• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jaybird737

Jaybird737

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 21:20

I am considering to aquire an OH-58 for aerial application. Most of the OH-58's that I have seen for sale are in the experimental category. How would I go about getting the category changed.

#2 pokey

pokey

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:just about anything interesting
  • Company working for:my own

Posted 13 May 2006 - 15:52

IF all the time component cards are there? i dont see why your local FSDO couldn't help.

over the years tho, i have had many discussions about "experimental" catagory,,,,, the bottom line is? either a homebuilt OR up to the local FSDO. If that doesnt work? try Oklahoma city, they are the governing office.

ie: Anyone ever try to get a "timed out" helicopter certified in the "experimental" catagory? I have heard some say it can be done, ( i personally wudn't even consider it) and would love to hear of anyone that has done it successfully. ( altho i will graciously decline a ride in it)

#3 Timbersprayer

Timbersprayer

COM Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Company working for:Scott's Helicopter Services Inc.

Posted 13 May 2006 - 22:09

If in experimental - no work for compensation.
If its in experimental , that may be all that it is elligible for here in usa.
some Oh-58's built under contract for foriegn military - so not able to prove TC conformance , thus experimental only.
There are several aftermarket TC's available for restricted opps , but only certain S/N ships will comply.
If ship has proper P/W a special use airworthiness for restricted opps can be issued if conformity is done with a DAR. Most aftermarket Restricted TC's only for certain type spray systems -- and may need a field approval for the spray sytem itself which is a big challenge these days, if no STC for it. Of recent most
letters of limitations - very limited agricultural opps only etc. and no congested area work.
Go with civ 206 -- better deal all around-- some have done well with the 58 , but bought in back when you
could get a ship up andgoing for 250 or less. <_<

#4 helojim39

helojim39

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 18:19

I am considering to aquire an OH-58 for aerial application. Most of the OH-58's that I have seen for sale are in the experimental category. How would I go about getting the category changed.

Call Vic at Aero Falcon in Porterville, CA

Edited by helojim39, 02 July 2008 - 18:20.

#5 spraypilot

spraypilot

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Bass Fishing and Flying. Thats it..
  • Company working for:Contract pilot

Posted 06 July 2008 - 18:32

I don't know how you get one converted to restricted cat. but you will have to. The last one I flew had a datta plate, that said Garlick OH-58. I can tell you this I have 11,000 hrs. ag time, have flown Hiller, bell 47, Sikorsky s55, Hughes 500, and the OH-58 is the best ag ship I ever sat my ass in.
Are you in the ag business now? Got lots of work?Got a platform truck? need an ag pilot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200HeliAviationVRGen200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200JR Aviation General 200HeliHelmetsColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200OdysseyGeneral200BristowGeneral200