autorotation argument

Guest pokey
Simple fix for all the problems here.

Fly aircraft with more then one engine! :P

DUH ! :o of korse ! :blink: NOW why didnt i think of that b4 ? :rolleyes:

gonna install 2nd engine in my 300 this week !!! B)

oh BTW hawkdriver & 67november !! ty for the GREAT advice/tips :unsure:

How about if one does a steep flare in a fixed wing and stalls just before he hits the treetops? He'd basically end up going straght down, wouldn't he?

You're right! If you are over a dense level forrest the option is stall over the tree tops and pray that you don't catch on fire in the crash before you can get out. (I knew of one of these, they got banged up a little but all were OK). At least you have protection around you.

OK, now you're in an R-22 , first you have 10 seconds to decide where to go and <30 sec for the ride in to a .5mile zone(Vs 3 minutes to set up in a F/W, 3-4 mle zone if you were at 1500 agl @500ft/min - good numbers to remember). Then you are coming down @ >1800 ft/min and you are looking fwd to the 2 swinging cutters out there coming in to visit and that 1/8 plastic to protect you from them and the tree's. If you have a "hover hole" you will have to waste all your stored energy to get stopped 5 or? stories up and here comes terra firma, you're a falling rock and wishing you were in a F/W. Let's face it, motor failures are getting very rare except for fuel starvation anyway, other things are causing crashes now relating to the guy in the seat. Weather kills most of the F/W and always has, and it seems to be a grab bag for heli. Maybe that's a better direction for this discussion to go. Main thing I have found is these ships give you plenty of warning before you lift off, do good preflights and fix it then! Listen to you're conscience, be informed and know what makes them sing. Safe flying to you.

C of G,

I used to love going up for those 'instructor-instructor' recurrency flights and doing those 180s, didn't you?!

"OK, which skid do you want in the spot? Left or right?" "Toe or heel ?"

I'll never forget Stephan's face when I chopped the throttle on him in a hover!

It looks like you overshot the one in the video by about half a foot! Isn't that a beer for Anders?!

Some teaching points arise...

For anyone learning how to do autos...look at his eyes...mostly outside, then replay the video and watch the airspeed...steady between 52 - 62kts. Point: Don't rely too much on the gauges.

Next watch for the point of flare initiation and check the altitude...about 100' indicated. Field elevation is about 34' if I remember rightly. Point: The secret to the short run on and the accuracy is in the earlier progressive flare! This does take some skill though. Disclaimer: Never try anything new without discussing with your instructor first!

Pokey's mate makes a really smooth run-on, but flares lower which results in a longer ground run. Note the forward speed he has when he has to level to avoid tail strike. (Of course we don't know what the headwind components are.)

Joker

P.S. Will answer your 76/139 PM later.

Have you ever auto'ed in an R-22?

In most cases yes. Asked my instructor a hypothetical question about being in a 100 foot hover in a R22 and the engine dies? He said, "I dunno, let's find out."

Wish I had a camera... the result was a thing of beauty. If anyone's ever looking for a school in Canada I can for sure point you to the best instructor in the country! B)