Helicopter for Yacht Operations?

Kc135Delta

Hello, again.

I'm in a search for the best light helicopter suited for yacht operations, I need a helicopter to operate off a 130-140' expedition yacht which is still in the design phase. I want to know what pilots prefer helicopter wise and landing pad config.

helicopter wise, we are looking at light turbine (preferably twin turbine). We were considering the Long jetbox (206 long ranger) becuase it only has a 2 bladed rotor head which allows for much easier storage becuase the helicopter will be kept in a hangar. So folding rotorheads or twin bladed is a must. We were also considering the AS355 becuase of it's twin engine qualities. But we prefer the seating arangment of the long ranger due to the fact that it makes deboarding and loading much easier for shuttling large amount of pax to/from the yacht.

any input is appriciated from helipad/hangar design to helicopter choice.

the single engine 206L over water is a scary thought in my mind, even knowing the reliability of turbines.

thanks, drew

the single engine 206L over water is a scary thought in my mind, even knowing the reliability of turbines.

thanks, drew

Drew, I have absolutely zero experience in the world of yacht and helicopter operations. However, I know a few things about yachts, and yachts of this size are better described as "mega-yachts". And I've been known to fly a helicopter occasionally so here goes.

Since the yacht is also for expeditionary use, I think that parts availability world-wide is probably a number one or two consideration. Limiting yourself to a 2 blade rotor system sure limits the number of birds that you could consider. I think if I was spending $10 Million on a mega yacht with built in heliport, I would want more options than a R44 or a 206.

There was a pretty good article in the last year in either Vertical or Heli-Ops magazine on yacht operations. I would find it, and track down the pilot/consultant that was interviewed in the article....and go from there. You have the beam in a yacht this size to handle a larger rotor, I would find a way for that naval architect to make it fit. The resale value alone could be worth it.

2 cents from Goldy

Well if it has a folding rotor head (foldable blades) like the AS350 or 355 has one. Then it dosn't have to be twin bladed.

I have also talked to a naval architect and he has the specs as

length ; 140ft

beam (width) ; 34ft

so if the rotor head dosn't fold and has more blades than just two, then it would have to be less than say 32ft, which I know of nothing that small except the md-500 or somthing along those lines.

• Like 1

140 feet isn't that big, and a light turbine helicopter will set you back a million or so, so it's not a minor expense. Add in the maintenance, and you had better be prepared for some major spending along the way.

Many companies have been flying the 206 hundreds of miles offshore for decades. I would suggest putting popout floats on it, just in case, and going with that. It takes up much less room than anything else you can find, even with the blades folded on the others. It's been around for a long time, and the bugs have pretty much been worked out. Parts are available worldwide, because there are so many of them flying everywhere. It's not the fastest, nor will it carry the heaviest load, but for use on a yacht that isn't really a problem. Over very short legs, speed doesn't make much difference, and you can carry a minimum fuel load giving plenty of payload. Get a few drums of Corrosion-X, and liberally coat the insides, everywhere, no matter what model you get. Corrosion in salt air sets in very, very quickly, and you need to prevent that.

If this is a serious project you are taking on, then I'm sure you will have seen this article in HeliOps, by my mate Nigel at HeliRiviera.

On Board The Big Boats - Nigel Watson

It goes through many of the considerations for a project like this. Why not drop him a line. He might be useful...although I'm sure he gets questions everyday, so might be a little reserved with his 'free advice'. Worth a go though.

Joker

I wish I could simply "buy a bigger yacht to suit" but every foot that you add onto it costs major $$$. The current one that has been drawn up for me will require twin 850hp diesels and we will only make about 14knts an hour so anyone with basic math skills will notice that it is going to cost major $$$ to run. If I stepped it up to 150' then it was reccomened that I top it out to 1k hp per engine plus add another 2 deckhands to the payroll.

140 is about as big as I can go.

I wish I could simply "buy a bigger yacht to suit" but every foot that you add onto it costs major $$$. The current one that has been drawn up for me will require twin 850hp diesels and we will only make about 14knts an hour so anyone with basic math skills will notice that it is going to cost major $$$ to run. If I stepped it up to 150' then it was reccomened that I top it out to 1k hp per engine plus add another 2 deckhands to the payroll.

140 is about as big as I can go.

34 beam is perfect, Enstrom is about 33, so is the EC 135, the EC 120 is a tad shorter..and yes, check out that article..and as far as the engines on the yacht...check out the MAN 1100 HP.

Hello, again.

