civilian to army

ok. first off i would like to say thanks in advance to anyone with input on the board with this one.. basically i have over 1000 hrs pic and enlisted in the army as 88m because i have a ged and the only way i could enlist was going reserves then transfer to active if i chose too. now originally i was planning on enlisting as my current mos because i wear contacts and was told i have no shot at flying military. so i opted for the next best thing, transport in light to medium vehicles. so heres the question, i was told by my recruiter that i should still try and go ocs AFTER basic and ait because technically i will be " prior service" and they will wave the college credits needed because i will recieve those in basic and ait and they might be a way around the eye issue. now i know recruiters tell you anything to get a body in and i enlisted knowing i probably wont fly army, i just wanted to serve my country and its a good way help repay my student loans. what are some thoughts and input on the situation at hand. thanks in advance..

ok. first off i would like to say thanks in advance to anyone with input on the board with this one.. basically i have over 1000 hrs pic and enlisted in the army as 88m because i have a ged and the only way i could enlist was going reserves then transfer to active if i chose too. now originally i was planning on enlisting as my current mos because i wear contacts and was told i have no shot at flying military. so i opted for the next best thing, transport in light to medium vehicles. so heres the question, i was told by my recruiter that i should still try and go ocs AFTER basic and ait because technically i will be " prior service" and they will wave the college credits needed because i will recieve those in basic and ait and they might be a way around the eye issue. now i know recruiters tell you anything to get a body in and i enlisted knowing i probably wont fly army, i just wanted to serve my country and its a good way help repay my student loans. what are some thoughts and input on the situation at hand. thanks in advance..

You cannot waive the full education requirement for OCS, as far as I am aware. Could be different for Army Reserve though. There is an enlistment program specifically for OCS. Check Army Regulation 601-210 Paragraph 9-15. That talks pretty specifically about the requirements. You don't need a full degree, but you do need 90 hours in college. You won't get 90 in BCT and AIT combined. Maybe 30. Do you already have credits? They always say it's easier from the inside, but you never know if that's just recruiter talk! There are some active flyers in here, so they might be able to shed some light on that better than I could. I am a Prior Service WOFT applicant, so I have been through all the crap right up to selection. I go to the USAREC Board next month. However, I am a regulation hound, so I've been through these a hundred times. Maybe you should think about the Warrant Officer Route??

Two resources for you to check:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

That is straight from the horse's mouth right there. That is USARECs guide to WOFT, if you're interested.

and:

http://www.armyocs.com

This one is a forum. Once you sign up, make sure you post an intro. They get their pants all bunched up if you don't! Once you do that, everyone is really helpful.

Best of luck to you!

Dave

I agree with Dave. Look into the Warrant route. And don't necessarily think you're disqualified because of vision issues. The Army will take pilots as long as they have correctable vision to 20/20. I'm not sure what the max limit is for basic acuity... but if you can fly civilian under a second class medical, then there's a good chance you can in the Army too.

And don't trust recruiters. When it comes to OCS and Aviation... they could care less about you and will tell you anything to get you to sign up for basic.

I can see the tactics have not changed for the recruiters, when I inquired about WOS it was a waiting list 1 and and half years long. if you have the op to get into the WOS stay on the list. take my word for it. Ft. Rucker is the best experience to have

thanks guys. i am correctable to 20/20 so says the army, and i have a first class medical. i have no college credits. just my flight training to speak of. i will be trying to go warrant from the inside and hopefully it works out. if not driving isnt so bad. im still doing my part :D

thanks guys. i am correctable to 20/20 so says the army, and i have a first class medical. i have no college credits. just my flight training to speak of. i will be trying to go warrant from the inside and hopefully it works out. if not driving isnt so bad. im still doing my part :D

The warrant process can be VERY tedious and drawn out. A LOT of minutia. If you have any questions, please let me know. Nothing about regs and all that stuff, but just dealing with the board, what's good to include in your packet, etc. Also, don't hesitate to call USAREC. I've talked with the program manager, Joe Howell, a couple times. His phone number is right there on the website. He ALWAYS made time to answer any question I had.

Best of luck to you!