Actual pay for ENG

After reading the posts in the ENG section, there were a couple people that asked about pay for ENG pilots, but none of the replies showed any actual hourly rates (or salaries). I think one reply said something like "$160 for 9.5 hours", but that would equal only $16.84/hour. Is that accurate? I'm interested in this type of work once I get through training and build the hours needed, so of course I want to know what kind of living I might make at this.

Any ENG pilots willing to say what their actaul pay rate is? Or, any operators willing to say what they actually pay their ENG pilots?

Thanks

• Like 1

A lot depends on the market, but ENG pay is (for the same amount of years in the job) about 20% higher than GOM pay, for example. The downside is you are tied to a pager, and depending on where you work, flying "splits" - say morning traffic from 5AM to 8AM, then on call in the day, then evening from 4:30PM to 7PM. So the earnings are good, but the hourly wage is hard to judge.

Most folks choose ENG because almost always you will sleep in your own bed every night, you fly an area you are (or get) familiar with, the flying can be fun and challenging without being particularly hazardous, and the pay is more than adequate. An actual number? Somewhere out there, a mid-time ENG pilot is averaging $5100/month before taxes.

Hello, I fly ENG in the midwest and have found that salaries are negotiable based on experience and the strength of you negotiation skills. As far as a standard for ENG there is no published scale ala the GOM or EMS. If you are starting out with no experience then you do not have much to bargain with, same as other sectors of this industries. ENG like other specialties has a learning curve and most operators will put you out on the line with minimal or no training and expect you to perform. From my experience ENG can be challenging,interesting and frustratrating due to personalities in the aircraft competing for whatever agenda drives then (same as every other job except you will not get fired for disagreeing with a reporter or camera operator, unlike a flight nurse in EMS). I like the fact that I am not flying a single 100 plus miles offshore, not that I have done it but many of my friends have/are and the stories I here do not intrigue me. EMS is not for me again not that I have done it but I fly 50-60 hours per month and know many EMS pilots that fly 50-60 hours per year. As far a quality of life issues you can expect to be home most evenings. If you get on a 2 pilot operation then you will have at least every other weekend free from the pager. If you have any interest in law enforcement during your career than ENG will help you develop skills similar in that you will be able to find streets, areas of the city and track targets on the ground well. ENG is not the hardest job out there but self dicipline is required to keep yourself out of potential trouble 1.HOGE over large metropolitan areas with very few forced landing choices, 2. Pressure to fly in crap weather, etc. I make between 50-60K per year and enjoy what I do. I have flown in the mountains/ remote locations and have a interest in utilility but my current set of circumstances prevent me from persuing that side of the industry for now. That may have been TMI but thats my take. Keep the nose into the wind and good luck.

you can email me if you have more specific questions

flybyapproved@yahoo.com-------new address!

• 1 month later...
After reading the posts in the ENG section, there were a couple people that asked about pay for ENG pilots, but none of the replies showed any actual hourly rates (or salaries). I think one reply said something like "$160 for 9.5 hours", but that would equal only $16.84/hour. Is that accurate? I'm interested in this type of work once I get through training and build the hours needed, so of course I want to know what kind of living I might make at this.

Any ENG pilots willing to say what their actaul pay rate is? Or, any operators willing to say what they actually pay their ENG pilots?

Thanks

I was probably the one that posted $160 for a 9.5 hour shift. This is what the company was paying a little over a year ago for a second shift ENG pilot is the San Francisco area. Second shift was not guaranteed any flying time as the station did not use the ship for the evening commute traffic. So, take it for what it's worth, $160 whether you flew or not. And to think that I pay the CFI's working for me more than an ENG job was paying.

Doug

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have anything to say about working part time for Heli Inc? Is it a good company to work for? And what is part time ENG like as far as hours and pay?

I work in the GOM and considering taking a second part time gig.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have anything to say about working part time for Heli Inc? Is it a good company to work for? And what is part time ENG like as far as hours and pay?

I work in the GOM and considering taking a second part time gig.

I fly for them part time and really enjoy it. The schedule will depend on what contract. I think their standard pay is $250 a day.