Helo-Stories

I was on the ramp  as the 205 was lifting off for some longline training. I glanced over and frantically signalled the pilot to land. He hovered while conferring with the student then set down. The longline was hooked to a drum of cement and  looped over the skid. Would have really ruined their day.

• 1 year later...
******Vultures strike again*********

Not mine but one of my old instructors working at Ft. Rucker passed this along, happened quite recently.  

Needed notes...At Rucker they fly with one IP in the left seat, one student in the right seat, and one student behind the instructor to learn through osmosis.

The group in the 206 happened to run upon a Turkey vulture, the vulture impacted the instructor side windscreen and broke through hitting the instructor in his helmet visor which shattered and knocked the IP unconcious.  The instructor then fell over on the students cyclic, and having his hand on the throttle like a good instructor, rolled the throttle off to the idle stop position.  Starting an extremely nose down and right roll the student in the back unbuckled his seat belt and reached forward and pulled the instructor off the cyclic while the other student regained control and made a safe landing.  Damage---IP side windscreen and vulture blood in the cockpit (the vulture actually ripped in half with half stuck in the visor and half under the students pedals)  the IP got away with a broken jaw, broken sinus cavities, and hella amounts of pain.  Dr said helmet visor saved his life.  When the students were interviewed they said they did a complete 360 roll before control was regained but no one knows if this is true.

******Vultures strike again*********

Not mine but one of my old instructors working at Ft. Rucker passed this along, happened quite recently.  

Needed notes...At Rucker they fly with one IP in the left seat, one student in the right seat, and one student behind the instructor to learn through osmosis.

The group in the 206 happened to run upon a Turkey vulture, the vulture impacted the instructor side windscreen and broke through hitting the instructor in his helmet visor which shattered and knocked the IP unconcious.  The instructor then fell over on the students cyclic, and having his hand on the throttle like a good instructor, rolled the throttle off to the idle stop position.  Starting an extremely nose down and right roll the student in the back unbuckled his seat belt and reached forward and pulled the instructor off the cyclic while the other student regained control and made a safe landing.  Damage---IP side windscreen and vulture blood in the cockpit (the vulture actually ripped in half with half stuck in the visor and half under the students pedals)  the IP got away with a broken jaw, broken sinus cavities, and hella amounts of pain.  Dr said helmet visor saved his life.  When the students were interviewed they said they did a complete 360 roll before control was regained but no one knows if this is true.

Yes , I met this instructor, he was an IP in my primary class just last year at Ft. rucker, he still teaches. Are you a army aviator? Where are you stationed?

Here's one that happened to me....I submitted this text to ADHeliProps a few years ago.

------------------

I was prepared to solo a student for the second time in a brand new R22BII. We departed our ramp toward the airport’s helicopter practice area. Upon entering the right crosswind, the tower instructed us to make this first landing a full stop rather than our normal “cleared for the option.” While lecturing my student, I overheard the tower say something about an over flight and a “break”. I listened for the reply, but didn’t hear anything (I now realize they were on UHF.) We turned right base while descending to 400 AGL and were about to turn final when I noticed an F/A-18 Hornet at the same altitude over the south parallel runway doing at least 200kts. I enthusiastically said, “Hey, check that out!” Less than a second later—abeam our position—he started a fast right break and came at us. I slammed the collective down and entered a right 180 degree autorotation to get under him. It appeared that he tightened up his turn to avoid us as well. We were less than a 1/4 mile apart. Had we both not taken corrective action, a collision, or jet blast could taken us out of the sky.

-------------------

Scary stuff. After that, the tower always had EVERYONE on the ground anytime a fighter jet was coming in for landing. Oh, my student still wanted to solo that day.....That was a good thing since I really wanted to get out of that helicopter.

• 7 years later...

I have never, ever, done stupid stuff. That's why I sit in management, as a check Airman, pronouncing stern judgment on all those incompetent lunatics below me. I am the Immaculate Conception. I don't smile much, and I have no sense of humor. Woe betide you, young feller!

Right?

(Yeah, right.) (motherF$@#!!R)

Okay, I might have messed up at least once in forty years.

here's the story: A Big Whoops...

:unsure: