VERY old british tandem rotor piston heli flew over my house, help me identify *PIC*

Sorry for the long title..

I just saw something awesome. A very, very old british (I think) helicopter flew over my house at no more than 500 feet.

It was tandem rotor, piston, VERY VERY loud, very slow, simply AWESOME. Very thin fuselage...

I did some searching, and came up with this.

It was one of these helicopters. I believe it was the first of these two. Im quite sure they were 3 blade rotors.

This helicopter had the small 'wings' on the tail, ect. It was very low and quite slow too, I did get a VERY good look at it. Had my camra been in my hand, I would have got pictures and video.

From my research, Im finding that this helicopter is very very rare and built in the late 40's or early 50's.

It was black, and had the word "ARMY" on the side. If anyone can comment, or shed any light on what one of these old heli's is doing in my neck of the woods, I'd appreciate it. I would LOVE to see it flying again.

b17312rb.jpg

b17341ks.jpg

I had never seen that aircraft before you posted the pics - very nice looking tandem!

I don't know where you live but if you're in the US, I would find it almost impossible to believe that you saw that particular aircraft flying. If you live in Europe/UK then it might be a bit more possible, but still unlikely (I'm not as familiar with what sort of vintage helos are flying over there). Keeping vintage helicopters flying is much more difficult than with airplanes.

In the US, there is, as far as I know, only one vintage tandem rotor ship flying, and an outfit called Classic Rotors (out of southern California I think) is who's flying it. IIRC it's the Piasecki "Flying Banana" piston-powered aircraft. I have seen it at a couple airshows, but as I recall its flying days are numbered as replacement blades are either extremely difficult or impossible to find.

(later) oops, I was a bit mistaken, apparently (at least as of 2002) there were two or even three vintage tandems flying: http://www.rotors.org/news/06222002.htm. But I will bet that you saw the third ship from the left in this photo:

http://www.rotors.org/images/4-GEN-PIASECKI.jpg

Does that look like it?

Dave Blevins

Sorry for the long title..

I just saw something awesome. A very, very old british (I think) helicopter flew over my house at no more than 500 feet.

It was tandem rotor, piston, VERY VERY loud, very slow, simply AWESOME. Very thin fuselage...

I did some searching, and came up with this.

It was one of these helicopters. I believe it was the first of these two. Im quite sure they were 3 blade rotors.

This helicopter had the small 'wings' on the tail, ect. It was very low and quite slow too, I did get a VERY good look at it. Had my camra been in my hand, I would have got pictures and video.

From my research, Im finding that this helicopter is very very rare and built in the late 40's or early 50's.

It was black, and had the word "ARMY" on the side. If anyone can comment, or shed any light on what one of these old heli's is doing in my neck of the woods, I'd appreciate it. I would LOVE to see it flying again.

b17312rb.jpg

b17341ks.jpg

I had never seen that aircraft before you posted the pics - very nice looking tandem!

I don't know where you live but if you're in the US, I would find it almost impossible to believe that you saw that particular aircraft flying. If you live in Europe/UK then it might be a bit more possible, but still unlikely (I'm not as familiar with what sort of vintage helos are flying over there). Keeping vintage helicopters flying is much more difficult than with airplanes.

In the US, there is, as far as I know, only one vintage tandem rotor ship flying, and an outfit called Classic Rotors (out of southern California I think) is who's flying it. IIRC it's the Piasecki "Flying Banana" piston-powered aircraft. I have seen it at a couple airshows, but as I recall its flying days are numbered as replacement blades are either extremely difficult or impossible to find.

(later) oops, I was a bit mistaken, apparently (at least as of 2002) there were two or even three vintage tandems flying: http://www.rotors.org/news/06222002.htm. But I will bet that you saw the third ship from the left in this photo:

http://www.rotors.org/images/4-GEN-PIASECKI.jpg

Does that look like it?

Dave Blevins

Thanks for the replys....

Dave, I am in fact in southern California. (very close to March ARB, Miramar, ect)

I dont even believe myself when I 'say' this, but I want to say the small 'wings' in the rear were

angled upward... and the fuselage was straight, and not curved.

However, I think I am convinced the aircraft you are referring to (the "flying banana", I think its nicknamed)

must be the ship that flew over me. The word ARMY was on the side. It had 3 blade rotors, and was MUCH MUCH louder than a turbine tandem, such as the Chinook. It sounded like 10 P-51 mustangs flying very slowly (at a low RPM) over my house! It blew me away, it was so neat. (I am a heli pilot in training, so of course I was fascinated) It looked like the huge rotors were spinning so slowly, yet the engines sounded like they were working overtime. Loud, loud, loud... and low.

I can only hope I see this bird flying over my house so low again, or at all!

Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it.

-Matt

Dave, update...

Yes. That is the helicopter I saw.

Classic Rotors is located at Ramona airport, and that is exactly the direction it was heading. (ive flow into Ramona numerous times!)

I am going to take a trip down there and check out these birds up close, if they let me!

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT> Even more certain now. Classic Rotors had an airshow at March ARB on April 29, and 30th... They must have been flying her home

after the show. I am right in line from March to Ramona. I am really exited that I know where this thing came from now, and will be attending

the next Classic Rotors airshow in about 2 weeks. Thanks Dave, ya made my night!

It is a Bristol 192 Belvidere as Flight wing 206 says note position of rear aerofoils

Prototype flew in 1958

Try this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Belvedere

here is another /www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk/

Dont know where you are based but acording to web site all remaining units are in the UK