a color deficiency

grabmeier

In technical terms, I have a color deficiency. I can see colors, but not as good as others. Certainly I can see the difference between red, green and white. How do I go about getting a waiver for my third class medical certificate so that I will be valid for night flight or by color signal control?

Once/If I do get the waiver, does it have to be renewed?

v/r

Eric

You need to contact your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO)... explain the situation, and they will arrrange for you to take a signal light gun test. If you pass the test the examiner will give you a waiver that you must present each time you take a flight physical to renew your medical. The waiver will not need to be renewed... its good for life as far as I understand.

I had the same problem... I am now a flight instructor... its not a big deal, as long as you can pass the light gun test.

-D

Excellent. Thanks for the prompt reply.

v/r

Eric

Eric

The light gun test is done by one of the FAA people out of the FSDO. I'd suggest you ask the tower to flash you a series of lights to see what they look like beforehand if you haven't already done so. The lights in the test will be random and you can't miss a single one. Pass it and you receive a copy of a "Statement Of Demonstrated Ability" or SODA. This color deficiency is very common in males and I have been operating with a SODA for over 30 years without problems. That included my 1st Class physicals.

For my Canadian Commercial license, I did a Canadian physical and the color deficiency was covered with a test of colored disks that I had to arrange in order of shades. I passed it as well.

Flyinrock ATP CFII/RAM

So do I have to be in the air for the light gun test or can I be on the ramp? Does the official test require you to be in a pattern and do it then?

Your on the ground, Make sure to call early. I had a friend that had to do it and it took almost 3 months for him to get an appointment.