Degree Required

Guest rookie101

Guest rookie101

So, title says it all and I am sorry ahead of time if this has already been stated or I should have already figured this out, the screen name says it all. I want to know because, if you've read my "What to do??" thread then you know, if you don't know my current plans are not to take college and work to save up for flight training/A&P certification. So now I gotta know what helo jobs I might be screwing myself out of. BTW, I haven't completly ruled out college, but right now it is definetly on the back burner. Thanks to all who post,

rookie

Aside from military, or Federal Law Enforcement I dont know of any that require a degree. The VERY few times Ive even seen it on a job description it is only listed as soemthing that would help out. Obviously anything you do will put you ahead of the opther guy/gal. But I would say being a Pilot and A&P would be much more benificial than having your degree in something. Being a Pilot-A&P is going to be a gold mine to an employer and a potential cost saver for them. You get two employees for the price of one.

Again.....my situation is a little unique and Im not in the civilian market

Just another opinion, Get your degree! You can fly while you are going to school. I know it sounds crazy but I know several people who have started flying and decided it just was not for them. Two of them made it all the way to the CPL check ride. One took his check ride and never flew again. One guy went through the oral for the CPL and as he was going through the pre-flight with the examiner he told the examiner he was finished. He has not flown since. With a degree you will ALWAYS have something to fall back on. The fact is that in the vast majority of jobs the guy with the degree will always earn more than the guy who does not. 5 years from now you might have something go sideways on your medical and Uncle Sam will say “sorry, no more flying for you”. You might need that degree someday. I know it is tough when you are young and you want to get started in life and get started right now. The A&P is great too, but look at the pay scales and ask yourself if that will be enough for you if the pilot part falls through. Just my opinion, yours is the only one that counts for you!

I'm sure the thought of flying everyday sounds a lot more entertaining than wading through years of mind numbing college courses. However, a college degree will serve you better than a very specialized FAA CPL in the long run. You have to realize that ultimately aviation is a business not just a flying club. College degrees count when it comes to management and leadership positions that you might be looking for after several years as a line pilot. When it comes to competing with your peers who have the same flight experience and hours, a degree will make you more employable. It seems that you have looked into the multitude of organizations offering B.S. degrees in aviation along with helicopter flight training. There is no reason why you can't go to college and get your CFI on the side. You could instruct part-time and build those first 500 hrs while getting a valuable education. Forget the A&P for now and spend your money on college and the CPL. Also, enjoy your college years...there's plenty of time to hang out with the crusty old pilots at the logging site later in life.

I have a B.S. in Aviation Maintenance Management, a Masters in Business Administration, and an A&P / IA. None of these degrees were required for my EMS job, I didn't get any extra $$$, or receive any extra consideration--my 2000 hrs are what got me the job. HOWEVER, if I ever want to move into management, go into corporate aviation they'll definitely be a factor. And if I want to (or get forced into) a totally different industry, I'm set--because those 2000 hrs do not mean a thing outside of the aviation world.

As always, money is the hard part. The three aforementioned cost me over six figures (that does NOT include what I spent on ~400 flight hrs.) I did all of this at the same time right after high school--college, A&P, flight training, and the work to pay for it. Basically, what I did was financially secure my future by the time I turned 23. I took a LOT of money, working 360 days a year for 4 years straight, and not sleeping, but it was done! Don't procrastinate.....start it and go. I watched 80% of our students get started and drop out because they got their wife knocked up, had to move because of work, etc. By the time they could get back into it, a year or two had passed, and they had all kinds of additional debt and commitments.

Get started right away.....isolate yourself from the real world until you get all your certificates and degree....then your set for life. Sure, you're going to ignore "the best time of time of your life" in college--BUT, don't you feel sorry for all the people whose greatest moments existed during parties in their high school and college years?? I sure do, my life keeps getting better as the years go on.

-Jonathan

PS: About the companies wanting pilot/mechanic because it saves them a fortune.....yeah, don't whore yourself out like that. You'll have twice the duties/responsibilities on ONE salary. Now if they pay you a pilot's salary and 50%+ of what they'd pay a mechanic, that won't be a bad deal depending on the aircraft. Otherwise you're just screwing yourself.

You're young, get the CPL and go for it. You can also go to LBCC and take a few classes there. Over time, you'll get an AA, AS, or whatever letters they have, and you'll have a degree. Go to OSU also, and over time, you'll end up with a (lot of) BS degree too. One need not go to college now. I have an AAS and an AA. Still wrenchin' fer a livin'.

Experience!!! That's where the money is!!!

Later