I'm in a search for the best light helicopter suited for yacht operations, I need a helicopter to operate off a 130-140' expedition yacht which is still in the design phase. I want to know what pilots prefer helicopter wise and landing pad config.

helicopter wise, we are looking at light turbine (preferably twin turbine). We were considering the Long jetbox (206 long ranger) becuase it only has a 2 bladed rotor head which allows for much easier storage becuase the helicopter will be kept in a hangar. So folding rotorheads or twin bladed is a must. We were also considering the AS355 becuase of it's twin engine qualities. But we prefer the seating arangment of the long ranger due to the fact that it makes deboarding and loading much easier for shuttling large amount of pax to/from the yacht.

thanks, drew

EC120 with pop-out floats - an honest 115 - 120 kts, quiet, lots of room inside, nice baggage compartment, air conditioning, good to start up in the wind, and yes you can fold/remove the blades easily.

BTW, as an offshore pilot, I'd take one engine and floats over two engines and no floats any day. With any helicopter operating in a salt-water environment, expect to spend a lot of time preventing damage from the salt air. Daily compressor washes, regular airframe treatment (the composite tailboom helps), and shorter component lives.

Hello Goldie,

one point to think of, when do you want the helicopter to operate?

Just, when the yacht is somewhere stationary on anchor - or even, when going through rough sea?

And there is the point, where 2 bladed rotorheads get real problems....

Think about a deck, rolling and pitching, while you try to engage the rotor - or shut it down.

You need a rotorhead, capable of taking negativ g to operate then.

(Even, if you say, only close to a harbour - what do you do, if someone needs urgent medical treatment, say broken leg due to slipping away in rough sea?)

Another point - skids or wheels.

Even so, you can put wheels on skids, to move the helicopter, its much easier done, if the helicopter has wheels right away.

Landing is also smoother, because of the suspension.

So another point to think off.

Unfortunately, a Sea Lynx is a military helicopter - and a little to big for the yacht - but perfectly suited for onboard opertions.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/mhp4a-1.jpg

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/3226/display/3890222

The nice pictures at rough seas seem to be removed :-(

So if you would ask me, evenso I like to fly Bell - I wouldn't go for a Bell with shipborne operations.

Hard to find smal helicopters - a covered tailrotor (fenestron) or high tail rotor would be prefered - for safety reasons

And thinking about restriczions - a "low noise" helicopter like the EC 120 wouldn't be bad, evenso, it doesn't have wheels.

Greetings "Flying Bull"

Hi,

just found a video - fitting this thread...

Thats one reason why you should have a fenestron or high tail rotor....

Greetings

"Flying Bull"

Todays' Classifieds

FOR SALE- Enstrom 480 Helicopter, great condition, brand new tail rotor and shaft !

Experienced pilot available. Lots of time over water, wearing new pair of shorts.

Whatever happened to lifting off straight up to a hover??

Hi,

just found a video - fitting this thread...

Thats one reason why you should have a fenestron or high tail rotor....

Greetings

"Flying Bull"

This one is being heavily discussed over at PPRuNe - it was apparently an uncommanded takeoff.

This one is being heavily discussed over at PPRuNe - it was apparently an uncommanded takeoff.

Fling- are you saying the pilot did not intend to take off ? I distinctly heard the change of pitch before lift off as he was pulling power.....either way. damn lucky to be alive.

KC- Don't let Lynn Tilton hear you say that ! I know nothing of the 600, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

It looks to me like the pilot was starting to bring in power as the deck was pitching up, and accidently took off when it dropped away, timing would be very critical to lift off the deck at the high point of the deck pitching. Lingering in a low hover as the deck is coming up again would be very dangerous.

I'm glad to see no one on deck was injured, soiled perhaps, but not hurt.

Might a Schweizer 333 work for you? Turbine, small disk, low operating cost... Here's the website:

http://www.sacusa.com/helicopters/333_technical.asp

Might be an option.

Later

How much weight do you need to carry and how many people? A R44, three passenger seats, can take about 1000lbs of payload. Or about 600 lbs of people and bags with full tanks of fuel. I only ask because of the low cost of operation. Very reliable aircraft as well. They make a Clipper model for off shore operations. Something to look into perhaps. Good luck.

The r44's T bar scares the h#ll out of me. It is about as un natural as it gets.

I would like to carry 4-5 pax at times but not many bags. On the other hand I found this thing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_SW-4 anyone know anything about it?

thanks, drew

KC 135

This is free advice! I have been flying operations utility for the better part of 20 years, hold a IFR NIGHT unrestricted ATPL. Took my initial training on a 47 because that was all there was. To me it sounds that you first priority is safety for the VIP's on board the helo. SO to begin with the AS355 has a blades that can be folded/ removed ( 2 pins per blade) . Even with a twin the second engine is only going to fly you to the crash site on a cold day straight and level so POP-out floats are a good idea, and who the hell is going to have the time to put on a little yellow plastic life jacket from 500 ASL when the sh*t hits the fan. Yes the regs are one thing but it seems to me that you are looking for safety, when I bucket even form a 212 I always wear a Mustang jacket. They only cost 100$ a pop. Forget about the R44 absolute piece of junk. Just had a friend that piled one in after leaving the factory and the blades delaminated. You need a turnine twin for the VIP's.

PM me is you need guidance.

Fly safe

Krusty