Would anybody be interested in this?

i4iq

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in something I'm thinking of developing for my own use.

It's simply an online log book with the addition of scrapbook functionality for uploading pictures, bloggs and other items. The idea being to keep a more personal "journey" and allow others to see it online (if they want to!) or just for ol' time's sake.

It'll have search features and reports for outputting FAA requirements and publishing blogs. I've seen some online logging software (that you have to pay for) but nothing yet that enables a journal/scrapbook functionality.

It'll be free and if anyone has got any comments, wishlist or whatever, I'd be keen to hear them...

Yeh, It's a great idea and i'd definatly be interested. I currently use LogBook Pro which is a great logging software, but it doesn't allow for any scrapbooking. As far as your online version goes, it would be nice to have email reminders for currencies, medical exams, etc. Like if I got a reminder saying, "you haven't done any night flying in quiet some time, better get three night touch and goes soon if you wanna stay current," that would be nice. Good luck, and if you're looking for help with the coding or a place to host it, I can definatly help you out.

Nope, I played with logbook Pro back in the Late 1990's , I didn't like it much then and since I went to Mac a few years back its a moot point. Of course I am just another old guy. Paper Logbooks suit me just fine, that is when I even bother to do logbook entries. I guess the whole blogging and Journal thing is pretty popular. I don't really care about that sort of stuff, I think there will be a good demand for what you want to do, most of the others are geared toward fixed wing, If you online logbook is formated more for helicopter pilots, you should do well with it, then again helicopter pilot being helicopter pilots maybe not.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

HeliZach - thanks for the offer. I'll be developing in an ASP.Net, so if this is where you can help, I'll give a call if I get stuck!

Safelog costs $60 - this'll be free. You'll be able to download your own data too if you want it.

(I'm also thinking of adding an SMS to web service to log the flight time...)

Any other comments?

Guest pokey

I know this would be a H U G E endeavor, but what about maintenance logs? I know there are some out there, i never used them, are they anygood? I quit logging pilot time loong ago........

Guest pokey

i4iq

There are many reasons for my interest in the maintenance logs, for 1) I hate filling them out ! 2) Alot of the logs i see are not properly filled out, hard to read some handwriting, & sometimes even unclear what the person has done.

A few years ago i set up a log entry for the 300 that i have been using ever since--basically just change the hours, date, Nnumber & delete what you dont need, add a few extra squawks that you may have corrected. & your done ! I can do a very concise (up to 6 or more pages) 1200hr/annual inspection log entry for the 300 in about 10-15 minutes, (where as the old-fashioned way with a pen, i could spend the better part of a day !) I have it set up in "sections" ie:disassembly, inspection, re-assembly, AD's & all quoting the various pages, paragraphs, procedures in the HMI. It has P/N's of normally replaced items, such as O-rings, lock washers etc....& everytime i do a helicopter that i have added something different to the entry? it gets put In & can easily be deleted for the next ship IF not required. The AD's are listed in the entry, alto i wanted to give them their "own" section also--but?--that is stilll in the works, so are the life-limited component/tracking records.

It sure makes life alot easier for me !! altho i only have worked on it for the 300's--as thats what i work on the most.

I also take pictures of the ship, it's parts disassembled, but? i havent set that up to be part of the entry- ( a picture is werth 1000 words)

Guest pokey
Pokey

What format are you now using? Do you have a setup in Excel, some kind of database etc?

I guess setting it up for 300's and R22's might be useful to some. Is your situation typical of many?

I have it setup in microsoft word, altho if it were in some sort of data base you could really get carried away & make it really fancy, w/P/N's, AD's & such.

I have shared this so far w/ 2 other friends/mechanics & they say the same thing--sure makes life alot easier, one guy even uses it on a 135 ship & you know how picky the FAA can be about 135 logs.

Dont know how typical my situation is,, ANY other 300 people out there care to add?

I am extremely picky about logbooks tho, (probably alot more than most & i should be) I like to explain why i did something, how i did it, & what/who authorized me to do it.