SK-70/H-60 Question

flyingseapig

I have a question that I am hoping someone might be able to assist me with. I tried to get the type rating for the SK-70, the civilian equivalent of the military H-60 on my commercial pilots license only to have it returned saying that the FAA no longer recognizes a type rating for the SK-70, saying that the type rating for the SK-70 has been rescinded. I thought it was an FAA requirement a type rating on any aircraft over 12,500 lbs. And I know that the SK-70 is used by the Los Angeles Fire Dept and some other commercial operators. Does anyone have any information on this? Or know if they have changed the designation for the H-60/SK-70? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a question that I am hoping someone might be able to assist me with. I tried to get the type rating for the SK-70, the civilian equivalent of the military H-60 on my commercial pilots license only to have it returned saying that the FAA no longer recognizes a type rating for the SK-70, saying that the type rating for the SK-70 has been rescinded. I thought it was an FAA requirement a type rating on any aircraft over 12,500 lbs. And I know that the SK-70 is used by the Los Angeles Fire Dept and some other commercial operators. Does anyone have any information on this? Or know if they have changed the designation for the H-60/SK-70? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I checked in AC 61.89e, and no type rating is listed for the SK-70. A type rating should be available because it is a civilian-use helicopter also. FAR 61.31 allows for an FAA authorization in lieu of a type rating, but for a limited time (60 days). There is a company (in Florida, I think) called FIREHAWK. Try finding their website and giving them a call to see how their pilots do it.

Jeff

I checked in AC 61.89e, and no type rating is listed for the SK-70. A type rating should be available because it is a civilian-use helicopter also. FAR 61.31 allows for an FAA authorization in lieu of a type rating, but for a limited time (60 days). There is a company (in Florida, I think) called FIREHAWK. Try finding their website and giving them a call to see how their pilots do it.

Jeff

Thanks. I did contact Firehawk helicopters and the type rating for the S-70 was rescinded. The employees are all working off of a Letter of Agreement they drafted between their company and the FAA. It sounds like the FAA rescinded it because the H-60, being primarily a military helo and not having much utilization in the civilian sector was tired of issuing all the military pilots Type ratings for an aircraft that had limited use on the civilian side. Now that it is being used more on the civilian side I imagine that they may have to reinstate the type rating or have fun writing Letters of Agreement with any company which opts to use the S-70/H-60 in the civilian market. Apparently anyone who received the Type rating before they rescinded it gets to keep it and it is still valid, the FAA is just no longer issuing type ratings for new applicants in the SK-70. Thanks again for your input.

Just to clarify a point...the LA COUNTY Fire Dept uses the Blackhawk/Firehawk helos. The LA CITY Fire Dept uses Bell 412's ( and a 206L for obs/coordination).

What is an SK-70?

SK 70 is the old designator for the H-60. Also referred to as a Blackhawk, Pavehawk, Jayhawk, Oceanhawk, Desert Hawk, rescue aircraft. In other words...its a really big single rotor, twin turbine helicopter. Dont ask me for all the individual differences, cause I really have no idea what I am talking about ! Sooo many better military guys out there that really know this ship.

This is an interesting question though....how are they going to continue to promote this ship in the civilian world if they can't license pilots to fly it ??

Edited by Goldy

SK is often used for SiKorsky aircraft. The S70 is certificated in the utility category, so there is no need for a type rating. Type ratings, AFAIK, are only issued for normal category aircraft, used in commercial passenger ops. You can't carry passengers in an S70.

I must be mistaken or misinterpret ted the FAR/AIM, I thought "Type ratings" were required for all aircraft with a gross weight of greater than 12,500 pounds regardless of mission if involved in PT 135 operations. I thought thought the requirement were based on aircraft size and weight more so than mission or purpose.

"K" is the military designation for a tanker.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the SK in SK-70 (S-70) is just the FAA's identifier for Sikorsky Aircraft when issuing ratings in type of aircraft on your licenses. I have a type rating in the SK-60, (Sikorsky, H-3 is the military designator). on my license. I don't htink it has anything to do wiht the mission type like being a tanker or anything even though those are the way the military identifies their different aircraft.

The S70 isn't involved in Part 135 operations. It's operated as a public-use aircraft, and thus no type rating, or even pilot's certificate, is required. Public use aircraft are operated by any government entity - US military, state, or local governments, including police departments. The FAA doesn't regulate any of these, so no type rating or license is required. I don't believe the S70 even has a civil airworthiness certificate issued, but I could be wrong about that.

Here is a PDF with the FAA's helicopter designations - Sikorsky is around page seven.

FAA helicopter designations

Here's a link with info on how the military designates their aircraft.

Military Designation Systems

...that's all I've got!

The S70 isn't involved in Part 135 operations. It's operated as a public-use aircraft, and thus no type rating, or even pilot's certificate, is required. Public use aircraft are operated by any government entity - US military, state, or local governments, including police departments. The FAA doesn't regulate any of these, so no type rating or license is required. I don't believe the S70 even has a civil airworthiness certificate issued, but I could be wrong about that.

Brainerd Helicopters or Firehawk helicopters from Florida is a civilian company that does utilize the S-70 for private use including contract firefighting, external loads, etc. They say they have a letter of agreement that their pilots are operating on to enable them to fly the S-70's commercially without a type rating for utility operations including firefighting, cargo transfers, etc.