Training Apache Pilots video

I do not see it??? :blink:

I just checked and it's still there on the main page. Go to the far right hand side under "FREE VIDEO from FOX news" The main video is shots of the downed c-5 and under that there is a "Most Watched" Section and it's the first story.

Make sure the window is not "minimized" as you might not see the videos on the right hand side.

good luck

Cool video - but did I hear the reporter right in that students spend 100 hrs in the simulator? Is this after original flight school or as part of it? Or just part of the Apache training after original flight school?

Several airframes to include getting simulator time in IERW both in the primary and instrument phase use a significant amount of time in the sim.

For phases like basic instruments, you fly a good bit in the full motion TH-67 sim. You will follow that up by many hours in the real thing.

When its time to move to your advanced airframe whatever that is the simulators allow you to be fully knowledgable on systems and to some extent ATM tasks before actually having to waste both time and money in the real thing. As an IP, having a student who knows the cockpit, systems and basic idea makes the training in the aircraft much more valuable.

Aircraft like the Apache and KW, systems can be a make or break skill. At some point flying is flying, but being able to operate systems, avionics and weapons will determine mission success.

I do however highly disagree with the comments on the clip that the Aviator is able to intergrate fully with thier unit upon arrival and has the skills that a expericenced Aviator who has been in theater develops. There is NO substitute for hands on experience. I will however give them a great idea of airframe performance and situational awareness on what to look for.

I get guys straight from the new flight school 21 program who in some respects are a better product then the old system, but still are unprepared for the most part to be RL1 mission qualified aviator right away.