EP's and limits on the UH-60

I am new to this website and to the helo world. Currently I am in the process of going through WOCS for the state of PA,(army national guard). I have everything completed and awaiting flight school which is supposed to be in 2008 but hopefully sooner(short fall). Talking to a couple of military pilots from all over they told me I could better prepare myself for primary at Ft. Rucker if I knew the Emergency procedures and limits of the UH-60 or the TH-67. I was wondering if there was any place where I could obtain such manuals? I would be willing to pay for them if somebody wants to get rid of ones that they would of had when they went through flight training. Also I was wondering on the membership at this website? What is the difference from newbi to VIP and how would you get to VIP. The reason I was wondering is because I would be intrested in the ability to buy and sell aviation supplies. I don't have a lot of money but would like some of my own gear,thats why I went with the Army in the first place. If all else fails I could use most of it in my other civilian ratings. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you for you time in advance.

I am new to this website and to the helo world. Currently I am in the process of going through WOCS for the state of PA,(army national guard). I have everything completed and awaiting flight school which is supposed to be in 2008 but hopefully sooner(short fall). Talking to a couple of military pilots from all over they told me I could better prepare myself for primary at Ft. Rucker if I knew the Emergency procedures and limits of the UH-60 or the TH-67. I was wondering if there was any place where I could obtain such manuals? I would be willing to pay for them if somebody wants to get rid of ones that they would of had when they went through flight training. Also I was wondering on the membership at this website? What is the difference from newbi to VIP and how would you get to VIP. The reason I was wondering is because I would be intrested in the ability to buy and sell aviation supplies. I don't have a lot of money but would like some of my own gear,thats why I went with the Army in the first place. If all else fails I could use most of it in my other civilian ratings. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you for you time in advance.

Greetings from a fellow National Guard pilot (UH-60). Learning the limitations and emergency procedures (chapters 5 and 9) ahead of time is always a great way to start flight school. You can buy flash cards for both aircraft at Wings or The Hanger (wings-aviation.com and thehanger.com) online or at their shops in Daleville Alabama. Also, since the TH-67 is the primary trainer, don't worry about the UH-60 stuff until you get to that aircraft or you will get confused. In order to become a VIP member, I donated to vertical reference's web site (to help offset costs associated with maintaining the site). Not sure if there is another way. Someone else here may be able to help. Good luck at flight school. The flight school 21 program puts out great new aviators.

By the way - when did the TH-67 begin as the primary trainer for the Army?

According to my information, the Army ordered the TH-67 in March of 1993 with the aircraft entering service in 1995. Previous to that, the primary trainer was the UH-1H.

By the way - when did the TH-67 begin as the primary trainer for the Army?

Thank you,I will have to look in to the flashcards. A study aid like that is exactly what I would be looking for. Would anybody know any other way to become better prepared for Ft. Rucker. Since I have at least a year to go I figured that I can start some study time to have a better heads up.

I am not really sure when the TH-67 became the primary trainer but I know it is current after talking to two pilots in my unit that graduated flight shcool in 2005. So unless they changed after 2005 its still primary. Thank you again for the help!!

According to my information, the Army ordered the TH-67 in March of 1993 with the aircraft entering service in 1995.

Really? That late? I thought it was in the 80's... I had a copy of a BELL memo re the loss of tail rotar effectiveness the Army was having & it was dated '84 I think, so I thought they were using it then....

Previous to that, the primary trainer was the UH-1H.

Damn, I had looked into flight school back in '82/3, & the army was using the little Schweizer/Hughes as its primary - at least that is what the pamphlets showed. When did they go to the UH-1H?

Really? That late? I thought it was in the 80's... I had a copy of a BELL memo re the loss of tail rotar effectiveness the Army was having & it was dated '84 I think, so I thought they were using it then....

Damn, I had looked into flight school back in '82/3, & the army was using the little Schweizer/Hughes as its primary - at least that is what the pamphlets showed. When did they go to the UH-1H?

I think it was around '88 or '89... but not sure. They had excess HUEY's (Blackhawk was making a big appearance) and figured a streamlined training program in utility/attack aircraft would be more beneficial for training. They actually used the Huey for utility basic combat skills until 2005. I was one of the first classes that didn't have the option to train in it for BCS.

By the way, to the original poster, get the TH-67 stuff and don't worry about the -60 just yet. The Rucker course is designed for people with no experience whatsoever (no matter what anyone tells you). Plus, you won't see a 60 until possibly 6 months or more after you start flight school. And, the 60's -10 is always getting updated (it also contains numbers for the A and L variants, and the M is not far off) so you should wait and get the most up-to-date info.

