Would you be interested?

Study Guides  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy an indepth study guide aimed at commercial students?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you already own a study guide you bought previously?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Look at the contents of the guide posted, would you be interested in buying such a study guide? (Roughly 500+ questions total)

• Gimme-Gimme!
    • No thanks

Contents of the guide would be:

Airframes & Engines

Human Factors

Flight Instruments

R22 Type Exam

VOR & NDB

AIP Exam (Canadian students only)

Vancouver VTA (Canadian students only)

Flight Operations

Helicopter Theory of Flight (4 sections)

Air Law (4 sections)

Navigation (3 sections)

Meterology (4 sections)

Complete Practice Exam (5 sections with over 350 questions total)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contents of the guide would be:

Airframes & Engines

Human Factors

Flight Instruments

R22 Type Exam

VOR & NDB

AIP Exam (Canadian students only)

Vancouver VTA (Canadian students only)

Flight Operations

Helicopter Theory of Flight (4 sections)

Air Law (4 sections)

Navigation (3 sections)

Meterology (4 sections)

Complete Practice Exam (5 sections with over 350 questions total)

I think you should make it

West Coaster,

I think you have obviously put some thought into this. It could be a very useful thing. I have often dabbled with a similar thing myself.

It is not a new idea, but there is always room for improvement on the guides that are out there already.

One thing you haven't clearly stated, is what the study guide is for. Is it for specifically FAA / Transport Canada....? Is it for oral questions or written examination questions?

Without stating these points, it makes it difficult to 'vote' in your poll or to comment constructively.

Just my thought...

Joker

Perhaps we as a group could put together a Wikopedia-style question bank. I have a collection (Joker, I'm sure you're familiar with a lot of it) of about 300 PVT/Comm oral Q's.

It's geared towards the TC written exam, though most of it would be usefull for training pilots anywhere. In Canada the oral exam is done right before your test flight and is more a formality than anything. Not sure how it works in the US.

It wouldn't be written as a study/answer guide though. Just the questions... all multiple choice, you'd have to research the answers yourself.

Any input on what folks might like to see in such a guide, fire away. ;)

It wouldn't be written as a study/answer guide though. Just the questions... all multiple choice, you'd have to research the answers yourself.

Any input on what folks might like to see in such a guide, fire away. ;)

You wouldn't include the answers at all? Not really a study guide then, more like a test booklet. A good study guide should have the answers, if not with the question, then at the end.

I hear ya. Been kinda toying with the idea of including the answers. But my thought is that some folks might just use them to memorize the answers and possibly not gaining as much from the whole thing if they looked them up for themselves. Knowing an answer and understanding it can be two totally different things.

It's all a pipe dream for now though, be a few months at least untill I make a final decision on wheather to do it or not and what the format would be.

Keep the input coming. B)

not only should it have the answers, it should be multiple choice.

the answers sould be listed at the back of the book, all of the answers listed with the questions should be listed in the back for each question with an explanation(SP?) why each is right or wrong with references to the training texts.

It's already multiple choice, no worries there. ;)

Sounds like everyone's pretty solid on wanting to see an answer key too. Will have to dig up the one I came up with and have others proof it... don't want to give out false info haha.

As for references for the answers, easier said than done I think. Though it would be a great tool to go along with it, almost every school uses different text books. My school used Cyclic & Collective as well as a binder written out by the instructors themselves. Also used From the Ground Up which pertains to the fixed wing world, but full of usefull stuff for us too. I do like the idea though, will try putting my head around making one that would be universal.

Nope, it's news to me amigo but thanks for pointing it out. :)

Any idea what it covers exactly... everything my little project hopes to or more?

The oral exam given in the States is pretty alien to me so I'm clueless as to what it's all about and what a guide like that would contain.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a great idea. I hope to start my training in the fall and am always looking for any information that will help. I am looking into National Helicopters flight training. Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, I've started putting it into my computer now.. and damn I forgot just how much is crammed into this thing!

Been typing for two straight days now and only 1/5 finished at 50 pages so far. Added up the questions from all the sections... a whopping 1139 in total. Yikes!

God I'm gonna have a bugger of a time proofing the answers though haha. Already keep getting side tracked while typing trying to figure out what they are again. Some are worded very craftily mwahahaha!

Any more votes out there or input... now is the time gang. :)

Next time I come across one I'll post it. Many are worded with one or more possible answers, but you have to pick the one that's the most correct haha... kinda like the real exams students will right. ;)

Okay, found one in the Helicopter Operations section. Two answers are dead wrong, and 2 are almost identical... the difference in the wording and trying to figure out just what is being implied is key. To a student the answer might not be very obvious.

-The recommended sequence of events immediately following an engine failure during cruise is

A. Cyclic forward, collective down, control yaw with pedals then turn into wind. Select the best spot to land and position the helicopter downwind of that spot

B. Cyclic back, control yaw with pedals, collective down. Cyclic forward, select landing site and turn downwind of that site

C. Collective down, control yaw with pedals, cyclic to establish attitude and speed. Select you’re landing site and position the helicopter for an into wind approach

D. Collective down, control yaw with pedals, cyclic forward. Select a landing site and position the helicopter downwind for the approach

Here's another tricky one. When all else fails... RTFQ x2

-When conducting a confined area type operation, the primary purpose for the high reconnaissance is to determine

A. If the area is large enough to execute a takeoff after landing

B. The height of any obstructions surrounding the area

C. The suitability of the area for landing

D. The type of approach to be made

Guest pokey

definately C for the 1st one,,,, the 300's tail starts to fly & if ya dont pull back "abit", yer looking "down" ,,,plus the downwind approach? nope ----(anyone ever fly w/ the military horiz stab?)

as far as the 2nd? ONE @ time please :unsure:

Guest pokey

i gonna go for broke here & choose C for the second one too :o

D is close tho,,,and IF the landing area is NOT crawling w/ crockodiles, i will take D into serious consideration B)

here's my back up.

FAA rotorcraft flying handbook

chapter 10 page 1

High Reconnaissance

The purpose of a high reconnaissance is to determine the wind direction and speed. a point for touchdown, the suitability of the landing area, the approach and departure axes, obstacles and their effect on the wind patterns and most suitable flight paths into and out of the area.

so answer C falls into this but for the purpose of WC's ? i beleive D to be correct, remember it is a trick ?

Guest rookie101

I am going to say C. It is the only one that has the helicopter landing downwind and cyclic going back. Aside from that, I don't know. (screen name says all) and for the record, no I am not basing my answer on what pokey and 67 said.

rookie