Army National Guard

I am 33 and have always wanted to be a military aviator. My biggest setback upon graduating college years back was that I didn't meet the 20/20 requirements. I did however pursue my private pilot license and have worked in the aviation industry over the last 10 years.

With that said, I was recently encouraged by one of my colleagues, a retired Naval aviator, to pursue a helo slot with the Florida Army National Guard. My family is supportive and am anxious to pursue what has been a dream since childhood.

I would like to start by looking at the two units in FL (171st and 111th). I would appreciate any helpful tips or insight that you could provide as I begin this endeavor.

I am 33 and have always wanted to be a military aviator. My biggest setback upon graduating college years back was that I didn't meet the 20/20 requirements. I did however pursue my private pilot license and have worked in the aviation industry over the last 10 years.

With that said, I was recently encouraged by one of my colleagues, a retired Naval aviator, to pursue a helo slot with the Florida Army National Guard. My family is supportive and am anxious to pursue what has been a dream since childhood.

I would like to start by looking at the two units in FL (171st and 111th). I would appreciate any helpful tips or insight that you could provide as I begin this endeavor.

good luck and i hope all goes well. i am doing the civilian to army jump after basic and ait. i am from nj but living in south florida. give me a pm if i can help with anything.

Talk to a recruiter about where you stand. OCS for the guard is nice in the fact that you can either go the 7 or 8 (I forget what exactly) weeks straight, or you can do it once a month and two weeks during the summer for a little over a year.

Flight Aptitude Selection Test

All applicants must take the Flight Aptitude Selection Test (FAST). A score of 90 or higher is required on the FAST to qualify for further processing of an applicant for flight training. Applicants who fail to score 90 may be re-tested only once and no sooner than 6 months after first testing.

Medical Qualification

Applicants for initial entry flight training must meet and maintain class 1A medical fitness standards per AR 40-501 (See following table) until the class to which they are assigned begins aviation training. Applicants who have successfully completed a military flight-training course must meet Class 2 medical fitness standards. Applicants may not request a flight duty medical examination until they have a minimum passing score on the FAST. Flight Duty Medical Examinations for applicants expire 18 months from the date of examination.

Be older than 18, but not more than 30 years of age at the start of flight training (USAR and ARNG applicants may not be older than 27 years 6 months at time of application) Waiver’s can be requested.

Vision

Distant visual acuity. Uncorrected worse than 20/50 in each eye and/or not correctable with spectacle lenses to 20/20 in each eye; with no more than 1 error per line on the Armed Forces Vision Tester or projected Snellen chart at 20 feet. Astigmitism in excess of +/-0.75 diopters of cylinder. Hyperopia in excess of +3.00 diopters of sphere.

Linear Anthropometric Dimensions

Total arm reach equal to or greater than 164.0 cm.

Sitting height equal to or less than 102.0 cm.

Crotch height equal to or greater than 75 cm.

also check out http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinf...ly/blclass4.htm

Best of luck to you!

If you want another source of pretty good info on OCS, etc, check out http://www.armyocs.com

Make sure you post an intro there before you ask any questions in the forums. They FLIP out if you don't. However, it's a great source of info on just about any topic OCS, WOFT, Army related.