My understanding was the TH-55 (Schweizer/Hughes) was removed from service around 1988. After that, the army used the UH-1H until the TH-67. I attended flight school in 1991-1992 and flew the UH-1H for primary and instruments. I then tracked to the OH-58 for contact, basic combat skills, nights and advanced combat skills. The LTE memo you are referring to is for the OH-58 (basically a bell 206 with some slight differences) The A model 58 had the -18 engine (weak) and a weak tail rotor to boot. LTE was a big concern in that aircraft. The army eventually upgraded the OH-58A to the A+ (C-20 engine) and improved tail rotor. They also had a OH-58C model which also had the updgraded engine / tail rotor and some other differences (tactical mostly)

Take this advice from a former IP at rucker. The hardest part about flight school will be primary. The main reason is because it is new to you. You will be learning stuff you have never learned before and in ways you have never learned before. That is the main reason for the difficulty. Once you get to your actuall a/c you will have learned how things work and the memorization will come easier. Actually alot of the emer/limits for some of the advanced aircraft are similar to the TH-67 so that will make it much easier.

If you want to know what to study as someone else pointed out STUDY chap 5&9 of the TH-67. When I say study you want to memorize the limits and EP's as written, word for word, ver baten.

i.e. TOT 100-738 continous operation

738-810 5 minute transient

810 maximum

810-927 10 sec for starting

927 maxinmum for start

(note, these might not be exact as the memory has faded a little but you should get the picture)

If you memorize the flash cards as written as well as the notes you will have a big head start and wont feel overwhelmed. Your instructor will then help tie in the EP's and Limits together to help make sense. If you want leave your e-mail and I can send you some study stuff that I used to give my students.

1988 the TH-55 was replaced by the UH-1H as an interim trainer. The TH-67 was selected in 1993 with the Army taking delivery of the first aircraft later that year, totally replacing the UH-1H for primary training by 1997.

Guess I'm the late one!

Hey 500pilot,

My e-mail is tywagner@hotmail.com. I would defiantly be intrested in looking at the information that you e-mail me. I ordered the -10 cards from wings-aviation.com and hopefully that will give me a good head start. I ordered them for the TH-67. Also thank you for your time and helping me be more successful at flight school.

Also, you can go to www.aviationtrainier.com and it has all kind of stuff just for dude's like you. I used it back in 2004 when I was in primary and it helped me pass my "P2" checkride no problem. It site is maintained by a current LSI instructor at mother rucker, so the info is all up to date stuff. It also has parts quizes to help you learn where everything is on the TH-67. Very good site. Also I recommend the hangar for all your army aviation needs. My wife worked there while I was in school and the Clark's are good people. Good Luck!!

Also, you can go to www.aviationtrainier.com and it has all kind of stuff just for dude's like you. I used it back in 2004 when I was in primary and it helped me pass my "P2" checkride no problem. It site is maintained by a current LSI instructor at mother rucker, so the info is all up to date stuff. It also has parts quizes to help you learn where everything is on the TH-67. Very good site. Also I recommend the hangar for all your army aviation needs. My wife worked there while I was in school and the Clark's are good people. Good Luck!!

Hey thank you for the information. I printed it all out(which took awhile) but I have it. I also just go my -10 cards so that should keep me busy for awhile. On the -10 card,do you have to know every page word for word or just the key parts? If you do then I am glad I got the heads up because it looks like a lot to remember. Anyway thank you very much and your help is greatly appreciated.

Hawk Driver, what flight were you in during primary? I was in Charger Flight. Who was your IP? I worked there till 05 so I was till around then.

I was in Viking Flight and my IP was Mike Neale. (older gentleman with really long hair) I sure you know him I think he had been working out there for like 30 years. He was a great instructor and my hats off to all you (current or former) LSI guys out there putting up with us rookies!

As for me I read a lot of post on here about thinking twice before someone decides to go to army flight school. I'm currently in Iraq with about 7 more months to go and, I still wouldn't trade the training I recieved at mother rucker for anything in this world! You wont find better instructors or better equipment any place else. You guys not only taught us to fly, you taught us how to survive. Oh and the best part, I got paid to do it!

• 6 months later...
If you want leave your e-mail and I can send you some study stuff that I used to give my students.

I will be going to WOFT in June of 08 also.... If you can, send me some info!

FIREMAN 12 S AT HOT MAIL DOT COM!

Thanks in Advance :D