Rotor blade dangers

this is a reminder, even thou the a/c is experimental/homebuilt it's still a good idea to be sure that you're aware of your surroungings.

also another case for the use of helmets.

IDENTIFICATION

Regis#: 3322T Make/Model: EXP Description: ROTORWAY 162F ROTORCRAFT

Date: 04/29/2006 Time: 1925

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N

Damage: None

City: BOWIE State: TX Country: US

DESCRIPTION

N3322T, A ROTORWAY 162F ROTORCRAFT MADE A PRECAUTIONARY LANDING DUE TO LOW

FUEL, AS THE PASSENGER EXITED THE AIRCRAFT, THE SLOW-TURNING ROTOR BLADE

STRUCK THE PASSENGER IN THE HEAD CAUSING A MINOR INJURY, BOWIE, TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0

# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 1 Unk:

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

67November,

I remember this one! What a way to go! Tim Tucker at the Robinson Safety Course talked about this one. Poor safety briefing! Could have been completely avoided. Plus there have been 2 more in the last 6 months too(S-76 and a Dauphin).

My wife and I always joke when I'm drivingflying...."Safety First", but it's sooo important with your safety briefing with your passengers!

Rob

NTSB Identification: LAX90LA319 .

The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 43630.

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Saturday, September 08, 1990 in LONG BEACH, CA

Probable Cause Approval Date: 11/23/1992

Aircraft: ROBINSON R-22, registration: N80750

Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Uninjured.

THE PILOT LANDED AND DEPLANED A PASSENGER WITH ROTORS IDLING. WITHOUT ASSISTANCE, THE PASSENGER EXITED TO THE RIGHT AND WALKED INTO THE TAIL ROTOR.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

THE PILOT'S INADEQUATE PASSENGER BRIEFING, AND HIS FAILURE TO PROVIDE PROPER ASSISTANCE TO THE EXITING PASSENGER.

Guest pokey

This happens all too often, even ONCE is 1 time too many!

Lets ALL be careful out there & pay attention to everything that is going on around us !

I live in N.J. and off airport landings are against state law, i asked a NJ DOT inspector once ( who was surveying the airport for $$ imrpovements) why it is illegal in NJ to land a helicopter (or airplane) off airport?

He told me that back in the 30's or so a governor's daughter got run over by a sea plane, & the gov decided to ban off airport landings.

IF this is fact? i never been able to verify it,,, BUT?!! lets ALL be carefull !! ( you see what happens when politicians get involved)

BTW? ( if i were a politician?, i wuddah put a ban on governor's NOT allowed to have daughters OR swimming ones) makes sense to me ! :rolleyes:

of korse !

This crap just pisses me off. In my experience I have found it really has no bearing how much you brief passengers they will still be dip shits. There is no way to make sure they dont hurt themselves or the aircraft. I have spent 10 minutes telling people not to open the doors of my aircraft and still right when I land the first thing I hear is a pop of a door opening. Then I scream at them in a homicidal manner. Next landing the same exact thing happens! What is wrong with these idiots!

Guest pokey
not anywhere near the Lindon County Airport...?

Nope, about 50 miles west of linden, near the delaware river. I have flown in/out of linden many times tho, & worked at omniflight helicopters there back in the early 90's.