canopy cleaning\polish

500E

I am sure there was a load of posts regarding scratches and how to keep the screens free from , cant find them any ideas Think Mirror glaze was mentioned Thanks

Back in 1983 I was operating a B206 in the bush for 2 weeks and the bugs were splattered thick on the screen.

I took some warm soapy water and a kitchen sponge and lathered the little critters and started to sponge them off. Some were extra-crusty, so I turned the sponge over to the fluffy plastic bit on the other side, and the bugs just disappeared. I cleaned all the screen that way, then rinsed off the soap suds, admiring my handiwork.

Then the screen dried off. And it suddenly became milky and opaque. The scouring side had totally crazed the screen.

So, get a can of Silvo and a soft cloth and polish it all out - took about 2 hours, taught me a good lesson.

To answer your question, if your screen is scratched, use silver polish and a soft cloth. If it is just dirty, don't use a kitchen sponge.

Lemon scented pledge with a microfiber cloth works well. I use it on my motorcycle as well, and it doesn't have a scratch to show for it. Just make sure you keep the cloth clean.

I was told from our mechanic that Lemon scented pledge is not good. After alot of use it will start to yellow the windshield. But I will say that I as well have used it on my motorcycle, and know of many others that have for a long time with no ill effects.

I use Honda Spray Polish, it's safe for shields. I belive Plexis (SP?) is also very good.

I was told from our mechanic that Lemon scented pledge is not good. After alot of use it will start to yellow the windshield. But I will say that I as well have used it on my motorcycle, and know of many others that have for a long time with no ill effects.

I use Honda Spray Polish, it's safe for shields. I belive Plexis (SP?) is also very good.

It can yellow the windshield, but the leftover pledge will be stripped off whenever you wash the helicopter with soap. Also, cleaning the entire helicopter with pledge (after a regular washing) will help prevent bugs from sticking.

Guest pokey

I have always used PLENTY of running water and bare hands, (as you can "feel" when there is dirt between the glass & the rubbing surface of your hand alot sooner than if using rags OR sponge), (make sure ya dont have any rings on) on both my aricraft, followed by lemon pledge,,, had the plane since 1988 & the helicopter since 1990. Glass on both is still in excellent condition w/ no scratches OR discoloration.

Do you think its the Pledge or the lemon that does the trick. have used non cented pledge on MC cscreen as well as glasses with good results, have polished out scratches with butterfly paper and then Silvo.

Still cant find the previous posts about the topic,

The thing that makes "Pledge" work is the silicone. The silicone leaves a residue that is greasy and feels kind of soft. The way to clean any Lexan shield is to use Mil-Standard rated polishes. Meguars makes 3 grades of "Mil" cleaners and polishes. You can usually find them at auto parts or motorcycle accessory shops. They run about $20 for a bottle and are non-abrasive. They also disolve bugs and other stuborn debris on your winshield. If this sounds like too much just stick to the pledge. Wet a towel with water and lay the wet towel over the bugs to soak and soften them. They will wipe away after a few minutes.

The lemon dont do it for me there is a nice lavinder one !

Realy I was just seing what others did and Pledge appears to be the favorate,

perhaps Johnson. a Family Co. ( it said so on the Tin ) should send a few freebies to all at VR.