Army to Coast Guard

Has anyone here gone from Army aviation to Coast Guard Aviation? I am thinking about switching over but can't find a lot of information about it. I have been to the USCG website and looked at what little info they have on the "Direct Commission Aviator" program. Any info about the selection process and what to expect would be great.

Also, if there are any Jay Hawk drivers out there that can give me your day-to-day spill, that would be nice to. Thanks.

"Is the P clear?"

Has anyone here gone from Army aviation to Coast Guard Aviation? I am thinking about switching over but can't find a lot of information about it. I have been to the USCG website and looked at what little info they have on the "Direct Commission Aviator" program. Any info about the selection process and what to expect would be great.

Also, if there are any Jay Hawk drivers out there that can give me your day-to-day spill, that would be nice to. Thanks.

"Is the P clear?"

Hawk Driver,

I went through the direct commission aviator program and was accepted (unfortunately, had to turn it down.) in 2000. I had no clue how to navigate the program so I went to the local Coast Guard Recruiter and they helped me work through the process. It involved putting together an extensive packet and I also had to travel to Astoria Oregon for a job interview. The process took something like 6 months. When I did the program, there were restrictions (total hours, age, etc) but your local Coast Guard Recruiter should be able to help you out as the regs for these types of things always seem to change. Also, I was an O3 when I applied and was accepted as a O2 so if you are a CW3 or CPT you might take a hit on pay. Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

Hawk Driver,

I switched in 92 so it's been a while. You will drop back a paygrade if selected. There is a pretty extensive application process with interview by 3 current CG aviators. Your application and recommendation from interview panel will go to HQ which will hold a board to select from all the applicants. After selection, you attend a quick school to learn about the CG and then you report to your first Air Station. Sometime before or just after arriving at the Air Station, you will go to ATC Mobile for a transition to your aircraft (usually 5 to 7 weeks). Now you're a qualified copilot and you will stand duty approximately 1 in 4 (On duty for 24 hours every 4 days). You will have a collateral duty job that will fill all your non-flying time. Duty standers usually get from 20 to 30 hours flight time per month. More if deployed. At larger Air Stations you can expect a deployment once per quarter with the deployment lasting 1 to 4 weeks. You will move to a new Air Station every 4 years. Expect to remain flying for the first 8 to 12 years. HQ tour after that, then return to an Air Station as command and control. Send me an email if you have more questions.

Gary

• 3 months later...
Hawk Driver,

I switched in 92 so it's been a while. You will drop back a paygrade if selected. There is a pretty extensive application process with interview by 3 current CG aviators. Your application and recommendation from interview panel will go to HQ which will hold a board to select from all the applicants. After selection, you attend a quick school to learn about the CG and then you report to your first Air Station. Sometime before or just after arriving at the Air Station, you will go to ATC Mobile for a transition to your aircraft (usually 5 to 7 weeks). Now you're a qualified copilot and you will stand duty approximately 1 in 4 (On duty for 24 hours every 4 days). You will have a collateral duty job that will fill all your non-flying time. Duty standers usually get from 20 to 30 hours flight time per month. More if deployed. At larger Air Stations you can expect a deployment once per quarter with the deployment lasting 1 to 4 weeks. You will move to a new Air Station every 4 years. Expect to remain flying for the first 8 to 12 years. HQ tour after that, then return to an Air Station as command and control. Send me an email if you have more questions.

Gary

Gary,

I was curious if you knew anyone who has transitioned from the Army National Guard (aviaiton) to the Coast Guard. Thanks for your help. Please email me at joe__217@hotmail.com