My road to Helicopters.

Ok, so heres my story. I have decided that flying helicopters is what I want to do with my life. After continuos research of about the last year I have decided that Vortex is the school for me. I plan on going and visiting them this summer, and getting my intro flight.

I have not made any contact with the school yet, should I go ahead and call them to schedule a tour and what not? The only thing with that is they are in the process of moving/rebuilding at the moment. Secondly should I go ahead and apply for a loan from Sallie Mae? This is the only way I can afford it and i plan on financing it all through them. Oh and i don't plan on starting until next summer, because I want to finish up my associates degree that im getting for free.

I may be leaving a few things out but this is a good start.

Thanks,

Josh

best thing to do is show up unexpected and if you are interested try a demo flight if you havent done so already. this way you will see how things run without them expecting you. then if you are still interested try another school and see how they work.. still interested?? look at financing options or means of finance

It's great that you have a strong interest in flying helicopters, but whatever you do, don't make the commitment yet. You asked about applying for the loan, yet you have not had your first flight yet! When you sign on that X, you are making a large commitment that can and will affect your credit situation for quite some time, depending on the size of the loan. You want to be sure that flying helicopters is what you love. Get a few flights, paid out of pocket, and make sure you're in love. If not, it's like paying for a wedding, honeymoon, kids, and divorce up front, without having ever met your soon-to-be wife!. Secondly, VISIT MANY SCHOOLS! Every school has something different to offer. Talk to instructors, former and current students, ask lots of questions. You may find that what you've read on websites and forums is very different from the actual aura of a school. It's very much like picking a college. You don't read about them online, pick one you like, take out a loan, and hand over your money without making sure you feel comfortable with the school and can form a relationship with the personel there. After all, your own school is your best chance of initial employment, so make sure you can see yourself their too. Most importantly don't make any hasty decisions, it is exciting to think about, but THINK IT THROUGH and get those intro flights done before thinking about a future in aviation and a loan.

Hey Josh,

My advice would be to do what the others said and when visiting the school or any local school buy some of the recommended books and start learning. You have to do the work yourself at any school and you can get a head start that way. Also get a first class medical before you sign for any loans. You might not be able to fly for some unforeseen reason. A local shool will have all the info for local doctors. The first class cert is the most stringent and will make sure you don't spend 60K for no reason. Do it soon!!!

Best of luck!

Huey

Ok, thanks for the quick replies so far guys. I realize I left out some pretty important information that would help you guys give me some advice.

To start off I am a very miticulous buyer, I am a tight wad and I don't spend my money on any thing unless I have really done my research on it and I feel it is worth my hard earned money. That goes for anything, including flight school. Secondly I am 19, no children, no wife, and ready for an adventure. By the way, I do NOT want to go into the military.

Also I am planning on going into the GoM after instructing, so thats a big reason I have picked Vortex as my first school to visit.

If anyone has or is attending Vortex I would appreciate some input on your side.

Oh as far as location, I live in Missouri and there are not really any local schools in my area. I looked at Midwest in St. Louis, but was not impressed and I also heard a few not so good things about them. Any other big schools like Vortex within 10 to 15 hours I would love to tour so please feel free to post info about them. (I would much rather go to a large school than a small one, mostly because financial liabilities of new small schools, and the acredidation gained from larger schools.)

Oh and as far as my loan question, I think you guys kinda misunderstood, I was basically just wondering how long the application process took, and when I should start applying if I wanted to have my money and start training next summer.

Thanks Again,

Josh

I got my loan through Key Bank. Process is quick, did it all online in less than an hour, signed some paper in the mail, then my school had the money. Whole process took me about a week.

Like the others said, buy some literature (far/aim, asa test prep books, prepware software).... anything to get a jump start.... Good Luck!

Oh, and about the GoM, in the past year we have had 3 instructors leaving for work in the gulf. Two were about 1000 hour pilots, the last was at 500 with instrument ticket and was snatched up for second in command. From what I hear from the guys down there, operators are actively hiring....many with considerably low time (~500 hours).

In no way do I have enough experience to comment in most any thread asking about what path to take, but I can agree whole-heartedly with what Huey said about the medical certificate. I ALMOST bit on the SSH speal, and feel sorry for those that jump into anything (talking about Heli schools) without getting the medical cert. first. I have a few things that the FAA questioned and now am taking the correct steps to get them solved. What would have happened if I didn't catch it soon enough and was out $70,000 or however much they got from me before I could stop the money from being disbursed? Yes, the medical is the first thing you go get after you decide that you really want to do this! This should be on everyone's mind before signing loan papers.

I also trained and currently fly out of Midwest. If you elaborate on the negatives that you "heard", perhaps I can put a little light on, or dispell those altogether.

I'm no schill for Midwest Helicopters, I only fly there because it's the only one nearby, but that being said, my experience has always been a positive one.

I trained with both Dan and Johnathan, and can tell you that both are excellent. Johnathan left a year ago to fly med evac. I can't speak for any of the other current CFI's.

Their equipment is well maintained and is rarely "down".

I would much rather go to a large school than a small one, mostly because financial liabilities of new small schools, and the acredidation gained from larger schools.
If you finish your training with a CFII helicopter, nobody will care where you got the rating, and when you get your 1,000 PIC, the GOM operaters will care even less. There may be plenty of valid reasons why you want to attend a large school, but "accreditation" shouldn't be one of them. As far as financial liabilities are concerned, I'm a little unsure of what you mean.